Parents Plantar Warts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sorry if I worded things incorrectly. But, I thought I made a point of saying that the same strain of HPV that causes plantar warts is NOT the same that causes female cancers. I did not say all female cancer comes from HPV. And I did not say the vaccine would prevent all strains that can lead to female cancer. I was very careful about how I worded things. Maybe I should have left out the second paragraph, but thought someone might like to know what I was told. Sorry if I offended anyone

oh no, i didn't find it offensive at all. i was just thinking that it should be kept simple. like to the feet and such. capiche? not a discussion which begins to travel to other parts of the body. lol. :) you know, maybe just a little to much information for some of the kids that read here. that's all i was thinking.

I'll chime in ... some has been said. My kids have been through plantar warts. Used duct tape full-time; they went away. I think it focuses the immune system on that area of the skin.

Doesn't seem to work with adults. I tried freezing. Hurts horribly for days because it damages so much tissue around the wart. Didn't work. What worked was laser treatment at the dermatologist. It hurts worse than freezing for a minute or so but the next day there's no pain at all. It's much more focused on the wart and damages the surrounding tissue less. I had some that were very resistant and we ended up using lidocaine so he could really, really torch those suckers. And now you know a lot about what used to be on my feet. In my experience if you don't get on top of plantar warts one way or the other, you end up with lots and lots of them and then getting rid of them is much harder.

Yes but we all know that gymnasts' feet are not the only things that come in contact with the floor at the gym right? So when she does a handstand where the person with a plantar wart was just standing, then wipes her face with her hand...

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I am learning that it is much more common among gyms and dance studios than I had thought. Anyway, we took baby girl to the podiatrist and they did the scrape and salicylic (sp?) acid treatment there. The doc said to follow up with the duct tape treatment. We're doing that and it seems to be helping it go away, but what can I do to keep them from showing up again?

Yes but we all know that gymnasts' feet are not the only things that come in contact with the floor at the gym right? So when she does a handstand where the person with a plantar wart was just standing, then wipes her face with her hand...
Plantar warts only occur on the feet. I'm not sure they would spread to other areas, but I'm not really certain.

I just looked this up and found out that plantar warts don't spread to other body parts. They can spread to other areas on the soles of the feet.

I just looked this up and found out that plantar warts don't spread to other body parts. They can spread to other areas on the soles of the feet.

Because if they do, they're no longer plantar warts!

Warts can spread to any part of the body. It's fairly rare, but can happen (did to me!) It's all HPV virus.

Warts are fairly harmless by themselves. Messing them around can actually cause them to spread, so they're best left alone. Leaving them also means the immune system can deal with them, meaning they're less likely to come back as you'll be immune. I'd only bother removing them if they're painful or causing problems.

Most of the medical and sports communities now recognise that there's no point in treating or preventative measures such as verruca socks any more.

Warts - PubMed Health

This is a good link from british swimming; The Problem With Verrucas | British Swimming

The problem is that in some people the immune system does not deal with them. Mine didn't. The wart virus is good at "hiding" from the immune system of some people. Molluscum is like that too. Fairly harmless and some doctors like to treat and others say just ignore it and six to eighteen months later it will be gone. My doctor said to ignore but as it turned out another mom's daughter got them and was in a panic and the poor kid ended up being treated for MRSA (not that she had it). So we tea tree oiled aggressively. At any rate ... sigh. Silly skin viruses.

Update....

Brought DD back to the dr and the warts are still there. Treated again with the acid and keeping duct tape on them. They are looking smaller, but not gone....not even close. We go back in two more weeks to check again. This is seeming like it might take some time. I'm not sure that the acid is really doing anything except aggravating the warts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back