Parents petitioning out of compulsories?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SHELOVESGYM

Proud Parent
I have heard that this is possible but I'm wondering how difficult it is. Long story short we moved to an x cel program after DD did JO 3 b/c it worked better for our family and now DD is talking about going back to JO to do optionals. I think this is mostly b/c she has progressed so much since making the move -her new coaches are just better and she's picking up lvl 4,5 and optional skills (with better form than she had previously) left and right. She has not competed levels 4 or 5. I know scoring out is sometimes an option and if this is really what she wants to do we could look into that down the road -but I'm also wondering what the likelihood of her being about to petition out of either lvl 4 or lvl 5 or both is.

The petition will include a video of her skills on each event. DD did it this year. Her skill level was not perfect but she was accepted to level 7

Reactions: sce
The petition will include a video of her skills on each event. DD did it this year. Her skill level was not perfect but she was accepted to level 7

I was confused, so I looked back through your other posts because I had the impression that your DD is younger than my DD, which it sounds like she is. Did the coaches come back and tell you that your DD could go to L7 after an actual petition or did your DD do at least a meet at L4 and L5 and now is moving to L7 (allowed with no petition after L5). If prior to August 1 your DD got a 31 at L4 and L5 (higher scores August 1 on; but still doable) then she scored out. It is my understanding, unless they changed it this season, that a girl has to be 14 years old or in high school to do. A 10 year old can't petition out.

I thought you said she scored out of L4 and L5.

Petitioning is for those at least 14 or a freshman in high school. They can petition into L6 or L7.

Yeah, no. Petitions don't happen for 10 year olds.

Are you maybe confusing coaches submitting video trying to get your daughter in training camps or something?

Sorry everyone. Typo. DD scored out of 4 and 5. 35 ish in both. A friend Moving to usag with her turned 14 and used the video and petition.

Then friend then tried out for field Hockey as a feshman made the varsity squad and has made the tough decision to retire from gymnastics.

Tough summer for her and her friends.

20170708_120405.jpg

Photo from the score out meet. Please don't think I am a faker.

I think I will give this forum a break. I came to learn and participate but it seems that everyone is in competition, which is peculiar as it's our children doing the sport.

Not really judgemental. In this case, you said something contrary to what you had been saying.
That inconsistency raised a red flag with many of us. There have been people on this site who were not who / what they claimed to be.

Understood but do not agree. A simple question asking if a mistake was made would have been enough. Again Internet muscles and beer muscles are not attractive things.

Furthermore on petitioning. Three summers ago a video and petition was enough to get any gymnast into level 5, atleast in the state of Maryland. DD had another friend leave her usaigc gym three summers ago and video straight to level 5. This gymnast went to win states at level 6 in her age grouping last year.

Please know I have an obsessive desire to learn how things work and research and learn. I am fully aware there are Bulls@&£ters everywhere including this board.

A lot of the regulars on this site share a good bit of information about their children, so we can be a little cautious. As we all know, there are some gross people around and we don't like opening up our lives to them. I had read some of your posts; but not enough to really "know" you; but I definitely had the feeling that your DD was younger than mine. Mine isn't old enough to petition out, so I didn't think it made sense for your DD. Add to that, in a social group (where many of us are WAY more open) I was pretty sure that you had recently shared the exact score out requirements, so it seemed like you were aware of them; but "trolls" can be odd people. So, it raised a red flag for me personally after years on various message boards and being through drama of trolls.

As for the petitioning in to L5, I'm betting it was maybe before the updates and that was "old" L5. that was the same as "new" L4, so was the first required level I believe back then. Or it is possible that back then (the updates took effect fall of 2013) you could petition in to L5, I'm not sure.

One question of my incorrect comments is more then welcomed and even expected, piling on well not so nice.

In the transition year (the actual year it changes) there were interesting and vague rules about scoring out. I saw on one document that the coach could place them in 3,4, or 5 based on skill development with no score out requirements.

We had the head judge from our state come into our gym to do score outs as my dd was scoring out of new level 4 and 5 that year. We were told she did not need to score out of four and only competed her level 5 routines for her score out.

Now some coaches on her have said that wasn't actually the right thing to do. So I don't know if the rules were interpreted or enforced differently in different states or the judge was in our gym and gave her a passing score through four but didn't make her actually do the routines because she had been watching her at practice for several hours and thought she was good or what, doubt that but she was like the big wig judge in our state so no reason not to trust her.

Dd successfully moved to optionals and will be a level 10 this year so I guess it all worked out. LOL!

In the transition year (the actual year it changes) there were interesting and vague rules about scoring out. I saw on one document that the coach could place them in 3,4, or 5 based on skill development with no score out requirements.

We had the head judge from our state come into our gym to do score outs as my dd was scoring out of new level 4 and 5 that year. We were told she did not need to score out of four and only competed her level 5 routines for her score out.

Now some coaches on her have said that wasn't actually the right thing to do. So I don't know if the rules were interpreted or enforced differently in different states or the judge was in our gym and gave her a passing score through four but didn't make her actually do the routines because she had been watching her at practice for several hours and thought she was good or what, doubt that but she was like the big wig judge in our state so no reason not to trust her.

Dd successfully moved to optionals and will be a level 10 this year so I guess it all worked out. LOL!
Before 2013, the first required level was level 5, so yes, a gymnast could be placed in 3, 4, or 5 with no required scores. But they had to score out of 5 and 6, just like now they have to score out of 4 and 5. 6 was added as a new optional level and is not required.

The judge you mentioned may have still been in the mindset of old Level 4, which is now level 3. I do the same thing still, as my dd started team at level 4 the first year of the new routines in 2005, then her sister also went through compulsories with those levels, so its kind of burned in my brain that way.

So I went and found the document just so I know I'm not crazy. LOL!

I understand how the levels work then and now. This was the year that old four turned into new three. The judge was of brevet level and her coach was very experienced. No one was confused about the levels or in any way trying game the system, but the rules are not maybe bullet proof clear I would say.

A usag document stated if you were an old 1,2,3 or 4 the coach was to place them in a level that represents their skill competency. Dd competed old four the year prior and was placed in new level 5.

An old level five could do new four or five but could not jump directly to six assuming a 31 at old five.

An old level six could be in new five, six or seven assuming a 31 at old six.

A new six must have an old level 6 or new level 5 score of 31 or higher.

These rules only applied in the transition year as part of the transition plan. Now level 4 is the first level you must score out of.

https://usagym.org/pages/women/events/jocompulsories/pdfs/programchanges.pdf

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back