Parents disciplining during class mainly in Pre-K and kinder classes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

First, I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this question, but I'd like to get parents and coaches opinions.

I have a set of twins in one of my Pre-K classes who sometimes argue/ antagonize etc. each other. To me, this is just normal behavior for siblings and I am not overly concerned with it because I know how to handle the kids in the situation. Well what's the problem then, right? The mother is constantly coming into the gym to call them out of class, disciplining them and I feel making the situation much more distracting and worse than it needs to be. I have nicely told her I am more than capable of handling it and it is nothing out of the ordinary. I have also asked if there is a certain way she prefer I handle it, to which she responded "no, I am fine with the way you have been dealing with it." Yet she still is always standing in the doorway and making comments.

What is the next step if she does not stop? I don't want the other kids getting distracted by her constant presence and interjections. I also fear that the other parents will be looking down on me as not being able to control the class, which is not the issue at all.

WHAT? The mom needs to be told to stay out of class unless she specifically is aproached by you, the coach for help. Oh, I feel for you. We have 2 moms that do this too and it drives me batty and I am just the one watching.

counseling for the parent my friend. then, come back and see us when you have a certification from the teacher...

I would bypass potential drama by saying the gym is re-emphasizing the no parents on the floor rule and asking the coaches to enforce it. Let her know you appreciate her availability and that if you need her you'll signal her to the door.

If you are the more direct type, just be honest with her in saying that the solution is more distracting than the problem. Not just for her children, but for you and their classmates. Ask her to try it your way and only come to get the kids if she's waved over.

If either of the above don't work I'd involve a superior to go over the finer points of not distracting a class...especially when you're not the only one paying for it ><

There have been a few situations when I have had parents come onto the floor to get their child(ren), but not like the scenario you described.
I have 2 brothers in my pre-school class and a few weeks ago they were wrestling and bumped heads. They were crying, screaming that they wanted to go home, and after many attempts at consoling them, I was at a loss. I couldn't march them upstairs with all the other pre-schoolers in tow, so their mom came down to get them. But that was in a case of them being extremely upset and disruptive.
I've also had parents step in if their child is totally uncontrollable (running around the gym, not listening to teachers at all, etc.), but it is pretty rare. If it is just typical "little kid stuff", as you are describing, they typically just let me do what I need to do.
Is the seating area for parents separate from the rest of the gym? Like a wall or some kind of barrier between the two? Then maybe you could ask the owner, person above you, whatever to print a sign asking parents to stay off the floor unless asked. Or just a sign at the entry of the gym to remind all parents. But the sound of it, I'm not sure she would think such a notice applied to her as well :rolleyes:.
So if that doesn't work, I would just echo Linsul's solutions. Or, is there an office person or gym owner who could maybe keep an eye out for this? Just let them know who and when and maybe they can mention to them that parents are not allowed on the floor if they see them heading in that direction.
Working with the parents can be one of the most frustrating parts of coaching, good luck!

Our gym is in an enclosed area with a viewing window. We have a bright yellow sign next to the door that lets parents know that no one is allowed in the gym during class unless they are a student. However, do you think the parents pay attention to that?? Umm...of course not!

I feel bad for you having to put up with that parent of your pre-schoolers. It is very frustrating having something like that happen every week. I have a couple of parents who don't mind barging in during some of my tumbling classes to tell their kid what they should be doing...or asking them why they don't have the skill we've been working on in class...basically, they are pretty much telling me how to coach...:mad: I've actually had a parent march into the gym during a tumbling class to ask me why I'm not allowing her child to do a certain skill or do it a certain way...she said they did it that way @ (gym x). I politely told her that she could take her child back to (gym x) if she didn't like the way I did things.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back