Parents Philosophy about displaying medals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If you zoom in you can see them better...we need to take a few of the older medals off so it's more obvious that they are bars!

hmm, well we don't get medals very often at all here in the UK ( like Aus too), so my DD's age group normal has 30-60 girls, top 3 get a medal, so we don't have many medals to display.

We do however have a picture of her, taken at a meet doing a split ring leap, toe to head. Its on an A2 canvas, at the top of the stairs after you come in the front door for all to see. Every time I look at it I fill with pride. Everyone who sees it says WOW.
i'm not sure what you are talking about so i'd really like to see a picture of your canvas pic :)

Back in the show and tell days she would take one into school. But those days are long gone :(
the only time my dd has brought one to school was for a 4th grade get to know you project they do. they fill a small paper bag with 5 things from a list. so she brought in a state medal to show.
one of her classmates this year had her b/day party at my dd's gym and i told her to dress normally and to not do anything to show off and stay off beam and bars. i didn't want her upstaging the b/day girl or getting hurt. lol

Every family & gymnast has a different idea on medal display.

Most of our kids are blessed with huge sporty genes ( Dhs crazy genetics lol).

So we display prominently for about a 6 week period then quietly into whichever kidlets room. It seems to keep everyone happy- most of the kids have them out for awhile in their room then they end up shoved in a drawer.

And so far ( touching wood here ) the less -sporty- but- blessed - with - other - talents model kids have been just fine with this system:)

My DD's are displayed on a curtain rod, hung underneath a long shelf (shelf holds the trophies). I would feel differently if we hung them in the common rooms of our home but her bedroom is hers. Any friend that is close enough to be hanging out in her bedroom, already knows how much time and effort she puts into gymnastics. She should be happy and proud of them even if she's the only one that sees them 95% of the time. Now it would be rude if she saw someone else's medal/trophy collection and remarked about it's size, etc.

Let me just add, my DH and I have been hanging our medals from races on our own mirrors in our bathroom. Just a little friendly competition - not that either one of us is fast or good. It's just something we do to try to stay healthy and active. They're just participation medals but man, I earned that! I'm currently winning in the medal count ; ) I'm sure people might find it odd but then again, I'm not sure how often anyone walks into my bathroom.

My DD's are displayed on a curtain rod, hung underneath a long shelf (shelf holds the trophies). I would feel differently if we hung them in the common rooms of our home but her bedroom is hers. Any friend that is close enough to be hanging out in her bedroom, already knows how much time and effort she puts into gymnastics. She should be happy and proud of them even if she's the only one that sees them 95% of the time. Now it would be rude if she saw someone else's medal/trophy collection and remarked about it's size, etc.

Let me just add, my DH and I have been hanging our medals from races on our own mirrors in our bathroom. Just a little friendly competition - not that either one of us is fast or good. It's just something we do to try to stay healthy and active. They're just participation medals but man, I earned that! I'm currently winning in the medal count ; ) I'm sure people might find it odd but then again, I'm not sure how often anyone walks into my bathroom.

Yes! I have a big 'ol running medal display rack! Actually two - in MY/our bedroom along a side wall almost behind the door. It's got probably 100 bibs stacked up and maybe 30+ medals. It motivates me and shows the kids that parents can be active and in shape too. I would never have it out in the main part of the house, but we have always tried to model active, healthy lifestyle for the kids from infancy (running them in the stroller). Now it's their turn!

Love all these ideas! My dd is only in preteam so no gym medals yet, only participation trophies from the in gym "mini-olympics."

I bought this really cool tie dye display gym medal holder for my DD room. She was like " oh I want them in the living room so everyone can see them."

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! You all have made me comfortable that displaying some of her medals would be a fine move. I decided to ask my DD if she would like a rack rather than surprise her. She is one of those girls who puts medals in her bag before going up for the next one, won't let me buy her the state leo if she has any team mates that didn't make states, etc. So I just wasn't sure what she would say. I am happy to say she is keen to display some bling. DD and DH just knocked me down to a 3 foot rack from my 4 foot plan :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back