Parent Cheering for Gymnast Falls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OMG the gym owner seen this and says it is not her problem!I would be having a major problem with the owner for ignoring this problem.It is there problem they are the only ones that can do anything about it.Does this mom only direct this behavior to your dd only or others has well ,I would talk to the other team parents and have a meeting with the owner this type of behavior should not be accepted meets or practice!

I wish I could say I haven't seen this but I have. There really isn't much the gyms can do to control an audience response at a meet. There is no real way to prove who or what she is clapping for with so much going on at a meet (but I suspect your observations are correct). We have had it on our own team and I try not to sit with that parent if I can avoid it I do.

Well I do have to admit that I've cheered silently for a girl that fell at a meet. My DD wasn't even born at this point so it wasn't jealousy. This girl and her mother were awful people who made everyone else in the gym suffer. She was the star of the gym and the head coach let her and her parents act however they wanted because it was a new gym and they needed her. She was truly awful to the other girls and even the other coaches and her mother was as wicked as they come. I had no child at the gym, just a supporter. She dominated until Level 10. Then I'd like to think karma caught up with her and her mother. So yes when she started struggling and getting beat by other girl's at the gym I cheered silently. We all did. Even the other coaches were happy. Shortly after that the gym got a new owner and they kicked her and her mother out.

This mother was the kind of mother who would cheer for her DD's teammates falling. She was so bad that she would even get jealous of girls that were like level 6 while her DD was level 10 if she thought they were taking attention away from her. So I'm sorry to admit that it felt so good to see this girl fail. If that makes me a horrible person then so be it.

Well I do have to admit that I've cheered silently for a girl that fell at a meet. My DD wasn't even born at this point so it wasn't jealousy. This girl and her mother were awful people who made everyone else in the gym suffer. She was the star of the gym and the head coach let her and her parents act however they wanted because it was a new gym and they needed her. She was truly awful to the other girls and even the other coaches and her mother was as wicked as they come. I had no child at the gym, just a supporter. She dominated until Level 10. Then I'd like to think karma caught up with her and her mother. So yes when she started struggling and getting beat by other girl's at the gym I cheered silently. We all did. Even the other coaches were happy. Shortly after that the gym got a new owner and they kicked her and her mother out.

This mother was the kind of mother who would cheer for her DD's teammates falling. She was so bad that she would even get jealous of girls that were like level 6 while her DD was level 10 if she thought they were taking attention away from her. So I'm sorry to admit that it felt so good to see this girl fail. If that makes me a horrible person then so be it.

You are not a horrible person ellabella. I think we all want justice against the mean and nasty people in the world. These people that you described are usually so miserable themselves that they have to make other people miserable in order to make themselves feel better or worth something. These people have serious insecurity issues and their behavior is always self-defeating.

Although I have had thoughts like yours when the mean and nasty kids or people do harm to me or my daughter, I try to be the better person and not stoop to their level with the negativity and mean thoughts. Karma ALWAYS catches up to people. ALWAYS. I am even seeing karma beginning to take care of certain people at my dd's gym as we speak. It's funny how life works and sometimes all you need to do is just mind your own business, work hard and try to be the role model that you would like yourself and dd to be and everything falls into place. Patience is sometimes all you need to have a situation rectified.

Last edited:
I am newly registered here but have been reading over a year - off and on. I had to post when I read this thread. This just happened to my DD at one of her meets recently. It is a complicated matter but it was actually a parent from a different gym who cheered when my DD fell on the balance beam. I didn't actually see her because of where she was sitting (up and behind me) but I was told this by my DD's coaches. THEY had seen this parent cheering. And also "mentally" pushing my DD off the beam prior to her fall (coaches' words) This a parent of a gymnast that used to be at our gym but was asked to leave last year because of her unsportsman- like and pushy behavior. I admit to secretly (in my head) not minding if her DD fell in her routine but after she was finished with her beam routine, I turned to my husband and told him I was impressed with her routine. I give credit where credit is deserved. And I would never, never, never cheer when ANY gymnast fell.

