Parents Pixie got her beam dismount at the meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

woohooOoo!! lol!!

The meet went well and Pixie did really well though I'm a bit perplexed. This is only her 2nd meet at this level. AA, performance wise, wasn't as strong but her scores blew her last meets scores outta the water!

From parents who have more experience at this, is there often such a discrepancy?

First up......

Floor: Her routine was strong throughout but her RBHS was even more froggy than last meet. She has totally lost her straight legs on her RBHS, even at practice. Will she ever get it back? Stay tuned......:p

9.4 (last meet 9.35)

Bars: Last meet Pixie did her stride circle but her coach told her she couldn't do it that way during this meet so she missed her stride circle and the coach helped her around.

9.25 (last meet 8.7 huh?)

Vault: Last meet I missed her first vault and the approach of her second. I wasn't going to miss this time! Well, the vault was right in front of where we sat so I had no choice, ha! They were really strong, for her! Much better than she does in practice. She was so proud she was looking to see if I saw her :D

9.35 (last meet 8.6)

Beam: Pixie has been scared of her beam dismount ever since she crash landed on her face but to my surprise and hers she did her dismount during her routine! I think it took her by surprise because she sort of stumbled out of it but it was so precious I almost cried!! Her beam coach hugged her after the routine it was just a tender moment.

9.45 (last meet 8.4)

AA 37.45 ~wow~

Pixie tied for 1st! Imagine that!?!

WOW! She did really well! Congratulations to her!

I have to admit - her bar score is a bit confusing...Isn't there an 8 tenth deduction for a spot? I thought that there was, but idk - i've been wrong a million time in my life and this might be another.:rolleyes:

as for discrep. on scores... My daughter is pretty new to the competion scene as far as gymnastics goes...We've done a few L2 meets (unsanctioned, of course) and the scoring was about the same at every meet. BUT we regularly do USTA tumbling meets and find that on any given day, scores may be WAY high or WAY low...I think it depends on the judges and what they are looking for that day.

As an example, dd scored a 9.4 9.6 (judge 1 & 2 respectively) on her first pass and a 9.5 9.3 on her second pass (jude 1 & 2) at a meet 3 weeks ago. Won first place. But then when we competed yesterday, she did the same passes (looked exactly the same when played back on video) and scored 8.9 9.1 on the first pass and 8.9 9.0 on the second pass...still won first place, but scored much lower. IMHO, there are several tenths difference in the scores but the passes look VERY similar. I think it sort of comes down to what exactly the judges are looking for as far as technicality and execution on any given day.

I'm definitly not a judge though. I have definitly noticed a difference in scoring throughout our different meets. But honestly, if the judges are taking the same exact deductions for each athlete and judging every athlete the same way, then the outcome would really be no different whether or not the judges are scoring high or low that day...

this probably made no sense. I really feel like i sort of rambled...

Anyway - little pixie got some really great scores!!! Yay for her! It sounds like she had a really wonderful meet! Congrats!:D

And WAY TO GO on that dismount!!! I think the dismount fairy has definitely hanging around the chalkbucket lately! I almost cried when i saw my dd do it too! I just love it when they finally get a new skill!!! Yay pixie!!!

Congrats on the great meet!!:D. I've seen all kinds of wild scores...lol...I think they do differ from judge to judge. I think the judges all have different things they look for. As long as everyone at the meet was judged by the same judge I would take it and run!!! :rolleyes:hmmm that's my opinion anyway...:)

Great job on that dismount, glad it showed up for the most important moment.

As for scores, oh yes, I have seen them all over the place. Usually what I do see is that the girls usually fall about the same in rank, but scores are higher or lower.

Way to go Pixie!!

Gotta love getting a skill AT the meet...that's the way to do it!!!:D

I know nothing about scores, but, hey, take the high ones while you can get 'em, right??:p

WHOOOOO HOOOOO! Way to go with the dismount! That is the best part of it all!

We have horrible judging inconsistencies here. Even was flabergasted when I heard our chief judge in the state actually adjusted a score after a coach mentioned she needed some score score to qualify to state!!! I'm a bit beside myself on that one, however that is what I heard, but until I clarify with the coach himself, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that it's just a nasty rumor. I heard it from a very reliable source tho. We see the same judges for the most part all year long since we are so small populated state, but our scores range broadly. This weekend's State Meet we will see how generous the judges are. I expect my DD's best scores of the year, since it is state, but she also has improved on a few things in the last two weeks too.

Fingers crossed for her to break her first 34.00 as a first year L4.

