Coaches Please help me fix this bail!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Level 9 Delaney catches her bail cockeyed!! Is it her core that's weak or is there a technique issue. Thanks in advance View this links
Back vie of bail -

Side view-

-Mary

Based on my experience of coaching bails. I would say it is a weakness in her core (or simply not fully engaging her core), as it appears that as she clears low bar she is loosing tension causing separated legs and an off balance HS on LB x

multiple corrections to be made. First hands are too wide. Get her to swing with them a little closer and then a little more.
Second, the kill action isn't really there, I would like to see more of a hip angle on the way down, then hips flatten right at the bottom and then scope with turn.

I teach the kill pretty extensively,
Here is chloe, she comes down a little open in the shoulders but it works for her, I like a little more of a shoulder angle for most kids, but notice the hip angle and how the body almost flattens out at the very bottom (I would like to see her totally flatten out but again, this works for her so I didn't change it).

Now watch Ellie, she actually does a really good Flat 1, so you will see her create a shoulder angle on the way down, then a hip angle. She then hits flat hips on the bottom into her bail So two slightly different bails that work for each kid, but both have more of hip angle on the way down than the gymnast in the OP's post.

Think and say out loud, ONE TWO (SHOULDER HIPS).

From what I can see, she may be using just her shoulders to get the turn. Have her turn through her toes instead. We always would to the 1,2,3 go with tap swings when learning them with the gymnast turning her feet on each number. It looks like her bottom half isn't turning at the same speed as the top. It seems a lot of issues I've seen in gymnastics can be fixed by thinking about the toes :). For some reason, the entire bottom half of the body gets better when thinking about your feet. :) .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back