Parents Philosophy about displaying medals?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think it's up to your dd. Her room, her space, if she wants to display them, let her.

If visitors judge your kid for being proud of her achievements or having her possessions on display in her space, that's their problem.

I am not sure what level or how long your DD has been doing this, but these kids collect a LOT of medals! DD started out by having all of them hung up in her room- over the edge of her mirror, but she felt like this was "too much". She got a medal holder thing, and she puts her state/ regional medals on that from all years, and then only has out the current year medals. the rest are in a zip lock bag and in a box in her closet. :)

I don't think of it as a shrine at all - just a display of all that hard work! DD has a medal holder and most medals go on it after a meet. She only keeps her state trophies out in her room, the rest are stored.

My husband was initially opposed to allowing our daughter display her medals for some of the same reasons your husband has--boastful, too much focus on placements instead of hard work, and on the other hand most of the first season's medals were participation medals that didn't "deserve" to be displayed. Eventually he agreed to let her put her few "real" medals on her bulletin board, and after a few months of that (and after she brought home some more medals that she had really earned and he saw how much they meant to her), he had no problem putting up a curtain rod for all of the medals.

I prefer a curtain rod to a rack with hooks because the rod allows the medals to be spread out evenly instead of being clustered on the hooks. One of my daughter's teammates has a really cute gallery wall sort of arrangement with a curtain rod, shelves for trophies, and her name in big wooden letters.

She should be able to display her medals if she wants.......it only lasts a few years, enjoy it. My now 16 yo put them all away in his closet.....his choice.

hmm, well we don't get medals very often at all here in the UK ( like Aus too), so my DD's age group normal has 30-60 girls, top 3 get a medal, so we don't have many medals to display.

We do however have a picture of her, taken at a meet doing a split ring leap, toe to head. Its on an A2 canvas, at the top of the stairs after you come in the front door for all to see. Every time I look at it I fill with pride. Everyone who sees it says WOW.

As said above in the U.K. We don't seem to get as many medals as you do in the US as medals are only awarded to the top 3 places so I couldn't imagine telling my daughter she couldn't display her medals that she does have.

funny, but I always feel like your bedroom is your private space and nothing you display there should be open to judgement. displaying your medals in your own personal space should not be considered boastful anymore than it could be considered ****ty to hang my undies on my bed post to air dry (is that bad? do other people not do that?!) If you wore them around your neck to school, boastful. But displayed in the privacy of your own room, not boastful.

That said, i don't tend to let me DD's hang out with friends in their rooms unless it is a bestie for a sleepover. And ODDs besties already know her passion for the sport and know that she never talks/brags about it at all.

Hmm, I'm not sure since I haven't posted a photo yet, but another person did one earlier in this thread..
Actually, I think you can just right click "copy image" then right click paste into here. I just tried it with my profile pic and it works.. As long as you have a photo of the display. :)

If you wore them around your neck to school, boastful

Mine do this, usually take any medals into school. The school will usually have them stand up in assembly as recognition of their achievement.

Dd1 did it in particular as the school have been very supportive and encouraging when she needs time off for training or comps.

Not so much in high school though.

Mine do this, usually take any medals into school. The school will usually have them stand up in assembly as recognition of their achievement.

Dd1 did it in particular as the school have been very supportive and encouraging when she needs time off for training or comps.

Not so much in high school though.

That's amazing that your kids' school does that. so great to showcase them like that, esp in a sport that may never be recognized in school. I'm more picturing wearing the medals like an accessory to brag!

Back in the show and tell days she would take one into school. But those days are long gone :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back