Way to go Pixie!!!!

I just wanted to quickly post the video from this week's meet before I had to run to my son's swim meet. I'll come back and reply to everyone later tonight.

I didn't want you all to think I'm ignoring you :p

[YOUTUBE]wJbgjhajeJw[/YOUTUBE]

Hi, sheplaysinthechalk! Thanks for the compliments, I'll pass them on to Pixie :)
To tell you the truth I don't know what the deductions are. This is only the 2nd meet where my daughter has received scores. Last season they got flags according to how well they executed their routines. They would receive a blue for excellent, a red for good and a white flag for needs improvement. Then they were awarded correlating ribbons for each event. It just boggled my mind that the scores were so much higher this meet than last when she actually did better during the last meet. Though, she did get her beam dismount this meet!

Hey, Shawn! Thanks a bunch I'll tell Pixie you said so!!

kevchriswilli, great advice, lol! I'll tell you what Pixie wasn't complaining in the least. She beamed brighter than the sun. It just made my day to see her so proud of herself and to have so much fun.

Thanks, Bog! Her coach stopped me before practice yesterday and said "can you belkieve that dismount!?!" I told I had tears in my eyes when it happened and she said she did too then we both started tearing up again, haha! It was too funny! Pixie is so lucky to have her for a coach. You can tell she cares about the girls. And I really appreciate that.

Hey, mom2kazkids! I will certainly pass on your encouraging words! Thanks so much!!

Absolutely madigym00! Pixie was moved up to USAG level 4 and may not see these type of results for a few meets. I've already started preparing her. I told her they probably judge a lot harder at her next meet. We'll find out in January!

emacmommy, it must be so frustrating to have your daughter compete under those conditions! I wish her luck. And I'll keep my fingers crossed, too!!

Thanks, Ingymmom! Pixie said she wanted a Hannah Montana song for this video. So, she picked the song. I though it was a really cute choice! She did have a fun time. The whole drive home she kept saying I can't believe I did my dismount in the meet! Bless her heart. Those are the moments that make it all worth while :)

Hi, sheplaysinthechalk! Thanks for the compliments, I'll pass them on to Pixie :)
To tell you the truth I don't know what the deductions are. This is only the 2nd meet where my daughter has received scores. Last season they got flags according to how well they executed their routines. They would receive a blue for excellent, a red for good and a white flag for needs improvement. Then they were awarded correlating ribbons for each event. It just boggled my mind that the scores were so much higher this meet than last when she actually did better during the last meet. Though, she did get her beam dismount this meet!

:) lol! I, too, am not necessarily familiar with the actual deductions either...I am definitely NO judge! I was just remembering that my dd was having a fear thing with the tuck jump on beam for L2 and wanted a spot in the meet. When the coach let made her do it by herself, dd was a bit upset. He told me in the end that it was better - deductions wise - for her to attempt the tuck jump solo rather than with a spot. Something about if she falls, there is a .5 deduction. But, if he spots the skill, there is .8 or .6 deduction...I don't remember exactly.

As far as you dd's bar score - TAKE IT!! That is an AMAZING score - regardless of whether there was or wasn't a deduction! (9.anything is a wonderful accomplishment - ALWAYS!) I think she did wonderfully! Watched the video. She was awesome!!! And, i think you did a great job on the montage!

She is so cute out there and she is a beautiful girl! Very nice montage you made, I loved it! My DD loves when I make a montage for her. She loves watching herself on YouTube. :D

As for scoring, I often look at my DDs scores and think they were low, but compared to the routines the 37s/38AAs were scoring, I can see why. We usually have the same judges at many meets, just on different apparatus. They are pretty tough here.

I honestly think the judges watch the girls during warm ups and get an idea of how the scoring will be, if there are amazingly precise gymnasts out there, they up the notch. Who knows. That is why I have told my DD that she needs to compete against herself and not the scores. Make small goals and try to make those. Judging can be very inconsistent and it is confusing to a kid to feel like they did better, but scored less or vice versa.

Honestly, Pixie looked very similar to my DD at meets (except those beam turns, my DD touched her other foot on the turns at every meet) and my DD hasn't gotten over a 28AA. The only thing she has even gotten an 8 on was vault. But competition here is tough and I think every state is different. Those girls with the 37/38AA have no wobbles on beam, straight legs/arms on everything, pointed toes, by the book routines, etc. Definitely a difference when compared to my DDs routine. LOL.

Judging is what it is at whatever meet and she earned those scores fair and square at that particular meet, so she should enjoy them!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back