Pirouettes on Bars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am currently working on my pirouette on low bar, and though I am not having trouble with the actual pirouette, I am having trouble holding my feet up afterwards during the kip out of it. I feel like I have very little control coming out of the pirouette but I am not sure how to try and gain more control or adjust better. Any tips on having more control or doing a better job holding my feet up?

Thanks in advance!:D

It helps a LOT if you keep your head in during the cast and pirouette. Also make sure to press down really hard on the bar so you're in a good handstand position when you finish the pirouette. If you're turning late, you won't be able to have control.

One thing that helped me was doing drills for toe-ons because it helped me get my feet close to the bar out of a handstands. Place an 8-inch mat behind a low bar, do a handstand on the bar, and toe on to your butt on the mat. Also, make sure you work 3 kip cast handstands in a row, keeping your feet up.

The second your feel your cast start to level out near handstand, switch your first hand for the pirouette. That way you'll be able to pirouette BEFORE you hit handstand, so you can finish the pirouette in handstand.

If you finish the pirouette in handstand, it's MUCH easier to hold your feet in the kip.

Another good thing to do is once your finish the pirouette is to lean back over the bar. That way you'll have much less momentum swinging down from the handstand.

After you lean over the bar, push your shoulders back and bring your feet forward. Try to hold your feet near the bar as long as you can before you finally drop them in FRONT of you.

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Turning my first hand sooner is definitely something I need to work on, so I will try turning my first hand sooner, and I will also try keeping my feet closer to the bar. Thank you again!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back