I am newly registered here but have been reading over a year - off and on. I had to post when I read this thread. This just happened to my DD at one of her meets recently. It is a complicated matter but it was actually a parent from a different gym who cheered when my DD fell on the balance beam. I didn't actually see her because of where she was sitting (up and behind me) but I was told this by my DD's coaches. THEY had seen this parent cheering. And also "mentally" pushing my DD off the beam prior to her fall (coaches' words) This a parent of a gymnast that used to be at our gym but was asked to leave last year because of her unsportsman- like and pushy behavior. I admit to secretly (in my head) not minding if her DD fell in her routine but after she was finished with her beam routine, I turned to my husband and told him I was impressed with her routine. I give credit where credit is deserved. And I would never, never, never cheer when ANY gymnast fell.

Welcome to the Chalkbucket, sorry that this issue is what brought you out of lurkdom, but we are happy to have you join in. Glad that you are able to rise above this "bullying" episode, I am sure that your attitude is a great thing for your DD.

:confused:I tried to take matters into my own hands by discussing the situation with the parent(s) involved and he/she states that it wasn't done "intentionally". She was actually cheering for another gymnasts accomplishments. (though no one else was competing at that point in time) There really is nothing more I can do nor anyone else wants to do. Thanks for letting me vent my frustration on the forum. Unfortunately, like I said before, if this behavior goes unchecked and is acceptable to the gym, it sends a message to the other parents that behaviors like this are tolerated.

:confused:I tried to take matters into my own hands by discussing the situation with the parent(s) involved and he/she states that it wasn't done "intentionally". She was actually cheering for another gymnasts accomplishments. (though no one else was competing at that point in time) There really is nothing more I can do nor anyone else wants to do. Thanks for letting me vent my frustration on the forum. Unfortunately, like I said before, if this behavior goes unchecked and is acceptable to the gym, it sends a message to the other parents that behaviors like this are tolerated.

That's such a shame. I am glad to hear that you were brave enough to talk to the parents. Unfortunatley, people like that are NEVER going to admit that they did anything wrong or fess up if they did know that what they did was wrong. I agree that this type of behavior and toleration for it just sends a bad message in the gym and almost makes this behavior "accepted".

I guess the best advice is to learn to ignore this behavior. Also, try to be the best positive example you can be in the gym and hopefully your good vibes and energy will spread and wipe out all the negativity.

I am so sorry that talking to them didn't help. I understand how frustrating it can be. I went through a similar situation where I spoke to a mom about her child's behavior and of course she was very defensive in that "No, not my child--she's not like that at all. I'll be sure to mention something to her about this..." But, you often wonder if the parent really says anything to the child about it. I feel your pain and frustration!! Hang in there!!!

Whoa and we thought the gymnasts were the competitive ones! I feel so bad for that poor girl! As a gymnast I have always thought not to hope that my competitors do bad and fall but that I just do a little bit better. I have to say that I was once one of those girls who got cheered for falling. I go to a gym that is large and very succesful (no brag intended but we do very well at meets). I was the last one up on beam and all the other rotations were finished, I fell very badly on an aerial and I ended up hitting my head and there was a group of parents that got very excited and I wondered if they realized I could hear them. One of our coaches actually went over and talked to them about it because at the time I was only 11.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a parent has to watch another gymnast fall and get hurt, for them (the parent) to feel good, that is one sorry individual. Too many parents try to live vicariously through their children. I totally understand wanting YOUR child to do THEIR best, but to wish misfortune on another or celebrate it when it happens is sad IMO.

Most of my current gymmies have great parents, but it's no surprise that the kids with the negative attitudes have parents that act the same way; make excuses for bad behavior etc.

we ALL clap for ALL of our teammates... even when they fall (actually more so for them when they fal)!! We want them to know we're proud of them for whatever they do.... One girl is awesome in practice on beam, but she gets to meets and falls off 2 or 3 times EVERY TIME!!! We all clap and cheer for her, just to let her know we've "got her back!"

Then I continued reading every one's response and was a bit taken aback at the responses. So... I'm just wondering if the intent of this parent is really what you think it is? Of course, I wasn't there and couldn't read any body language that went with it... but was just wondering. . . .

I thought the same when I saw the post. I guess I want to believe people are good. The idea that an adult, especially a mom would cheer at a childs misfortune is very sad. My heart breaks when I see anyone fall in competition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back