Coaches Parents Upset About Saturday Practices

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I come from a smaller gym in Southern California that has recently grown this past year. We doubled the amount of girls we now have on team competing compulsory which is now requiring 3 coaches to attend competitions on the weekends (20 Level 2's, 25 level 3's, 15 level 4's, 4 Level 5's). This is our first year back after 2 years of having optional gymnasts in our gym. We our now having the problem with our optional parents (level 7) being concerned their optional daughters are being deprived of their Saturday workouts since the regular coaches are now gone at competition. They are still being coached by one of the level 2/3 team coaches who herself was a level 9 gymnast. Our optional have all their skills and routines are choreographed. Any ideas how to handle these parents? Has anyone else had this problem?

Well in our gym the workouts would just be cancelled. So I think that the fact that they have a workout is great.

I assume they are left assignments?

We also have a large comp team, but someone stays back to give the optionals training.
The only days we cancel optional practice are sectionals, (but they still come in for strength and flex). and state, which we encourage them to attend.
We determine prior the meet season that everyone will take turns running workouts if our meets fall on saturday.

In small gyms, with few coaches, sometimes you have to manage with what you have,. We had three team coaches, so often they simply had no choice but to be at a meet.

As long as they are safe, have assignments and have a coach I am not sure what else you can do.

What do the parents want?

Can the most senior coach stay to work with the level sevens? are the other coaches not competent enough be in charge at the competition? I imagine the level sevens are preparing for competition and still need the best coaching possible.

We also have a large comp team, but someone stays back to give the optionals training.
The only days we cancel optional practice are sectionals, (but they still come in for strength and flex). and state, which we encourage them to attend.
We determine prior the meet season that everyone will take turns running workouts if our meets fall on saturday.
The problem our gym is having is we are put into three squads between flight A and flight B alot of the time at meets and it's not possible to coach 3 seperate events with only two coaches which is why we require all three of the main coaches to attend competition.

In small gyms, with few coaches, sometimes you have to manage with what you have,. We had three team coaches, so often they simply had no choice but to be at a meet.

As long as they are safe, have assignments and have a coach I am not sure what else you can do.

What do the parents want?

The parents would like one of the coaches to stay behind which creates a problem at the competition if we are split into three squads because of how many girls we have on our level 3 team this year. But it just is not possible. The coach who will be working with them is not incompetent by any means. She herself was a level 9 and she is great with corrections just not as strict as the main coaches. The girls are still being left with someone who knows what she is doing it's just not a regular optional coach.

I just went through a scenario somewhat like this at my gym when I changed the schedule. Try to make it into a positive for the parents. It sounds like they are used to being the only ones in the gym and getting all the attention from coaches. Let them know that on the Saturdays their usual coaches are away, they will be working on invaluable conditioning, flexibility and basics that MUST be done. Tell them how it will make them better gymnasts and how happy you are that the team is growing and how these girls are role models for the new kids. In my situation, communication was key. Parents don't want to feel like they're getting slighted, so let them know that what you are doing is good for their kids!

I just went through a scenario somewhat like this at my gym when I changed the schedule. Try to make it into a positive for the parents. It sounds like they are used to being the only ones in the gym and getting all the attention from coaches. Let them know that on the Saturdays their usual coaches are away, they will be working on invaluable conditioning, flexibility and basics that MUST be done. Tell them how it will make them better gymnasts and how happy you are that the team is growing and how these girls are role models for the new kids. In my situation, communication was key. Parents don't want to feel like they're getting slighted, so let them know that what you are doing is good for their kids!

Thank You this was very helpful. I will definitely try this approach :)

The problem our gym is having is we are put into three squads between flight A and flight B alot of the time at meets and it's not possible to coach 3 seperate events with only two coaches which is why we require all three of the main coaches to attend competition.
==
Send the level 2/3 coach to the meet and have a more qualified coach stay behind ...

Reactions: JBS
==
Send the level 2/3 coach to the meet and have a more qualified coach stay behind ...
The level 2/3 coach is not certified and the parents club have offered to pay for her certification but she has not completed it and I don't think she has any intention on completing it. There is not going to be any changes as to who goes to competitions and who stays back I am more looking for advice on how to handle the parents and to ask around if anyone else has faced this problem and how they were able to resolve it. Thanks :)

The level 2/3 coach is not certified and the parents club have offered to pay for her certification but she has not completed it and I don't think she has any intention on completing it. There is not going to be any changes as to who goes to competitions and who stays back I am more looking for advice on how to handle the parents and to ask around if anyone else has faced this problem and how they were able to resolve it. Thanks :)
==
Got it, then remind the parents how important it was for them to have the coaches at the meets, and that during the optional season it will be the compulsories who will be missing the same coaches.
Lastly, See you at the meets!

I come from a smaller gym in Southern California that has recently grown this past year. We doubled the amount of girls we now have on team competing compulsory which is now requiring 3 coaches to attend competitions on the weekends (20 Level 2's, 25 level 3's, 15 level 4's, 4 Level 5's). This is our first year back after 2 years of having optional gymnasts in our gym. We our now having the problem with our optional parents (level 7) being concerned their optional daughters are being deprived of their Saturday workouts since the regular coaches are now gone at competition. They are still being coached by one of the level 2/3 team coaches who herself was a level 9 gymnast. Our optional have all their skills and routines are choreographed. Any ideas how to handle these parents? Has anyone else had this problem?

HUGE PROBLEM...you need to hire more coaches. Don't leave optional level gymnasts with your L2/3 coach unless she is actually an optional level coach.

Yes they are left assignments for each event as well as conditioning assignments

this is precisely how it is done. tell them to go to coaching school so that we have more coaches in our industry.

==
Got it, then remind the parents how important it was for them to have the coaches at the meets, and that during the optional season it will be the compulsories who will be missing the same coaches.
Lastly, See you at the meets!

this too. :)

One thing to remember is that every club goes through this issue every season. How you handle it helps determine how many of your gymnasts switch clubs at the end of season.

We have 3 optional level coaches that work Saturdays. During meet season...at least one of them is always there. Lower level coaches are pulled in to take stations...but the optional level coach runs the entire workout. If there is ever an instance when all of our optional level coaches are gone when the optionals have practice...then optional practice is completely cancelled...or they have a "strength & flex only" short workout.

This is a known part of our optional system. It will never change.

Safety...safety...safety...

Why not require your level 2/3 coach to get certified? Interesting that she just basically is like, thanks for the great opportunity to advance myself, but I don't feel like it....

The level 2/3 coach is not certified and the parents club have offered to pay for her certification but she has not completed it and I don't think she has any intention on completing it.

Why not require your level 2/3 coach to get certified? Interesting that she just basically is like, thanks for the great opportunity to advance myself, but I don't feel like it....

Think about what the parents are thinking. They offered to certify the coach...but she is not going through with it. I think you're going to have problems unless she at least gets certified.

What certification are we talking about? If in the US...get her to the W300 & W400.

I don't mean to sound so negative...but both of the clubs next to us provide optional coaches at all optional workouts. If our club didn't...the parents would just take their kids to the better environment.

Ultimately...our club dealt with this issue by doing what was necessary. We raised tuition to give the optionals what they need...optional level coaches all the time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back