Parents Please advise: a very long struggle for a kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Coachp- the kip where I have a slight disconnect with the coaching perspective......obviously form is extremely important. But a skill like the kip, which is taught young, is a very difficult skill conceptually. This is where I think success vs. form is more important. There is no such thing as a correct FIRST kip......A correct good kip can take several months to a year to clean up which is why it is an 'option' in L3. No one uses it here unless it's clean. By L4 it better be clean.
My point is, sometimes success on a skill can be just as valuable for the motivation of the kid to continue to learn and improve. OP Child must be so discouraged and hopeless, much like my DD was. She could not have success learning the kip because her coach was ahead of her, pushing body position and arms....she just wanted to get over...

And don't get be started on bent elbows....which is something we will see a lot of at the Olympics....
Depends on the coach, personally I teach it with straight arms. I have 6 year olds doing them... I will say that slight bend can be competed and fixed. but what I saw on the video was zero attempt at straight arms. Just saying it was horrible and damaging. I like winning bars over immediate gratification.

I hear what you are saying, but sometime you have to ditch the form to give the give hope they can do it.
This video is not what I'm talking about.....that is something very different.
I'm positive OP daughter can get over the bar if given a pass on form temporarily.....
At new gym, they let the littles sport each other on kips.....obviously, coach does zillions of drills and spots, but there is a station where the girls are at it alone.....they laugh, have fun and this is where they do there ugly stuff......but they get up one way or another......a few months later, they look better than ever.....

I hear what you are saying, but sometime you have to ditch the form to give the give hope they can do it.
This video is not what I'm talking about.....that is something very different.
I'm positive OP daughter can get over the bar if given a pass on form temporarily.....
At new gym, they let the littles sport each other on kips.....obviously, coach does zillions of drills and spots, but there is a station where the girls are at it alone.....they laugh, have fun and this is where they do there ugly stuff......but they get up one way or another......a few months later, they look better than ever.....
That is what separates bar coaches Munchkin, not the kids. Brag alert.... Here is one of my kids Hannah (7 in the video) she is super cute and pretty good at bars. :)

she's a cutie and a little rockstar! that's level 4 though isn't it? (not 5 like title of video says, right?)

never mind, just noticed the year. didnt realize that music and same routines were used then.

Coachp, unrelated, my DD went from perfect Giants with coach providing magnetic proximity power......to arching Giants with coach no longer there.......what do you think?
I'll pm you

Coachp, unrelated, my DD went from perfect Giants with coach providing magnetic proximity power......to arching Giants with coach no longer there.......what do you think?
Pretty normal, just needs to be spotted more and strap bar. The coach needs to reinforce the change.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back