WAG Planters faciitis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My oldest dd recently got diagnosed with planters fasciitis, and also had a week spring ligament, ( part of it is because she is very flat footed). we are taking all is necessary to get her better and following the doctors orders, some of the things he said to do is buy supportive running shoes, she's not allowed to wear any shoes but running shoes all day everyday, no barefoot walking and no sandals. The only time he said she can't wear them is when she's sleeping and in the shower. But because she's a gymnast she has to be bare foot at the gym, the doctor said it was fine but it will be a slower process of getting better, but my question is, is there anything we can do for her at the gym, right now she can't really do anything on floor, beam or vault for to long with put having to stop and rest her feet and stretch her calfs ( calf pain a swell as feet pain ). What you recommend and have any of you gone through this with your kids

My girls both have it. They have x braces that help some. I have heard that taping the arches can help; but both of my girls have adhesive allergirles, so we don't do that .

I just got put in a boot for 6 weeks because of it . I couldn't imagine being a gymnast with it . They gave me a cortisone shot in my foot . Hope she feels better soon .

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

My dancing DD has it. She does wear one of those "arch support bands" for PF when she takes tumbling (she did that over the summer). Frozen golfballs and a rubber roller to massage it when it's bad, and very limited running/walking when it flares up. Hers isn't too awful, she manages to dance 5-6 days/wk just fine, but I do try to make her slip a gel support into her ballet slippers when it's really bad...
She did say that arch support really felt like it helped on the gym floor, it was inexpensive (around $20) and well worth that.

Just be prepared that it is a LONG healing process, and will likely keep flaring up here and there. DDs is mostly OK but does bother her now and then.... And we are on year #2 of it.

I've had it and it is awful! I only found relief when wearing crocs . I had to wear shoes from the time my feet hit the floor. Lots of stretching and rest. Shoes at all times. It took about 2-3 months for mine to go away.

I run a lot and also had to wear a boot after two half marathons back to back. It was awful. SurpriseGymMom and sce have good advice about stretching the calves and using a frozen water bottle and/or golf balls. Don't forget to stretch the hamstrings too. My issues with the pf were due to both tight hamstrings and not stretching my calves properly. There is also some kind of sock thing you can wear at night that's supposed to help, but I never tried it.

Foam rolling is also great for the calves and hamstrings. Also, don't forget to have her stretch out the IT band. It connects all the way down the leg.

I just dropped $150 buck on Brooks Sneakers for flat feet. I told DS to say goodbye to UA or Durants or whatever those crazy things kids want on their feet! I massage his calves and feet when ever i can....lots of stretching.....
also, i bought him arch supports for bare feet during practice.....seems to be feeling better.

I just dropped $150 buck on Brooks Sneakers for flat feet. I told DS to say goodbye to UA or Durants or whatever those crazy things kids want on their feet! I massage his calves and feet when ever i can....lots of stretching.....
also, i bought him arch supports for bare feet during practice.....seems to be feeling better.
Can you please let me know who makes the specific arch supports that are for bare feet - thanks!

I run a lot and also had to wear a boot after two half marathons back to back. It was awful. SurpriseGymMom and sce have good advice about stretching the calves and using a frozen water bottle and/or golf balls. Don't forget to stretch the hamstrings too. My issues with the pf were due to both tight hamstrings and not stretching my calves properly. There is also some kind of sock thing you can wear at night that's supposed to help, but I never tried it.
How long did you have to wear the boot ? I hate it

Sent from my iPad using ChalkBucket

I bought the mueller arch support available anywhere. It was 9.99 per foot and it has a little foam pad. They did not last long but they still are ok. I am trying Orthosleeve FS6 next. This should last longer for tumbling.....we will see.

As far as the sneakers, I found a special shoe store for 'foot' issues. They do a lot of orthopedic shoes and such. I imagine if you are near a larger town or city, you can find one of these. Brooks from what everyone tells me is the absolute best for bad feet.

Zappos does free returns.

How long did you have to wear the boot ? I hate it

I was supposed to do four weeks but got out of it after 3 weeks. I opted not to do the shot. I was wearing horrible running shoes, and they definitely contributed. Ironically, they were highly recommended for PF, but it was the wrong shoe for my foot and body size. Once my foot healed, I switched to Nike lunar glide, do my stretches often, and I've had no issues. So you can get rid of it!

^^ I bought pair after pair of brooks, and my feet kept getting worse, not better. I think it was too much stability and like running with feet encased in concrete, so switching shoes finally helped. I had heard the same thing though about brooks being the best shoe for PF

I was supposed to do four weeks but got out of it after 3 weeks. I opted not to do the shot. I was wearing horrible running shoes, and they definitely contributed. Ironically, they were highly recommended for PF, but it was the wrong shoe for my foot and body size. Once my foot healed, I switched to Nike lunar glide, do my stretches often, and I've had no issues. So you can get rid of it!

^^ I bought pair after pair of brooks, and my feet kept getting worse, not better. I think it was too much stability and like running with feet encased in concrete, so switching shoes finally helped. I had heard the same thing though about brooks being the best shoe for PF
I think the shot has made it worse !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back