Off Topic Pokemon Go

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just signed my son up to play on my phone...

I may or may not have caught some Pokemon on my own. ;)

It's so far been a great way to keep my DS active - he LOVES video games, so it's nice to see him running around more outdoors when not at practice! (I also make him set the timer for 15-20 minute increments for safety, so it's fun to see him sprint home to make it here on time.)

I think it's mind-boggling just how much this game has changed the world over night.

People who normally spend all their free time sitting at home alone are now spending it out walking around exploring and talking to people. Public places that are usually empty are suddenly packed. Last night almost my entire T&T team was talking about Pokemon for pretty much the entire practice; and half their parents were talking about it afterwards as well. At National Congress this past weekend, at least half the coaches were spending their between-session time walking around catching pokemon and battling for control of the convention center gym (which seemed to change hands about every minute or so).

It's unreal

My YDD- who would be into it- is out of luck. No phone. My ODD thinks it's.. Interesting. Ha! I guess my whole family is out of the loop on this one.

Reactions: sce
I think it's mind-boggling just how much this game has changed the world over night.

People who normally spend all their free time sitting at home alone are now spending it out walking around exploring and talking to people. Public places that are usually empty are suddenly packed. Last night almost my entire T&T team was talking about Pokemon for pretty much the entire practice; and half their parents were talking about it afterwards as well. At National Congress this past weekend, at least half the coaches were spending their between-session time walking around catching pokemon and battling for control of the convention center gym (which seemed to change hands about every minute or so).

It's unreal

my oldest son has an autism spectrum disorder (very high) and depression and social anxiety. He has been outside during the day looking for pokemon. He asks to go places to look for them. He and his brother are playing together and laughing etc. it has been amazing!! He is non-active....totally, and actually went for an hour walk last night. We are really loving it.

It's unreal

I have to say, that's all kinda awesome.

I was a little nervous to let my DS play given some of the recent negative publicity, but I'm glad I did. He's having a blast just in the neighborhood - can't wait to take it out more where he can really interact.

DD is in the fence about trying it... And so far each of her attempts to sign up have been for nothing - the Web site is so busy it's hard to even join!

@MILgymFAM - My DS is only 9 and has no phone, so I caved and let him use my phone for it. I worry I'll never get it back. ;) I imagine he's got new leverage in his quest for a phone of his own!

@skschlag - that's amazing. So happy for him (and you) :) Thanks for sharing.

@MILgymFAM - My DS is only 9 and has no phone, so I caved and let him use my phone for it. I worry I'll never get it back. ;) I imagine he's got new leverage in his quest for a phone of his own!

My DD *has* a phone- it's just not capable of anything other than calls and texts. The only reason ODD has an iPhone is it was a gift. It's always been ok that we couldn't afford gadgets because I raised them without any video games at all. Now that she's 12, I can see that something like this would help YDD socialize (it's hard for her), but such is life!

My gymmie started playing in San Jose this weekend. Now she's at a college camp, where I saw lots of people walking around playing when I dropped her off.

Son volunteered to walk home from work yesterday so he could catch some. His friend told me they stayed out till 2am last week. Yikes!!

They are turning 16 next week.

My 3 kids have been playing and it has helped them get along! They share one phone, so have been using it at a hotspot and then they all 3 use their tablets to play, so they have to stick together. :)

Does anyone know how it took off like it did? I remember seeing a friend mention something about it on Thursday. I went out of town Saturday and Sunday with no phone or internet access. Got back in town Sunday evening and it was everywhere!

My girls are on vacation at their grandparents. Does anyone know if it's available for android? They will beg for it for their tablet.

TEAM MYSTIC FOR LIFE!

I went to the park a block away from my house, which is normally empty. It had at least 30 people. Every now and then, somebody would yell "there's a primeape over here!" or "lots of pikachus over here" and the crowd would converge, and chat, and have a blast.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this game is good for humanity, and I think our society will see significant measurable benefits from it.

..... I'm thoroughly annoyed, though, that I couldn't catch that primeape. I mean, sure, I catch enough mankeys to evolve one of them, but how often do you see a wild primeape?

Me! But it only (officially) came out yesterday and it seems like there's nothing but Pidgies around the neighborhood. So I was a little annoyed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back