WAG Pit cleaning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our gym has a once a year pit cleaning party. We have multiple pits so the work is divided between teams: Excel, JO, Boys team. The kids and coaches do the cleaning. I am not sure if the gym provides masks or if parents provide masks, but some kids do wear masks. After the pits are cleaned the kids have open gym fun and pizza. Parents are not involved in the cleaning process. The gym makes it fun and the kids look forward to helping.

our gym is 5yo. they cleaned the pit out this summer for the 1st time (well, maybe they've cleaned it before but this is the 1st time i've known about it). the teams helped one of the last days of mini camp (right before summer schedule started). they pulled all the blocks out. they finally found a phone that had been missing for a year from one of the JO girls. lol. then, the owners and manager cleaned the bottom of it (yuck) and i think the kids threw the blocks back in the next day. it was fun for the kids.

blocks have been replaced periodically over the past couple of years as some of the blocks became too damaged.

Reactions: sce
Not exactly sure what the protocol is for pit cleaning as my daughter has only been there for a few months. They do have the covers though and they definitely seem to not get damaged so easily. Also, she attends a class fridays during the day, which happened at the same time summer camp did. One day, I saw the counselors tell the kids when they finished doing whatever activity they were doing they could empty the pit, which the kids seemed excited about. That thing was empty in just a few minutes. Not sure how they cleaned it after that as I was busy paying attention to my daughters class.

Reactions: sce
Our gym only just got a foam pit and I hadn't even turned my mind to the scary stuff that could be lurking. We did, however, get an email yesterday advising all families that they were to sign up for gym cleaning every Sunday evening. I'm assuming this means the pit will be cleaned every week but not sure yet.

Ours gets cleaned out twice a year when the parents are required to clean the gym. It is emptied out completely, the dead mice, lost scrunchies and old bandaids are removed and it gets a good vacuum. The foam is knocked together before it goes back in the pit to get rid of the dust and it's dumped back in. Our pit is gigantic, probably 20x20 so it's a huge job that takes about 6 hours with around 8 parents working at it over a few shifts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back