Welcome to our Gymnastics Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Pac man verses boulder to help learn back handsprings??

Liontamer

Coach
Coach
Proud Parent
Club Owner
Fan
Sep 21, 2018
Country
USA
Hi! I’m new here. Please help. I have several kids struggling to learn back handsprings. Which is better to help them, the smarter spotter, pac man, or boulder? I’ve always done hands on double spotting for beginners but I have one who is very frightened of going backwards. (I think it’s because she’s a bit heavier and she’s afraid of being dropped.)

Jard.the.gymnast

Verified Coach
Verified Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Former Gymnast
Apr 12, 2017
Country
Netherlands
Pac man is not good for all sizes, especially bigger kids may struggle with their heads hitting the ground before their arms can reach

raenndrops

Coach
Proud Relative
Former Gymnast
Oct 24, 2009
The 'Wood, Ohio
Country
USA
They sell the pac man in different sizes which are designed for different heights. The same with the smart spotter and the boulder.
Of course, the boulder says you could just put panel mats in front of it (for shorter girls) or under it (for taller girls) to accommodate gymnasts of different sizes (which would also work with the smart spotter since they are basically the same thing).

All that being said, we have a pac man. It works well ... and for the taller / bigger girls, we can flip it upside down and have them go over the arc - which also works well for them for front walkovers and front handsprings (for smaller girls, we use an octagon for this drill).

Liontamer

Coach
Coach
Proud Parent
Club Owner
Fan
Sep 21, 2018
Country
USA
They sell the pac man in different sizes which are designed for different heights. The same with the smart spotter and the boulder.
Of course, the boulder says you could just put panel mats in front of it (for shorter girls) or under it (for taller girls) to accommodate gymnasts of different sizes (which would also work with the smart spotter since they are basically the same thing).

All that being said, we have a pac man. It works well ... and for the taller / bigger girls, we can flip it upside down and have them go over the arc - which also works well for them for front walkovers and front handsprings (for smaller girls, we use an octagon for this drill).
Ok great, that’s helpful. Thank you so much!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gymmom826 Women's Artistic Gymnastics (WAG) 27
wandrewsjr Women's Artistic Gymnastics (WAG) 19
X Community News 5