Coaches Pirouettes Confuse Me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PalmTree

Coach
In a basic Level 8 bar routine, when a gymnast does the kip cast hand pirouette on low bar, does it matter how she turns? For example, turning her good hand backwards and then pirouetting like in this video:

Level 8 bar routine at smokey mountain gymnastics vacation classic - YouTube

OR turning inward and then switching the second hand like in this video:
2010 WOGA Classic level 8 Bar champion with score 9.9 -- Emily Zeng - YouTube

Is one way better than the other for progressive skills?

Also, how in the world does one make their hand/arm turn for a Healy? Is that just shoulder flexibility? Does it end in eagle grip?

I have never understood pirouettes. Thanks.

The hand motions on those two pirouettes are, as far as I can see, identical. I'm not sure I understand what difference you're seeing.

A healy starts in reverse grip and finishes in eagle grip.

They both did the same thing, turned the right hand and pirouetted, but you were looking at the stomach initially of the first kid and the back initially of the second kid so maybe that is what confused you.

Second routine was beast though. Great shoulder extension.

I agree with Geoffrey, that as far as I can tell they are both doing a right handed pirouette and they are the same. I wouldn't worry too much about the Healy at this point, but if we are talking about the same skill, my girls finish with one hand in under grip and the other in eagle. It takes years of prep for that, and needs to be worked carefully. As for being confused, don't worry about that, it comes with time. Pirouetting took me longer to get an eye for than probably anything else I could think of. I'm sure there must be some vids on YouTube that would show you the basics. I start early with the little ones on a floor bar with an 8" mat on both sides and let them have it. The more you spot it, the easier and clearer it will become. As for the direction, I have them go both ways until they feel like they have a preference. Until then, I just have them turn towards me to make it safer and easier, then when they are on their own they can go which ever way they would like. Keep at it! :)

Yes, looking at it again I can see that they are the same. I meant to post a different video for the first one. But I think I figured out what was confusing me-sometimes the gymnast slides her first hand as she turns it and sometimes she simply picks it up and puts it down in reverse grip in the same spot. Does that make sense?

Yes, looking at it again I can see that they are the same. I meant to post a different video for the first one. But I think I figured out what was confusing me-sometimes the gymnast slides her first hand as she turns it and sometimes she simply picks it up and puts it down in reverse grip in the same spot. Does that make sense?
--
I teach my kids to shift and bring the hand in a little before putting it back on the bar. (inch or two)

i think the poster is trying to punk us...:) she got me...i watched them both 7769400308776769600430947576 times trying to figure out the difference. ;)

Haha! Sorry everyone! I was confused from looking at it at different angles and not up close. I get it now!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back