WAG Phone Calls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

k3mom

Proud Parent
This is probably a stupid question, but I just can't find the answer anywhere! Under the new recruiting rules, are gymnasts who have not yet reached their junior year still allowed to call college coaches (and the coach is allowed to answer and speak with the gymnast)? My daughter has had one of her coaches tell her she is no longer allowed to call and another one tell her she should be calling. I have looked and looked online, but cannot find the answer. I did find a very handy chart the other day that very clearly said phone calls were not allowed until the junior year, but then right next to it, it also said there was to be no electronic communication, but I know she is allowed to email the coaches (they just can't write back). Does anyone know for sure?

Well, DD just recently emailed a bunch of coaches - and those that responded back did so with the generic "per NCAA recruiting rules..." and most said that is allowed - for the gymnast to call them...

We were told that our DD could contact the college coaches that have expressed interest, either via phone or email, and that once my DD reached out to them that the college coach could respond. But that the college coach can't be the one to initiate the contact.

Ok, so here is a bizarre question (from one whose child is nowhere near calling any coaches, btw):
When your child calls them, wth is she supposed to say?
"Hi, I am so-and-so and I love your school!"
???
Truly, I would like to know just what these kids are supposed to say when they call these coaches. I really would. Because, try as I may, I can't really imagine what the heck a teenager (or -ulp- tweenager) is going to say to a college coach on the phone, providing they actually GET ahold of the coach. And if you don't, what message do you leave?

When my DD called she just thanked the coach for the letter she sent and the coach asked some very general questions about gymnastics (favorite event, current skills being worked on, ultimate goals, etc..). They were on the phone for maybe 10 minutes, all very easy going small talk, mainly about gymnastics.

Ok, but what about those coaches who just "express verbal interest" and give no such letter?
I am basically talking about random gymnasts calling up or writing coaches. Writing seems much easier; it can be thought through. But for a 14 year old to call up a coach randomly, wth does the child say?

That is a tough one, I really wouldn't know how to go about that. I would suggest starting with emails first and then following up with a phone call if a response is received to the email. But I'm sure there are others on here that will have much better advice for you.

Yah I just got curious, wondered what all the girls out there are doing....my kid is not even in this pony show at present, and don't know if she ever will be....but I couldn't help but wonder!

Reactions: sce
Ok, so here is a bizarre question (from one whose child is nowhere near calling any coaches, btw):
When your child calls them, wth is she supposed to say?
"Hi, I am so-and-so and I love your school!"
???
Truly, I would like to know just what these kids are supposed to say when they call these coaches. I really would. Because, try as I may, I can't really imagine what the heck a teenager (or -ulp- tweenager) is going to say to a college coach on the phone, providing they actually GET ahold of the coach. And if you don't, what message do you leave?
Maybe "Hi, I am me and I am a 14 year old Level X gymnast at The Gym Club and I am very interested in your school and the gymnastics program."

Reactions: sce
I was wondering the same thing as she just asked! Also what about Instagram and You Tube? Do they email and send their links? This is allowed? If they follow a college on Instagram does the college follow them back? Will that actually get them anywhere or is it a waste of time?

My understanding is that the gymnast can send emails with links to YouTube, website but the school can not respond to them with more than thanks fill out the recruit questionaire or info on camps. They can not initiate contact until sept of junior year. If gymnast calls and they answer they can talk. But coach can not return a phone call until junior year.
The new piece is that if you are not a junior yet you can no longer meet with the athletic staff in any way during a college visit. You used to be able to “run into” a coach and talk but that piece is no longer allowed
Now college coach can talk to club coach all they want. I’m guessing that’s how the verbal offers prior to junior year are still happening

Do you think all the extra parts help at all? As an outsider it looks like everything is harder but it has the same end result...

Do you think all the extra parts help at all? As an outsider it looks like everything is harder but it has the same end result...

No I don't think it will help at all....a rule with no teeth in it is just that. If they "violate" the rules, colleges are allowed to self report to the NCAA, as in, "we saw Susie at JOs and just figured she was a high school jr when we iniated contact, oops....won't happen again" ...never mind that Susie was Jr A or B. And the NCAA gives them a pat on the back for recognizing their error and promising to behave. If there was a penalty such as loss of a scholarship for 4 years or not allowed to compete in post season for early contact/verballing (because no one verbals as a middle schooler without early contact) , then there would be restraint. As it stands now, the response is "well if we don't, then X/Y/Z school will so..."

What you will see with these new "rules" is every school having as many camps as they think feasible to "see" the gymnasts they want before Jr year...and the college coach can talk a blue streak to them there...

[QUOTE="
What you will see with these new "rules" is every school having as many camps as they think feasible to "see" the gymnasts they want before Jr year...and the college coach can talk a blue streak to them there...[/QUOTE]

This is what I don't understand. Now I have to pull my daughter out of regular practice and have her coach get mad, and pay for a college camp so they can see her!?! An perhaps talk? For every college she might want to attend? what a headache!

[QUOTE="
What you will see with these new "rules" is every school having as many camps as they think feasible to "see" the gymnasts they want before Jr year...and the college coach can talk a blue streak to them there...

This is what I don't understand. Now I have to pull my daughter out of regular practice and have her coach get mad, and pay for a college camp so they can see her!?! An perhaps talk? For every college she might want to attend? what a headache![/QUOTE]

Yup, and all on your dime still....

This is what I don't understand. Now I have to pull my daughter out of regular practice and have her coach get mad, and pay for a college camp so they can see her!?! An perhaps talk? For every college she might want to attend? what a headache!

Yup, and all on your dime still....[/QUOTE]

Boo!!!!!

Yup, and all on your dime still....[/QUOTE]

Coaches can still come to the club gym, see dd practice, do skills, and talk to dd's coach all they want. They can still observe any meets they want to. The only communication that has changed is on campus contact and tours with athletic department. I am hoping this is a step and that they will make stiffer rules in future years. For the meantime, the one positive in this is that young girls will be touring the actual college and hopefully evaluating the college itself rather than just getting wowed by the locker room and facilities...

No I don't think it will help at all....a rule with no teeth in it is just that. If they "violate" the rules, colleges are allowed to self report to the NCAA, as in, "we saw Susie at JOs and just figured she was a high school jr when we iniated contact, oops....won't happen again" ...never mind that Susie was Jr A or B. And the NCAA gives them a pat on the back for recognizing their error and promising to behave. If there was a penalty such as loss of a scholarship for 4 years or not allowed to compete in post season for early contact/verballing (because no one verbals as a middle schooler without early contact) , then there would be restraint. As it stands now, the response is "well if we don't, then X/Y/Z school will so..."

all they have to do is not allow verbal commitments until JR year. allow unofficial visits and conversation prior to that so the gymnasts can get to know the coaches better with little pressure.

all they have to do is not allow verbal commitments until JR year. allow unofficial visits and conversation prior to that so the gymnasts can get to know the coaches better with little pressure.

You can't prevent a verbal commitment! It is simply a child saying they will go to school at X university. It is not binding by either the child or the school. And is neither allowed or disallowed by the NCAA because they can not regulate what a kid says.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back