Coaches pirouettes or releases

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

dmytv

Coach
ok, I have 2 gymnasts who will be level 8 next year. I am wondering if I should have them train to compete pirouttes or releases? Also what releases are more progressive. Which ones are dead-ends? I have a spotting belt but, I only have use of a pit once every 2 weeks. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am going to a clinic this weekend.

Most level 8s will do a cast HS 1/2 or clear hip 1/2. Most level 8s who do releases will do them poorly. Teach them a solid pirouette now for next year. Start working drills for releases for level nine or a second year of eight.

L8?

Isn't it basically straddle back or bail (overshoot)?

I think it might be easier to train the overshoot without the use of a pit. Most of our girls at one gym did straddle back and we only had a set of unevens over resi. I don't remember them taking out the low bar but unfortunately I only remember one girl really training it (we had two older girls that were injured when I got there and ended up retiring).

Level 8's can also do Toe-Hechts now that they are allowed one C per event, right? But agree with other posters that pirouette should be the first choice, along with training for releases.

Pirouette...start training the other stuff.

I agree with JBS. Teach them to pirouette, but at the same time start working bails (or whatever you choose) TO HANDSTAND. Bails take a while, especially if you're going to teach them right. It's not a huck it/chuck it skill in my mind. But if you put in a decent amount of work on the front end, spotting shapes and technique the end result is MUCH better than if you have kids throw it over night.

Here are a couple good videos on overshoots if you want them:
Don’t under shoot on your Overshoot | Swing Big!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back