WAG Pausing to fix grips after each kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastics mom

Proud Parent
My daughter will pause and adjust her grips every time after kip on both low bar and high bar. Every time! She said they don't feel right but of course she can't do this in a meet. The coach hasn't provided any help. Ideas?

Are they Velcro? Exactly why our coach doesn’t allow velcro.

Do they fit properly?

Have her do bars without grips. We have a girl who only used tape grips. Until this year, she is competing L9 this year. But tape grips up to and including L8.

Have the coach check if they fit. You can also check if the velcro (assuming it's velcro) actually grips.

Is it her first pair of grips ? If not, did she do it with her previous grips ? If the answer is yes and there is nothing wrong with the grips themselves, then it's probably a mental thing that she will have to overcome. If she is not used to grips it might feel strange.

However I feel like fixing the issue is the coach's job, not yours. If you daughter is young and/or shy, you might want to ask the coach about checking the grips.

My daughter used to do this and it drove me batty! Turns out because her hands were so small, even the 00 size was too big for her and kept sliding off of her fingers and the Velcro would loosen. She switched to buckle grips, drybands which fold over top of the grip and most importantly (per her - I know nothing about grips) started using rubber bands on the back side of the grips to hold the finger portion in place. I can't fully explain how to do that but I know that it really helped her out.

I asked my daughter last night. She said that while she was using Velcro grips, in addition to the above, her coach also taught her how to tape them around the Velcro so it wouldn't loosen.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back