Possibilities for college gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd is 14 going into freshmen year next year. Her coaches have told her she will compete level 10 (first year) as a freshman. I know of 12 year olds in level 10 so I'm wondering if this lowers her chances at a gymnastics scholarship... It's her dream but I'm wondering if it's a realistic goal...

Thanks for any help

4 years of level 10 is great for someone who wants to do college gymnastics.

Colleges in my area do not wait until the end of your Senior year to recruit. I know girls that sign after their 10th grade year. So, she would need to be a great level 10 after 2 meet seasons. There may be other colleges that are different- not sure. I'm referring to the SEC colleges.

Colleges in my area do not wait until the end of your Senior year to recruit. I know girls that sign after their 10th grade year. So, she would need to be a great level 10 after 2 meet seasons. There may be other colleges that are different- not sure. I'm referring to the SEC colleges.

I think college coaches can look at talent ans see what the potential will bring in 2 years time, particularly if a gymnast has been consistently strong in the optional levels and/or in 1-2 particular events where the team might need help. I think it also depends on the college (top 10 D1 vs. lower in the standings). But ALgymmom is correct in that the majority of scholarship gymnasts have committed by the start of their junior year, which really is a shame since I don't know many rising juniors who really know where they want to go to college (unless they have a particular loyalty to a home school or parent's old school)...

All depends on which school and what they are ranked and their coaching/recruiting staff.

What BlairBob said. I did L 10 when I was 11, 12 and 13 but then took a few years off before competing again my senior year and then was able to join a DI team. However it definitely wasn't a full ride to an SEC school or even Utah or UCLA :p

Freshman at level 10 definitely keeps her in the running for a gym scholarship. It will depend on the skills she has and how well she competes them. Tape them and post to youtube then send to any college she is interested in get the dialog started. Coaches can't communicate with her but they will be viewing her videos. Congratulations to your dd for getting to L10 it's a great accomplishment and good luck in the recruiting process.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back