Poor Russia more injuries... anyone think Mustafina is completely overrated?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmummy

Proud Parent
Poor Russia coach Rodienienko said paeseka is injured & may be unable to complete they have no other vaulter to replace her.... Melnikova has a hamstring injury & is going to have to do watered down routines.

Love Daria Spiridonova & can't wait to see her on bars think she is a real classic Russian gymnast like Melnikova.

I never understood the fuss about Mustafina, even back in 2012, think her gymnastics then & now looks laboured & she looks so unhappy like she has the weight of thr world on her shoulders...

What has happened Russian, Romanian & Ukrainian gymnastics? The gymnasts look so unfit & unconditioned... is it funding problems, coaching problems are the coaches leaving to coach elsewhere? They used be like the US & have so much depth & could have sent their ,second or third team & still have ended up on the podium... still hard to believe Romania didn't qualify a team....

I have seen Mustafina compete many times over the years. She is an incredible gymnast who has been through many trials and tribulations. I always feel there is a general negativity towards her from American fans but there shouldn't be. She has been the top gymnast for her country for a very long time. She always comes through for them when needed. She competes heart and soul for her country, despite every setback thrown at her. What is not to love?

And your sentence 'think her gymnastics then & now looks laboured & she looks so unhappy like she has the weight of thr world on her shoulders...' is similar to observations thrown at Gabby no? She is there doing her job to the best of her abilities. She is definitely not overrated.

Apart from the Brits there are only a handful of gymnasts at Rio I would stay up all night to see and she is one of them.

American have a problem with not smiling and 'looking' serious.......my Russian friend has always said, Russians don't smile as much......Americans smile for everything.....
Don't read into the 'looks'.....mustafina is very respected and an amazing athlete. I know I have criticized gabby for her RBF, but she has never been one of my favorite athletes....I think it started when she took Jordyn's spot in 2012....
Through all the Olympics I have watched, NBC, and whichever other network has always painted the Russians to be some dark and mean force of girls coming to squash the Americans......the truth is most of those girls are exactly like any other girl, they have sacrificed their entire lives to compete at the Olympics.
Mustafina has probably had the weight of her whole country on her shoulders to be the best......and I'm pretty sure those athletes are not having as much 'fun' and the Americans...........something is definitely wrong with their system and I'm sure all the Russian, Romanian, Ukrainian, teams are devastated! Can you imagine if our system goes to crap after Marta leaves? And no one can figure out why?

And Romania! Isn't it crazy to think the olympics Marta retires with, is the same one her country failed to qualify for for the first time ever????

I was freaking out too with the ban......I LOVE Russian gymnastics, and mustafina looks like my niece. [emoji173]️

coach Rodienienko

think her gymnastics then & now looks laboured & she looks so unhappy like she has the weight of thr world on her shoulders...

What has happened Russian, Romanian & Ukrainian gymnastics? The gymnasts look so unfit & unconditioned... is it funding problems, coaching problems are the coaches leaving to coach elsewhere? They used be like the US & have so much depth & could have sent their ,second or third team & still have ended up on the podium... still hard to believe Romania didn't qualify a team....

The name at the top is what is wrong with Russian gymnastics...Mustafina got publicly blamed after one worlds where she was pushed to compete not looking 100% and managed to hold the entire team together and actually provide some results. Mustafina is a master competitor, she can go from looking like rubbish and an injury waiting to happen in podium training to a medal threat in competition. There are certainly aspects of her gymnastics that are highly over-rated and as time has gone she is not as sharp as the gymnast she once was, but some fans love her and can't or won't see that Mustafina is a different gymnast now.

Or perhaps they are just struggling without the Meldonium as others forums joke :)

I've always enjoyed watching the Russians and Romanians. They are such graceful gymnasts, and Mustafina is certainly that. I always look foward to watching her though I have to admit her tumbling is not as strong as her American counterparts. Nonetheless, I still think she embodies "artistic" gymnastics; then again I am a dancer and appreciate this aspect of the sport more than the average spectator.

I'm a huge fan of the Russians too, really like Spiridonova & Melnikova, I was a huge fan of Komova just think ko Mustafina is slightly overrated.
Will hugely miss the Romanians, as Munchkin 3 said it's crazy to think that in Martha's last Olympics the gym nation she helped create failed to qualify. However I am looking forward to seeing Poor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back