Parents Parental "rewards" for basic gymnastics skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SophiaPD

Proud Parent
My two girls, ages barely 7 and 11.5, have started Xcel Bronze and have been sloppy about staying on the beam. They are capable of doing staying on the beam during their fairly simple routine if they concentrate, but neither of them is solidly paying attention to balance.

I am considering having them work together toward a reward -- five practices each falling off the beam no more than once and you can get a toy/fro-yo/app or something similar. If it were a skill where I thought they had physical limitations and were trying, I wouldn't do it -- but for something like staying focused enough to not fall of the beam as much -- what do you think of offering an external reward?

I think it shows you are too invested in their sport, personally. The only rewards in gymnastics should be either internal, or the naturally occurring medals that they earn. Past that, my kids reward is for hard work, and the reward is that I continue to pay their tuition. We get froyo after every meet, but that’s to celebrate the excitement of a meet and has no tie to performance at all.

There are some skills that I think deserve a reward, normally one per level ( top of the rope, back handsprings, kip, fly away, back handsprings on beam.) It can be as simple as ice cream, as big as a new leo, I even had the youngest of four control the remote one evening. Whenever they are getting frustrated, we talk about what they are going to do when they make it. Staying on the beam is never on my list. It puts way too much pressure on them. You will pretty much guarantee that they will fall more. If the coach wants your help, they will ask you for it. That is how I figured out that the remote would be a great reward.

So, they are not misbehaving or goofing off or acting silly, it is just about not having focus to stay on the beam consistently?

How is the coach handling this? Do they seem concerned?

Focus is one of the skills a gymnast has to develop. Like any other skill it comes more easily to some than others. But overall, It is normal for young kids to lack complete focus, and it is normal for anyone to have a hard time focusing intensely on one task for a long period of time. So focus can take time and practice to develop.

Have you talked to your daughters (separately) about why they are having trouble staying on beam at practice? That is where I, personally, would start. It may not even be a lack of focus, necessarily.

I agree with the others that it’s a bad idea. I also caution you on not projecting your judgement of difficulty level on them. If they are each competing at their ‘just right level’ then it’s not really fair to say that their Xcel Bronze routine is ‘fairly simple’. Beam is hard and kids aren’t going to hit it every time. Some kids when they become pre-teens realize how scary beam is and they spend the rest of their time in the sport negotiating their fear with their desire to advance further (ask me how I know this!). Some 7 year olds are still wobbly which they eventually grow out of. Although your two DDs are capable, they may be not sticking routines for different reasons. I would let their coaches deal with it. And if on the off chance that they both are truly unfocused and lazy in practice — this has a way of correcting itself with a shorter length of time in the sport.

Thanks for the advice. I'll back off. I don't think they are being lazy or silly, just thought if they focused more during beam practice it would be easier for them (never planned to do anything different following meets based on performance). I think it's part of the transition from recreational to team -- the expectation on team seems to be that the girls will be putting in their best effort, and rec was more laid-back. They have only been to three team practices so far -- I guess the focus comes with time, or doesn't.

Just wanted to add that those "easy" beam skills sometimes look deceptively easy. My daughter recently got a beam. I got on to play around with her. She was hysterical watching me try some of those "easy" moves. Also, the transition from team to rec is a big one. Give it time, they will adjust or decide they just like to do gymnastics for fun. Either way- it is great!

My two girls, ages barely 7 and 11.5, have started Xcel Bronze and have been sloppy about staying on the beam. They are capable of doing staying on the beam during their fairly simple routine if they concentrate, but neither of them is solidly paying attention to balance.

I am considering having them work together toward a reward -- five practices each falling off the beam no more than once and you can get a toy/fro-yo/app or something similar. If it were a skill where I thought they had physical limitations and were trying, I wouldn't do it -- but for something like staying focused enough to not fall of the beam as much -- what do you think of offering an external reward?
I’m against it. They shouldn’t be rewarded. I don’t think it sends a good message. If done too often, the reward can take presendence over the work required. Just my opinion.

Leave it to the coach.
Here's the problem, lets say that you set this up with your daughters, and then they go to practice and the coach is working with the team that day on getting their leaps bigger or their handstands up higher or maintaining releve position throughout the whole routine. If your daughter's goal is to earn the reward from you, then they are not going to be motivated to take the risks necessary to try to improve their skills. If your daughters are brand new to team, they are probably not at the point yet were the focus is on not falling- that is a focus when they are in competition mode- as in the week of competition.
How do you know that it is lack of focus causing them to fall? If they are new to team, it may be that there are so many things they are trying to focus on that it is a bit overwhelming as they adjust. IF they are outright acting silly, chatting away while doing skills, goofing off, then by all means talk to your girls, but everything else, leave it to the coach.

-- what do you think of offering an external reward?

Bit of a tangent here:
I initially misread the title of this thread as, “Parent Rewards for Gymnastics Skills.”

I am all for giving parents something if they are able to watch their daughter learn certain release moves on bars. I think several of us here have lived to tell about it, and certainly have earned those rewards for parents.

But I digress…

Yesterday my daughter asked, during a water break at practice, if I would buy her a donut if she improved her kips. (Still muscled up.) Sure?
She tends to do things like this when she is very motivated about a skill. She wants to add external motivation to her internal motivation. :D

Bit of a tangent here:
I initially misread the title of this thread as, “Parent Rewards for Gymnastics Skills.”

I am all for giving parents something if they are able to watch their daughter learn certain release moves on bars. I think several of us here have lived to tell about it, and certainly have earned those rewards for parents.

But I digress…

HAHAHA.

When my son was younger, I would give him a special treat when he got a skill he was struggling with for a while, like a muscle up on rings or a giant. Usually an ice cream after practice or Chipotle, more to acknowledge his hard work.

Now, I don’t do that. When he struggles with a skill or says it’s scary, I just say “think of how cool it will be when you can do it”.

The natural consequences of sloppy practice is sloppy competitions. When they fall in meets, they will either care or they won't. That's when you learn whether or not this is the right sport.
We had a girl who didn't have a "no fall" beam routine in competition until Old L6 (after falling every meet in OL4 and OL5 and the first 4 meets of OL6). She is a L8, but out with an elbow injury AGAIN (Cheer) ... BHS are now out for good on floor and beam :'(
Oh... and we had an Old L5 that was 3rd place on Beam at Y Nationals WITH a FALL (she was also 1st AA that day).

To OP, I agree with everything said above except the part about learning whether or not this is the right sport. My YG has had very few no fall beam routines throughout her career.

Thanks, all! This is really helpful. Is there a way to delete posts? I've received lots of generous advice and taken it. I don't think there is going to be a groundswell of a dozen posts arguing the alternative.

Thanks, all! This is really helpful. Is there a way to delete posts? I've received lots of generous advice and taken it. I don't think there is going to be a groundswell of a dozen posts arguing the alternative.

Nah. always good to leave it up :) People will stop commenting naturally, hopefully :)

Reactions: sce

You have to make a request for a post to be deleted but I don't think this one should be deleted. There is good advice here and I'm sure many other parents will find this thread helpful. :)

Yes, don't worry about deleting! I think people here just like to hash things out because we are all figuring this gymnastics stuff out as we go. You had a legitimate question and (it appears) have received enough feedback at this point so you are free to ignore any further responses, it is fine!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back