MAG Pommel Routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Well this overall conversation I feel didn't get to the point. The PH wasn't bad I saw 2 minor and 1 major mistake on mushroom and the only problem for PH really his knees hit a few time causing a lack of routine flow. But I doubt the judge did anything for that because it wasnt bad.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't your main concern about what's going on maybe in his head.
New gym?
He's got a lot he's trying to prove most likely and to show he is good enough.
Most of the time this is a mind over matter and is an adjustment period.
If your son is getting bullied then that is a normal boy confrontation that can help your son grow however if it gets out of hand then something needs to be done.

Take care.

D knows the difference but to me it is all the same. He said one goes in front, and one goes behind. THat is probably a poor explanation but makes sense to him.

My son says this is right. One hand in front of the other, and then one hand behind the other. No idea what he means. Heh.

Reactions: sce
Hi Again!
In the second video he does a better routine. The first turn is cheated a little. His right hand shouldn't move fwd quite that much before the left moves over. (that is what makes the moore look like a stockli in the 1st video). For your son the moore is 1/4 out on the right hand and 1/4 back on the left. The stockli is the opposite 1/4 out on the left and 1/4 back on the right. At the 1/4 point in the moore the gymnast is belly down to the MR. In the stockli he is rear down.
The rest flows pretty well - just a little wiggle after the russian. But I have to be honest - that is not an 11.3 routine. His start value is 11.5, ( no V and no Stick) and he has by my count about .8 off. I would score it at an 10.7. At most meets that would easily be a top 3 score. I'd be ecstatic if my 6's swung like that! One thing that might help is to tell him to have his hands closer together during two turns. The moore and stockli will eventually be done on a pommel where his hands will be next to one another.
Just keep swinging - he will be a good horse worker in the future - remember this is all beginning stuff. I gets vastly different after L8. :)

Hi Again!
In the second video he does a better routine. The first turn is cheated a little. His right hand shouldn't move fwd quite that much before the left moves over. (that is what makes the moore look like a stockli in the 1st video). For your son the moore is 1/4 out on the right hand and 1/4 back on the left. The stockli is the opposite 1/4 out on the left and 1/4 back on the right. At the 1/4 point in the moore the gymnast is belly down to the MR. In the stockli he is rear down.
The rest flows pretty well - just a little wiggle after the russian. But I have to be honest - that is not an 11.3 routine. His start value is 11.5, ( no V and no Stick) and he has by my count about .8 off. I would score it at an 10.7. At most meets that would easily be a top 3 score. I'd be ecstatic if my 6's swung like that! One thing that might help is to tell him to have his hands closer together during two turns. The moore and stockli will eventually be done on a pommel where his hands will be next to one another.
Just keep swinging - he will be a good horse worker in the future - remember this is all beginning stuff. I gets vastly different after L8. :)

What is a V? The second video was his first meet of the season, and the 1st video should have been an improved routine (but he was definitely rattled).

If your son is getting bullied then that is a normal boy confrontation that can help your son grow however if it gets out of hand then something needs to be done.

Take care.
Sounds like it's already out of hand. Normal boy confrontations and bullying are not the same. What this Mom describes is bullying.

upload_2015-2-4_15-44-49.png

I don't know if the image will paste - but this is from the USAG routine book. V is for the vituosity tenths which the judge may award, 3 at .1 are specified (perfect circles at the beginning, a perfect Moore, and perfect flairs) and .2 is at his discretion. When I'm judging - if it makes my say "wow", then its virtuous. It doesn't happen very often, but as they say, "you'll know it when you see it..."

View attachment 5328
I don't know if the image will paste - but this is from the USAG routine book. V is for the vituosity tenths which the judge may award, 3 at .1 are specified (perfect circles at the beginning, a perfect Moore, and perfect flairs) and .2 is at his discretion. When I'm judging - if it makes my say "wow", then its virtuous. It doesn't happen very often, but as they say, "you'll know it when you see it..."
I jsut checked and all .5 are specified, as the others are .1 for 90* leg separation on false scissor (it can be given on each one.) This helps me understand where my ds may have gotten .1 on his SV at a meet. He has no bonuses and did stick both parts and there was one more .1 It was most likely on the false scissors. His mushroom was rough that day, so it was not from that.

My son is such a numbers kid, this helped a lot. Thank you!

You're right SCE! I forgot about the scissors. I'll send in a score adjustment. +.2 on the scissors. 10.9 final. I'm not one of those mean judges. I'll listen as long as the coach talks nicely :D

But I have to be honest - that is not an 11.3 routine. His start value is 11.5, ( no V and no Stick) and he has by my count about .8 off. I would score it at an 10.7. :)

OK, my son says, regarding the scoring on the second video, why no stick bonuses? He stuck the PH, but did the tiniest slide off the MR. Slick mats and socks are a big bummer for sliding.

OK, my son says, regarding the scoring on the second video, why no stick bonuses? He stuck the PH, but did the tiniest slide off the MR. Slick mats and socks are a big bummer for sliding.
The stick bonus is .1 on each part. So he may have gotten it on the pommel part but the slight slip is enough to not get it on the mushroom section.

Regarding the other boy, I think it's time for an in-person talk first with their coach and then with that boy's gym parent(s).

GymBoyzMom, Sorry for the delayed reply - my internet got zapped by the snow, but I'm up and running again now. He did stick, in that he didn't move his feet, on the PH dismount. However there was no "stand and present" after the landing. Some judges wouldn't notice, some will take a ded, and some won't. The req is to present before and after the routine. This is kind of a grey area, being that it's in-between two apparatus'. For me it is just like a landing on FX, I don't need a salute, but the gymnast should stand and tall and finish the landing. For that reason I would not have awarded the stick (but no additional ded.) In addition I would probably have told the coach to make sure that didn't happen again. This is exactly the type of deduction I don't want to take at a qualifying meet.

The coach told him that from pommel to mushroom, you don't present. It signals the end of your routine. He was taught to walk to the mushroom and either raise one arm or nod to the judge to finish the routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back