WAG Parents & Coaches: Mid-Season Level Move Up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Better to spend a year or 2 at a higher level, than at L3, in my mind (as a parent). IF the kid wants to and is fine with middle of the road scores, and if socially it works for her team. L4 leads to L5 much better than trying to score out of L4 next year (as one person suggested). DD moved Old 5 to 6 mid-season, it went great, at age 9. The fearless factor disappeared for her at age 10 1/2, so it was nice she was an optional at least by then....

Whatever would be the most fun and satisfying for the kid, as long as she's uptraining!

Food for thought. Sounds like you are working the next level anyways, so holding her where she is and uptraining
could be a good option as well. SImply put, its Soooo much easier to uptrain when they are successful where they are (and it's not like she is blowing out 38's) . So next year she could be a 4 and you could spend all your time on 7. Skip 5.... Look at the big picture instead of short term. If you don't try it won't happen.

Thanks so much for all the feedback, everyone! I thought I'd address that we only compete one season and only go to one state meet. Our season runs from late October-late March. So she wouldn't be able to go to BOTH level 3 and level 4 state meets.

After a weekend to think about all the factors, I sent an email to her mom telling her how great her daughter is doing and inviting her to join the level 4 team and compete as a level 4 for the remainder of the season. There is a 2.5 hour increase from level 3 to 4, but only a payment increase of $10 per month. I'll let you know what she decides when I receive an email back!

Move up for the challenge, and what a great coach for really putting thought into this! My daughter has all of the level 3 skills and some 4 skills and is competing level 2. She flat out said she doesn't care about her scores and wants to "keep learning." We have gotten a bunch of excuses. I'm not happy about wasting time and lots of money on level 2 for no good reason at all other than podium placement.
I can feel your pain! Our gym operates very similarly to this :( My DD is a 7-year-old L3 who consistantly receives 36.5 to 37.5 -- however she cant even THINK of moving to L4 next season "because of her age." Do they do this to keep you in compulsory longer = more tuition? = plus podium places??? I am more impressed by the coach who created this post who is considering what is BEST FOR THE CHILD!

Thanks so much for all the feedback, everyone! I thought I'd address that we only compete one season and only go to one state meet. Our season runs from late October-late March. So she wouldn't be able to go to BOTH level 3 and level 4 state meets.

After a weekend to think about all the factors, I sent an email to her mom telling her how great her daughter is doing and inviting her to join the level 4 team and compete as a level 4 for the remainder of the season. There is a 2.5 hour increase from level 3 to 4, but only a payment increase of $10 per month. I'll let you know what she decides when I receive an email back!
way to go coach Meg! It is very nice to hear about a coach who takes her athletes best interest to heart! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back