Coaches Periodized Conditioning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Art

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Hi all,

I have a question regarding the structure of conditioning programmes.
I coach MAG up to level 7 currently, and been playing withe different structures for our conditioning programme over the last few years.

What I do
What I have mostly done is work with a linear periodized programme for max power.
I start with low intensity and high reps for a microcycle. (1 week)
The following microcycle the intensity increases a bit, but reps drop lower.
Third microcycle follows the same pattern, even higher intensity, and lower reps.
Fourth microcycle unloads and drops back with lower intensity and higher reps, most often around the same as the second week.

That is then my mesocycle which repeats with all of it at slightly higher intensity and lower reps. I start with reps of 30 (endurance), and around the comp season I'm doing power work with reps around 4.
According to research this sounds like the way to go. (https://usagym.org/pages/home/publications/technique/1996/8/strength.pdf) Thats 1 example.

What I've seen
During this time I've done research in different areas. Coach Sommers from gymnasticsbodies.com seems to have a different approach. Yet he also seems to be known as one of the best for conditioning. From what I can see, he works in revers, starting with low reps, low intensity. He keeps intensity the same while increasing the reps. Up to 60 reps I think (endurance). Then once he has that for a full mesocycle, he finally increases the intensity and starts once again with low reps and builds up.

The Question

What is the best approach? Or at least a good approach?
From what I can see it looks like he approaches the conditioning with a huge amount of endurance before moving to power and strength training, where as the common approach is to start with a small bit of endurance, but loading into strength and power much faster.

So far my programme seems to be working with my boys, but I've only just finally got a gymnast to level 7, where he has years of experience. Not sure if I should change my approach or not. Considered trying both, but endurance and strength training simultaneously isn't known for working that well.

What are everyone elses thoughts or experience here?

Well Jenny, seems its currently just the two of us looking into this area.

I really hope some pothers post up their thoughts and experience. This knowledge can really help with gymnast preparation. I will be attending a couple of education courses this month so will discuss with some coaches there, and if I find anything I'll come put it up here for others to see.

Honestly, the coach sommers method you described is the most common throughout gymnastics. I can't really speak to whether it is optimal because I don't know enough, that is probably the problem most of us have. For the level of gymnastics the average person does, I suspect it is the most straightforward way to produce results with the least chance of error, and likely why it is so popular.

However, I think John Geddert's optional conditioning phases more closely resemble what you're looking for. Note that he doesn't use this program with lower level compulsory athletes (who presumably practice less and are younger) but instead uses the "coach sommers" method of just building up reps or adding intensity. You can read his plan here: http://thegymnasticscoach.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Gedderts-Phase-Conditioning-Book-Bonus.pdf

I think I finally found an answer! I really hope this helps other coaches as well.

So, I came across an article written by William Sands in 1999. It describes 3 training models. I'll try to summarise this for those who don't want to go reading the whole article, though I suggest you do anyway as it provides figures which can really help with the understanding of it.

Training model number 1
Classical Training model described by Matveyev.

How it works; Starts with very low intensity, and very high volume. As time progresses the volume decreases and intensity increases.
What its good for; Lower and middle level athletes. For elite athletes the large range in fitness levels leads to higher injury rates.

Training model number 2
Model described by Zatsiorsky.

How it works; Starts with slightly high intensity, and very high volume. As time progresses, te volume decreases slightly and the intensity raises to very high.
What its good for; High level and elite athletes who can still have resting time and peaks, not competing all year round.
Question for others....
I don't fully understand what Sands means when referring to athlete injuries at the end of the first paragraph on page 8. Does he mean that detraining with this sway of fitness is a problem for injuried athletes, making this training model undesireable to use with an injured athlete, or does he mean its good to use with injured athletes as it gives them time to recover at a reduced fitness level while not dropping too far?

Training model number 3
Not sure who proposed this model?

How it works; Intensity level is very high and only rises and falls very slightly, where as the actual volume starts slightly high and increases and decreases slightly.
What it is good for; Elite athletes who are extremely fit and can withstand a long and intense training load. Good for athletes who need to be competition ready most of the year.

Keep in mind that these models can be mixed.

The source of information is the Article written in the Technique magazine in September/October 1999 Volume 19 #9. Pages 6-8.
You can access the archived magazines via USA Gymnastics, or look at it on William Sands website at http://www.advancedstudyofgymnastics.com/training-theory-articles.html
There are plenty of good articles on his website, this is the 6th one down the page.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back