WAG Please, Please, Please help with daughters back handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amandaf91

Proud Parent
Can someone please take a look at my daughter Alexis doing a back handspring and give me any advice you can give. Here's a video.

She currently takes tumbling classes, takes private tumbling lessons, and does competitive cheer. She self taught herself a back handspring two years ago and we haven't been able to fix it since. They way she is doing it is so ingrained into her head neither I or her coaches have been to get her to fix it.

She can do handstands, walking handstands (just a few steps), bridges, back walkovers, and front walkers. We've done countless drills for the back handsprings and she can do the drills very well individually but when she puts it together it ends up looking like the video.

She's at the point where she's ready to give up and breaks down in tears after everytime she practices it because she knows its not right and she can't make herself fix it.

Please let me know if you have advice for her or some magic you can offer. I would truly and greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much for your time.

Hi. No, I am not a coach and I didn't mean to identify as one. I misunderstood the profile setup. I'm just a mom trying to help my daughter with her tumbling skills. Not sure why the video isn't working for you. Here's another link. If you have a chance to look let me know if there's still an issue. Thanks. :)

I am going to move your thread, this forum is for coaches. Then I will edit your profile to remove the "coach" tag.

Moreover asking us to give you tips is not really ideal, you are not a coach and coaching problem skills at home just leads to more problems. In fact home coaching/learning is usually why kids end up with bad habits that cannot be broken.

Tell her that she is not allowed to do back handsprings unless she is with her tumbling coach. None at home, none before practice starts while waiting for the coach to start class, none in PE class or at recess, etc, etc. The only place she is allowed to do them is in the gym WITH her coach. That’s the only thing that is going to fix this problem.

Tell her that she is not allowed to do back handsprings unless she is with her tumbling coach. None at home, none before practice starts while waiting for the coach to start class, none in PE class or at recess, etc, etc. The only place she is allowed to do them is in the gym WITH her coach. That’s the only thing that is going to fix this problem.
And it will! If she is only doing them there, she won't get any bad muscle memory issues that take for-evvvver to resolve.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back