Parents Possible move to Fort Worth

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

4schnoodle

Proud Parent
My family will most likely be moving to the Fort Worth area over the summer. My DD is currently a VERY hard working, middle of the road, level 6 gymnast in a lower scoring state. She has never been a big podium placer (due to a very naturally arched back and lack of attention to details); however, she loves the sport and very much identifies herself as a gymnast first. To make things more difficult, she is an “older” gymnast (14). Because this move will be very difficult on my teenager already, I would hate to have her loose the love of her life (gymnastics) due to the VERY competitive nature of Texas. I am open to XCEL (although she’s not ready to give up on JO yet). Can anyone recommend any gyms in the Fort Worth area that might be a good fit for my girl? Figured I’d ask here before I just started calling a bunch of places. Thanks in advance.

What part of ft worth and how far are you willing to drive?

We just left Empire (look for my thread Bittersweet Day for the story) so I would not recommend them. But there are several gyms in Tarrant County that might work, depending on the commute and school schedule, etc.

Look up a map and check the distance for Sokol, US Gold, Top Flight, Southlake Gymnastics, Kramer's Workd of Gymnastics. I'm in Dallas, so I know east Tarrant County much better.

In addition to those I have heard good things about Classic Gymnastics. Also in Texas you also have the TAAF option. In TAAF your DD would still do the same routines and a USAG gymnasts however it’s less intense. Instead of competing by age you compete against other girls who score in a similar range. Lots of gyms have TAAF teams. Good luck!

Ooooh thanks for all the suggestions . I know nothing about TAAF so I will definitely look into that. We are anticipating moving somewhere in the Lewisville area which is Northeast of Fort Worth. As far as commute goes... I would say about 45 minutes (since we will have no immediate family in the area to help with my other non-gymmies and I try to limit their car time when possible.

Lewisville is north of Dallas. From there, you have easy access to all of the north Texas Dallas gyms. I would not recommend WOGA for your daughter, but try Texas Dreams in Coppell. They have a program for anyone who loves gymnastics and wants to train and compete, whether you are a 34 gymnast or a 38+ gymnast.

You will also be close to Kurt Thomas, Denton Gymnastics Academy, Acheivers, Win Kids. We've competed against all of these gyms. KT is a high scoring sweep the podium kind of gym. gym. Win Kids and Acheivers have strong gymnasts, but they also have middle of the podium kids who do just fine and stick with the program year after year.

Almost non-related, a bonus for Fort Worth is that next spring (2019) the NCAA championships will be back there :)
Since she will be in high school, that might be something for her to look forward to!

We are in North Ft. Worth and my DD was at US Gold until she had to retire. There are several girls that live in the Flower Mound/Lewisville area, so there may be carpooling available. My DD was an older and taller gymnast, so I know they don't just train the small/young ones. Whatever you do stay away from American Gymnastic Academy. They do Xcel, but the coach did serious damage to my daughter's mental health.

My son spent the day at Lewisville Harmon High School today for water polo camp. It was less than ten minutes from Texas Dreams.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back