Planning the first annual Chalk Bucket Classic for 2013 or 2014!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
I have been thinking about running a meet for quite some time now. I really didn't know where to begin before...didn't know if it was a possibility...didn't know if it would ever happen.

Now I've helped run several big competitions (1,000+ invitationals, compulsory and optional state meets, region 4 regionals) and I know exactly were to begin...begin with lots of time and lots of $$$. Time we have...money we do not.

How much money do we need?...LOTS! I do believe that we can really use the resources of the Chalk Bucket and get many sponsors, great deals, and discounts...but we will still need a good chunk of money to start.

Initial Goal....$10,000 USD

[strike]If you truly want to see this happen...help out. I have created a new usergroup on the site called the 'Planning Committee'. It is just of group for member that want to and can afford to financially support this competition. The 'Planning Committee' costs $5/month to join...it is a membership that automatically renews each month (you can cancel through your Paypal account if you need to). Upon joining the committee, you will receive access to the Chalk Bucket Classic planning forum...we will keep track of the details there.

What if I want to help out but I cannot afford $5/month? Find a sponsor...there are many members on this site that can financially afford $5/month that will have no interest in helping plan.[/strike]

Please respond to this thread with questions.

Thank you for your continued support!

EDIT: We will be selling Chalk Bucket t-shirts to raise extra money for the meet. Look for those soon.

Last edited:
What a great idea JBS!!! Maybe Bog we should have a contest to design the shirt and charge an entry fee to be in it!! That could also help raise money for the event!!!

Or a few different t-shirts. I, for example, would LOVE a shirt that says something to the effect of "everything I know about gymnastics, I learned on Chalk Bucket" but obviously this wouldn't appeal to coaches/gymnasts. Maybe we need to have a parents' shirt, a coaches' shirt, and a gymnasts' shirt?

T-shirts are a great idea!

My hands are a bit full (and my pockets a bit empty) to dive in right now, but once things settle down a bit around here, count me in.

Great idea! Do you have a location in mind yet?

It could be anywhere in the US. It needs to be in an area with lots of gymnasts so we have a good local pull...but also near a major airport as it would be nice to develop it into a 'fly' meet.

I did put calls into convention centers in several cities today...Anaheim was one of them.

Last edited:
Include boys and have it in a city on the East coast that AA flies to, and you might even get the Barbados national team! We are always looking for good co-ed meets that are easy to get to. We're dying to find one in NY or Dallas, but near JFK or DFW so we don't have the cost and time of then commuting too far once we land. We have good direct flights to MIA, JFK and DFW from Barbados, so those are really the best bets.

Not that you could arrange everything just to suit us, but I thought I'd throw that out there anyway, in case you'd like to add some international flavour to your meet. :)

T-shirts are a great idea!

We sold "limited edition" t-shirts at our gym for the 2 girls going to nationals. The other mom designed them and had some samples printed up, which we displayed. We sold them for 2 weeks and raised almost $600 for their fees. It was a great idea and people loved them. So go for it!

It could be anywhere in the US. It needs to be in an area with lots of gymnasts so we have a good local pull...but also near a major airport as it would be nice to develop it into a 'fly' meet.

I did put calls into convention centers in several cities today...Anaheim was one of them.

No, no, that's way too far. Have it more central so east coasters can go too!

We're on the East Coast and I travel a fair amount. Fact is, it is often easier to get inexpensive flights to major cities on the West Coast than it is to cities 'somewhere in the middle' even though that doesn't seem logical! So, for example, to fly to, say, St Louis or Chicago, might require a stop somewhere and take me all day to get there, whereas I can fly direct to LA and get a cheaper flight from the Northeast. Food for thought.

The Houston area has a big international airport and lots of nearby gyms. You may want to check the prices at the George R Brown (GRB)convention center it has lots of space.

It would be great if there could be an adult category to compete in also! And I love the t-shirt idea!

Oh and that would be amazing if it was at the Anaheim Convention Center because I live about 25 minutes away from there :]

Seems to me that St Louis would be a great place! Major airport AND it is right in the middle!! Plus, it doesn't hurt that this is where we live!! LOL!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back