Parents Parental Incentives

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't see anything wrong with taking a little one to get ice cream after her first BHS. What I think is wrong is the parents telling the little girl that she can't have an ice cream UNTIL she performs the trick. That's just wrong. Why do the parents not see the problem with that? Why do they think it's ok? Everyday I hear the same stinkin parents saying "Oh well, you're not getting that ice cream today either." WTH??? Where's the common sense?? Don't they think their little one would do the stinkin kip if she could? Do they think she's holdin out for a car? It's just so irritating!!!! I find it sad and wrong, and it truly makes me feel bad for that poor baby.

I don't really do the incentive thing. I do like the suggestion of a *celebratory* ice cream after making a skill though. YUM! ;) My DD is only a newbie L4 so she's learned alot lately and the only thing we do, that she requests, is mail. She likes me to write "congrats on getting your______" and leaving it for her in the morning when she wakes up. Hey, it makes her happy & costs nothing but a sheet of computer paper, LOLOLOL! Sometimes she wants a "special" snack from the machine. They do this bell ringing thing at the gym when skills are learned. They stop the whole gym, make an announcement and then you do it in front of everyone solo and they gong a bell....it seems to be enough for them too.

My dd asked if, she got first in the all-around this year at any meets, would we take her to her favorite restaurant (pricey). I said, "Of course."

Incentives

Great question! Personally, I do not support the incentives to get the dd to accomplish a skill, especially at a competition. It would worry me that my dd was concentrating more on the new leo (especially when they are young) instead of focusing completely on executing the skill. Execution comes from good preparation, training and proper motivation, which is what I pay the coaches for. That being said, I see nothing wrong with rewarding a child after the fact for a new achievement. I think incentivising (other than the usual parental encouragment and support) beforehand places too much emphasis on the reward and an immediate result and less on the ultimate accomplishment. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back