Parents Phrases kids use to describe how well ( not well) a skill went.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

htimcj

Proud Parent
So DD came home from practice yesterday and told me very excitedly that she did Yurchenko drills today and I didn't DIE! She really needs a different phrase :confused:

So how does your gymnast describe or think about how skills they do successfully or not o_O? Do they think things like OMG I lived in their heads, ect ?

My DD is very excited to move on from the FHS vault but will compete them one more year since she is repeating L7 this coming year.

When mine works fly aways she normally says she did not crack her head open on the bar. I finally video'd her to prove to her how far her head actually was from the bar.

i have this one kid. whenever i ask her how something went she says "i couldn't have sucked more if i tried". no matter how many times she says it i still laugh. :) this girl is a level 10 and does outrageously good gymnastics.

"don't Die" has become the standard "good luck" for our optional boys. They say it so much that the parents adopted it and use it as they head out for meets.

Some of D's classics:
"it wasn't ugly"
"not my pommel day"
"i rocked it"

and my favorite:
"I nutted the bar!"

Asked my girl yesterday how her Stalders were going and she said "not so gross any more".
I'll take it!:p

Mine is a little, um, optimistic in describing her skills. Last week she ran up to me at the end of practice and excitedly reported that "I almost have my aerial!" and then proceeded to show me a cartwheel with two hands. Earlier this week it was, "Mommy, watch me do a front tuck!" that landed in a seated position. "That looks fun--can you land on your feet?" "No, but I can DO it!" There are certainly no self-esteem problems in our house!

Let's see, usually the first couple times DD tries a skill, she does actually land on her head. So... it is definitely a fear of hers.

However, I think she lives in butterfly, rainbow, lala land - things have a much more positive spin than they probably deserve. On the other hand, if her skewed vision of it keeps her going back for more, all power to her!

I usually get the super-specific answer "good" or "not so good". These wonderful answers come with any questions about school and anything else about her day.

Last year my dd had some spectacular crashes trying to learn the yurchenko. After one practice I asked her how it went and she said "I have no idea, I was just trying so hard to avoid killing myself I wasn't paying attention to how it went." Not exactly what a parent wants to hear LOL
Exactly!

Generally:

How did your session feel tonight?

1. "yeah good" and relax, turn the radio off as this is often followed by some positive chatter about something that went well and probably mean there wont be any huge bruises.
2. "fine" pretty standard, don't push it, turn the radio down, ask her what went well and then change the subject.
3. Screwed up face - smile, hug, hand out snack, turn the radio up and leave her to go to sleep.

Specifically:

Vault - yes about the die thing. Is that something that kicks in with yurchenkos?! Vault is either 'great' or 'horrible'.
Bars - "I could have kept my giants going all night" or "well I didn't splat, land on the bar or break any toes", depending what she's doing.
Beam and floor rarely get more than fine at the moment...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back