Parents Cleaning the Gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

No, it is not standard practice. Often gyms will have parents do the cleaning in exchange for some fee relief if they struggle to pay their fee's. Sometimes parents may be asked to help move big equipment every now and again. But not usually everyday.

At our club, every year we have a big summer clean up where all our equipment gets moved out of the gym and a lot of parents offer to come and help to clean - Its actually quite a good way for them to get to know eachother and the coaches.
However, during the rest of the year, no, the parents are never asked to clean. We have a cleaner who comes in twice a week and we spot clean after every session.

We actually do get our gymnasts to keep the changing room tidy and we have been known to make them get the vacuum out if they have made a particularly big mess - but normally only if it has happened due to them being silly! This happens very rarely.

Parents are never asked to clean the gym! A couple of parents who were having trouble financially asked if they can clean the gym in return for credits. They come a few times a week. Twice a year we also have a huge cleaning that is done by staff only.

No chance! Our tuition costs are supposed to cover the costs of doing business. At $4200 a year, they better not ask either.

Before and after competitions is another story. Some team parents are asked to volunteer to reset the gym. No problem - I was glad to help when I could. In fact, its usually the same group of 8 each time. Now If they made this a "requirement", I would definately have a problem with that.

well...
i was actually referring to the bathrooms at our gym. the gym equipment is cleaned and sterilized by the coaches at the end of each day.
however....it has been suggested that we (management) ask some of the parents to clean the bathrooms in the lobby each time they come in for NOTHING in exchange!!!
oh my. i will NOT ask a parent to do this bc i feel that they are paying for their child to attend the gym and they do not need to clean the bathrooms!! absolutely ridiculous. just wanting some other outlooks from other gyms and parents regarding this matter.
thanks!!

well...
r....it has been suggested that we (management) ask some of the parents to clean the bathrooms in the lobby each time they come in for NOTHING in exchange!!!
thanks!!

Wow! We have a parent who does this, but in exchange for a break on tuition. I would NOT be happy if management expected all the parents to clean their toilets for free.

Our old gym actually had the nerve (after we left, so I did not witness this) to send out letters to parents TELLING them that they were expected to clean the lobby and bathrooms AND that they should bring their own cleaning supplies to do this. I thought that was the most tacky thing that I had heard of. To ask parents to dust, mop, sweep, and clean toilets for free was bad enough...but to tell them that they not only should clean for free, but that they should buy/bring toilet cleaner, pledge, window cleaner and rags was WAY too much. I wondered how that went over? Most of the parents that I knew left after that proclaimation, so I guess that would be the answer, lol.

Well... thats odd... our parents are asked to help clean and vaccum out the pit and the floor, once a year, on a weekend over the summer. they are not obligated to, nor do they bring anything. just a about 10 parents that have free time that day will join in for however long they can help. that is all.

Is it possible that you might have misunderstood their request? Is it possible that meant to keep the bath room clean (respect for other users). Anyway if the gym is starting to nickle and dime the parents to specifically clean the bath room then it is time to shop around for another gym. Otherwise before you know it you have to bring your own toilet paper. This is just my opinion.

I would be appalled if I was ever asked to clean the gym's bathrooms. I figure that at $380 a month someone in the employ of the gym can do the cleaning. The gymnasts do clean up after themselves in the locker room but there aren't any parent cleaners.

Well... thats odd... our parents are asked to help clean and vaccum out the pit and the floor, once a year, on a weekend over the summer. they are not obligated to, nor do they bring anything. just a about 10 parents that have free time that day will join in for however long they can help. that is all.

A once a year "spring clean" of the pits and floor, etc. is not what I was referring to in my post. I wouldn't mind volunteering for that kind of stuff. It was the weekly, unpaid or compensated, cleaning toilets and windows and bringing your own supplies that rubbed the raw nerve for me, lol.

Its a NO on bathroom cleaning at our gym and I agree with other parents that for the amount of money I'm paying/month, they can have someone keep the bathrooms clean!
We are asked to help clean the pits 1x/year and of course clean the mats, vacuum the floor etc. before a meet. The gym takes care of making sure all the common areas are clean before and during the meet.

Is it possible that you might have misunderstood their request? Is it possible that meant to keep the bath room clean (respect for other users). Anyway if the gym is starting to nickle and dime the parents to specifically clean the bath room then it is time to shop around for another gym. Otherwise before you know it you have to bring your own toilet paper. This is just my opinion.
nope. no misunderstanding. he meant for the parents to clean the toilets.

As a coach I would never want to be told to clean the toilets....I'm not a cleaning service, I was hired to coach gymnastics. Asking a parent/customer to clean the toilets is even worse! Tacky, Tacky, Tacky. Would any other business ask their CUSTOMERS to clean their toilets? I don't think so.

I think you should show him this thread! lol

As a coach I would never want to be told to clean the toilets....I'm not a cleaning service, I was hired to coach gymnastics. Asking a parent/customer to clean the toilets is even worse! Tacky, Tacky, Tacky. Would any other business ask their CUSTOMERS to clean their toilets? I don't think so.

I think you should show him this thread! lol

Lol, that would be something...if the next time you went in to deposit money at the bank, they handed you a toilet brush in exchange

Unbelievable! How unprofessional to ask parents to sacrifice more. My jaw was hanging open while reading this thread.
I do agree that you may want to show these responses to the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back