WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tomtnt

Proud Parent
alright coaches; have you heard from your state/regional chairs regarding possibility of state/regional/nationals being cancelled due to the continued coronavirus outbreak? especially troublesome given:

Norcal State: california bay area
Region 1 Regionals: california bay area
Westerns: Sacramento area
Nationals: Tacoma Washington

These locations all potential coronavirus outbreak hotspots.

Lol? Really

I think the bigger issue could be individually. Gyms could be closed for 2 weeks should someone be exposed. Or, if someone in your family gets it, and you have to be quarantined for 2 weeks (you meaning the family). I think that is more of a worry for me, at this point. I hope that the post season meets could have some grace should this happen to gymnasts, and allow petitions, but only time will tell.

There is already some big sports event in the Northwest that was affected. I do worry a bit that regionals (our only post season meet) will be cancelled, but I also kind of expect that by then the virus will be so widespread that there's no point in trying to control anything. Luckily my airfare and hotel are both fully refundable. o_O

Just on the numbers, of people who get the virus, 10x as many people need hospitalization, and 10x as many die, as those who get the regular flu. And the ones who need hospitalization are taking a long time to get well. So the issue is that if it sweeps across the country, it could overwhelm the hospital system like it has in other places. No one seems to think they can actually stop the spread of the virus, but there is hope to slow it to spread out the influx to the hospitals.

But we also all know, that sometimes that powers that be make decisions that aren't totally based on logic. Especially if there's public pressure to do something. I have no doubt that certain heads of city or state could decide to cancel large gatherings at any time.

Just on the numbers, of people who get the virus, 10x as many people need hospitalization, and 10x as many die, as those who get the regular flu. And the ones who need hospitalization are taking a long time to get well. So the issue is that if it sweeps across the country, it could overwhelm the hospital system like it has in other places. No one seems to think they can actually stop the spread of the virus, but there is hope to slow it to spread out the influx to the hospitals.

But we also all know, that sometimes that powers that be make decisions that aren't totally based on logic. Especially if there's public pressure to do something. I have no doubt that certain heads of city or state could decide to cancel large gatherings at any time.
As the denominator increases the mortality and complication rate will go down.

The initial outbreak looks worse because the folks who weren’t severely sick, were not known/tested.

I have no doubt the number of folks positive for the virus is much higher. When a new strain presents it is discovered in the very sick. The mild cases are just not on ant ones radar. It’s just considered the usual seasonal flu/colds....

Now that they can test, they will find more positives.

So US as an example. 11 deaths which are all older and with underlying health conditions, 149 positive cases. Mortality 8.5%, double the positives mortality goes down to 4.2%. Increase the positives 10 fold, mortality is .0.85 %.....

Flu stats (Not COVID 19) https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

Also interesting world wide flu map

map.https://www.who.int/influenza/surveillance_monitoring/updates/latest_update_GIP_surveillance/en/

and COVID 19 map

You can’t live in fear. The amount of cases is small and deaths are no more than any other respiratory virus.

Attachments

• F74716E3-9A7B-43D5-87D0-53178DEF74A7.jpeg
    F74716E3-9A7B-43D5-87D0-53178DEF74A7.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 30
I've been following this from reputable news sources since the beginning. You're not going to be able to "educate" me on the topic, especially when you're contradicting the WHO.

The stats really speak for themselves. I'm not worried at all (knock on wood) for my family, but the grandparents with age+health risk factors does concern me.

I'm somewhere in between the spectrum of not worried at all and running off to costco to buy 1 year supply of toilet paper.

Agreed that the fatality rate is currently overestimated due to only testing the sickest patients. True fatality rate is likely what south korea is reporting between 0.2-0.4%.

Agreed that the media is raising the frenzy level by reporting every local outbreaks and every coronavirus death (which is drop in the bucket compared to flu death)..

However, unlike the flu where we have approximately 1/2 the population is vaccinated and where there's immunity developed over time, this is a completely new virus and has the potential to overwhelm the healthcare system. add to that, potential for government and healthcare official to overreact and issue directives for social distancing etc. so it doesn't matter if you personally don't feel like this is a big deal, but if the public and public officials do, you can clearly see the potential for disruption of normal life,..

The stats really speak for themselves. I'm not worried at all (knock on wood) for my family, but the grandparents with age+health risk factors does concern me.

This is the issue. The Seattle area has a large Asian population, so for cultural reasons there are higher than typical percentages of households which include both young children AND grandparents. Kids might not be at high risk, but they can be carriers. So in that respect I understand how parents in WA may feel that sending their kids to school or other public places is irresponsible and risky, because if they bring it home they’re endangering older household members. Hence all the cancelations in that area. (Plus no matter how similar the risks may be to influenza, this is new - and any unknown is accompanied by a level of fear.) I won’t be surprised if nationals is at least modified in some ways.

A number of large companies have already restricted international and domestic business travel and ordered employees who have traveled to locations where the virus is circulating to work from home. On all of the projects I direct, we are defining the virus as a project risk and making contingency plans so we aren’t caught flat-footed if my employer, a client, or the government imposes travel restrictions or issues a work-from-home directive. If I were in charge of a post-season meet, I would absolutely be gaming out scenarios right now. If I were planning personal travel, for gymnastics or another reason, I would be looking at cancellation policies and “cancel-for-any reason” travel insurance. I have been burned before just by run-of-the mill illnesses, so I am always trying to mitigate risk.

Thinking the possibilities through ahead of time reduces the chance of a disproportionate or disorganized response.

The Seattle area has a large Asian population, so for cultural reasons there are higher than typical percentages of households which include both young children AND grandparents. Kids might not be at high risk, but they can be carriers.
That is actually a ridiculous statement. Ignorant at best and racist at worst.

A White person who has traveled to Wuhan, China, Iran or Italy is far more likely to have COVID 19 then most of the Asians in Seattle, who may have not been anywhere near Asia in years or even born in Asia.

To be crystal clear, being Asian DOES NOT make you a “carrier” .

My daughter is Chinese. We have actually practiced responses to these kind of ignorant xenophobic statements. I was kinder here.

A number of large companies have already restricted international and domestic business travel and ordered employees who have traveled to locations where the virus is circulating to work from home. On all of the projects I direct, we are defining the virus as a project risk and making contingency plans so we aren’t caught flat-footed if my employer, a client, or the government imposes travel restrictions or issues a work-from-home directive. If I were in charge of a post-season meet, I would absolutely be gaming out scenarios right now. If I were planning personal travel, for gymnastics or another reason, I would be looking at cancellation policies and “cancel-for-any reason” travel insurance. I have been burned before just by run-of-the mill illnesses, so I am always trying to mitigate risk.

Thinking the possibilities through ahead of time reduces the chance of a disproportionate or disorganized response.
That is prudent

I don't think kendo was at all implying that Asians in Seattle have a higher chance of carrying the virus. I read that post to mean that culturally multiple generations tend to live together in the same household (kids, parents, grandparents) which could put the older generation adults at higher risk. Little kids are germ factories, no matter their culture. We have a grandparent living with us and my son had flu-like symptoms last week, so I was hyper alert to keep surfaces clean and keep them both separated for the most part. He recovered in a few days; his elderly grandparent would likely not have been so lucky.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back