Peeling off bars

morgancw

Gymnast
Aug 27, 2020
Country
USA
I just started Xcel Gold and I’ve been using my ginnasta double buckles since... so about 2-3 months. I continuously peel off the bar when going back in my tap swing. It’s super scary and it happens everytime. My coach says it’s because I don’t regrip but I know I do. Also, my grips tend to bend at the fingers when doing a kip and I always have to fix them while on the bar and I always have to slide then back down on my wrist no matter how tight they are. My pointer and my pinky both don’t grip the bar either as the grip is in the way. Should I get skinnier grips and a smaller size? I’m terrified of tap swings now. It happens without grips as well.

Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

Carly

Proud Parent
Jan 3, 2016
Country
USA
Show the coaches your grips and get help from them with sizing.

Sk8ermaiden

Proud Parent
May 6, 2013
Country
USA
Yes, if it truly is your grips, then they sound like they're not sized correctly.

My daughter uses the ginnasta narrows and likes them very much.

But if her coach said she was peeling because she wasn't regripping, I'd assume that was what was happening. Any way you can get video of your tap swings so you can see your regrip/lack of for yourself?

Reactions: GAgymmom

Splat

Coach
Coach
Gymnast
Feb 17, 2016
Country
USA
If it happens with and without grips then the problem most likely isn't your grips.

Sk8ermaiden

Proud Parent
May 6, 2013
Country
USA
Oh, I missed that part! Yep, it's definitely your technique then. If you are 100% certain you're regripping, then something else is wrong. A video could be really helpful.

morgancw

Gymnast
Aug 27, 2020
Country
USA
Hi, thank you all for the help. We figured out my hands are too small for the regular sized grips so we purchased the more narrow width grip from Gibson... problem fixed. Thank you guys!

Reactions: txgymfan
Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!