WAG Possibly joining team-question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello again!
i was on here quite a bit last summer but haven't been much since, but I think I may be more again:)!

quick backstory- my girls (twins) are 5 and last year at 4 the gym they were going to wanted them to join the team. They had done very little gymnastics but between the 2 of them could do great round off, one armed cartwheel, one armed roundoff, pullover, etc....and pretty much all but pullovers they learned outside of class by friends etc! well they went for a little while but I wasn't ready for 3 nights a week at such a young age, so they put them in an advanced class. However when we were in Montana for the summer they were doing much higher skills (starting backhand springs etc) so I honestly think they got bored with the gym back home....they would complain about going so we stopped.
Well we came back out to Montana this summer and they really wanted to go again. So I let them...they haven't taken gym for about 6 months now, but within just a few weeks here are just about doing roundoff into a backhand spring on the floor and they just did something (I am NOT a very knowledgable gym MoM;) either a back hip circle or a front hip circle. Also pullovers with ease. Also now are doing handstands into a bridge and kicking back over...sorry for the long explanation but I want to paint a clear picture:) I also don't want them getting bored again because when they are being challenged it seems they love it!
They are having them work out with the team here and Wednesday they went from 4-7:30 and can't wait to go back! Soooo needless to say I am looking into a new gym when we get back home....my questions are the following and again sorry I know very little about gymnastics:)?
If they join team do they compete by level, by age and level, or by age?
What level are the skills they are doing?
considering how little gymnastics they have taken is it normal to do these skills already?
Thanks so very much!!!! :)

kids that age are just supposed to have fun. if they get bored, they get bored. parents are to explain to their kids that life is not Great America and Disney every day. it's just not reality. when they say they're bored, tell them to just get in the car so that "you can go have some boring fun". that'll give them something to figure out till the next time they go. lol. capiche? they're kids and their 5. who cares if they're bored?

kids that age are just supposed to have fun. if they get bored, they get bored. parents are to explain to their kids that life is not Great America and Disney every day. it's just not reality. when they say they're bored, tell them to just get in the car so that "you can go have some boring fun". that'll give them something to figure out till the next time they go. lol. capiche? they're kids and their 5. who cares if they're bored?

Thanks for clarifying....I just think at 5 you are right and they should have fun...so if they complain every week about going to do something that isn't exactly a cheap activity I didn't see the point in continuing at that age....I make them finish what they start if they join a team whether they are bored or not, but at that point they hadn't joined a team. Now however they seem to love it again and I am happy to support and encourage them in this. Do you have answers to the other questions posted above because if I am remembering correctly you were very knowledgeable ;) I do like the go have boring fun though, might have to try that if it comes up again;) and I don't think they actually ever said they were bored, but rather they didn't want to go....I assumed boredom was the cause:)

they are back and forth at that age. i agree, i wish we could be cheaper. but it still doesn't matter. that age child is like a tennis ball in a volley from week to week. at least for gymnastics, and because of the redundant and repetitive nature of what must be done to progress, they don't want to go or are bored all the time. if they're good, just tell them to shut up and get in the car. "you not the boss". you know, kinda how they say to us when they're little..."you not the boss of me". remember that? lol.

if you tell them all they had to do was trampoline, well...you understand. :)

they are back and forth at that age. i agree, i wish we could be cheaper. but it still doesn't matter. that age child is like a tennis ball in a volley from week to week. at least for gymnastics, and because of the redundant and repetitive nature of what must be done to progress, they don't want to go or are bored all the time. if they're good, just tell them to shut up and get in the car. "you not the boss". you know, kinda how they say to us when they're little..."you not the boss of me". remember that? lol.

if you tell them all they had to do was trampoline, well...you understand. :)

thanks for that..good points....and from what I can tell they seem to be really quick learners...are those skills I mentioned above usually picked up that quickly at 5? It seems kind of crazy to me, but again I am not around gymnastics much! Is competition based on level or age or both? Trying to find answers on google is driving me about mad!

Competition is based on level. Within each level, gymnasts are further divided into smaller groups based on age.

Most gyms in the US start competition at level 3. All the level 3s might compete at the same time, but children are divided into age groups for awards.

It sounds like your daughters are working on their level 3 skills. You have to be 6 years of age to compete level 3 in USA gymnastics.

You hear all sorts of stories about wunderkind, but from my professional experience, what you are describing is beyond the average level of children their age.

It sounds like your daughters are working on their level 3 skills. You have to be 6 years of age to compete level 3 in USA gymnastics.

You hear all sorts of stories about wunderkind, but from my professional experience, what you are describing is beyond the average level of children their age.

Thanks so much! I was hoping that was the case and they wouldn't be competing against 8 year olds for the same awards:) I appreciate your perspective, the coaches out here in Montana seem to think they are very talented but it is such a small area I wanted outside opinions:) I would think learning roundoff backhandsprings that quickly is odd for 5 but again don't know much...I played volleyball in college haha!

no matter how good they might be, they are still too young to compete. train yes. compete no.

They will be 6 soon and I do believe they have competitions for level 3, possibly even level 2. Lots of gyms where we live:)! So they could compete level 2 or 3 at 6....but not level 4?

Maybe, if the gym has xcel, they could start there. I think the ages for xcel divisions are a little lower.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

the minimum age for level 2 would be 5, I would think, since that was the age for old level 3...that is, if you really want them competing now.

Yes, there are age MINIMUMs for the lower levels.

It sounds like you're really excited for your girls, as they sound like they've got some talent. However, it takes more than just a couple of skills to join a team. From what I understand, you are going back home to find a gym? The best thing is to have them do an evaluation and see where they think the girls should be placed.
Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back