Parents Pak be straddleback

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I believe you’re paying for a service and it shouldn’t matter how long you have been at that gym, if you have a question about your child then they shouldn’t have a problem answering them

Okay! I think they are teaching everyone else a pirouette, because they do paks. You can't have a pak without a pirouette basically.

I don't teach pirouettes, I teach blinds and blind fulls. More useful, because my gymnasts will not do paks (they are all too tall for paks, we compete in the FIG setting in Europe) so why waste time teaching pirouettes, that doesn't lead anywhere. Blind leads to front grip skills (front giant, jaeger for example) and 360 degree turning skills, and both are CRs in FIG/elite. So by teaching the blind I coach my girls towards two or three CRs. By teaching a pirouette, I coach them towards none of these. I understand that these might be hard to understand as a parent or as a gymnast. The coaches might think that you know that they have bigger plans for your daughter, but they might want to keep that information private from the rest of the group because that would cause gossip and jealously. I don't know...

So please trust your coaches. I think their plan for her could be to train these CRs (for elite):

1) Skill with 360 degree turn: blind full
2) and 3) Different grips and single bar release skill: jaeger
4) Transition from high to low bar: straddle back, maybe leading at some point to Ezhova

To do a straddle back in elite routine, you also need to be able to do a blind, because otherwise there would be empty swing deduction. I think that in level 8 that is different, but I come from a different country so I can only speak about FIG.

I hope this helps.

Hi, my daughter is training elite and does a bail to handstand which is the same value as a Pak. Does your gym train Elite? Your daughter seems to be most concerned not so much about the skill, but that it means that she could not be going the elite path? I would presume if your daughter or any of her teammates were on the elite path you would know? Did you discuss this with the coaches during this conversation?

My favourite bar routines are the ones that don’t look like everyone else’s. It sounds like your daughter is talented and her coaches have the ability to coach high level skills. She has been scoring excellent on bars by the sound of it. I would try my best to trust the process, as difficult as that can be. And just have to add, that the feeling of catching the low bar on a straddle back and connecting a kip cast handstand afterwards is probably the best feeling I ever had as a gymnast. I wish they were still as popular as they used to be.

Okay! I think they are teaching everyone else a pirouette, because they do paks. You can't have a pak without a pirouette basically.

I don't teach pirouettes, I teach blinds and blind fulls. More useful, because my gymnasts will not do paks (they are all too tall for paks, we compete in the FIG setting in Europe) so why waste time teaching pirouettes, that doesn't lead anywhere. Blind leads to front grip skills (front giant, jaeger for example) and 360 degree turning skills, and both are CRs in FIG/elite. So by teaching the blind I coach my girls towards two or three CRs. By teaching a pirouette, I coach them towards none of these. I understand that these might be hard to understand as a parent or as a gymnast. The coaches might think that you know that they have bigger plans for your daughter, but they might want to keep that information private from the rest of the group because that would cause gossip and jealously. I don't know...

So please trust your coaches. I think their plan for her could be to train these CRs (for elite):

1) Skill with 360 degree turn: blind full
2) and 3) Different grips and single bar release skill: jaeger
4) Transition from high to low bar: straddle back, maybe leading at some point to Ezhova

To do a straddle back in elite routine, you also need to be able to do a blind, because otherwise there would be empty swing deduction. I think that in level 8 that is different, but I come from a different country so I can only speak about FIG.

I hope this helps.
Thank you. This is great input and gives a lot of clarity. I appreciate your perspective.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back