WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As of today NYS mandated all gyms (which includes gymnastics facilities) to close as of tonight. Our gym had closed ahead of this yesterday, despite first trying to put contingency plans into place (smaller groups, staggered times, etc.). Our schools on Long Island are closed for 2 weeks at this point, but sure it will go longer than that. NYC schools closed for minimum until 4/20 but there is talk of not even coming back for them this year.
So sad for all of the gymnasts and their coaches, but this is better than some open and some closed. Waiting for USAG to pull the trigger was the hardest part of all, because while there was no word there was still the pressure for some to stay open (and the ensuing inequity).

Personally, as my dd has entered into the pubescent years, she is less inclined to condition on her own and will have to be motivated to do so. Thankfully there are so many resources for this, and her coach will be putting together something as well.

It's time to focus on the bigger picture while keeping our kids strong, physically and mentally

Well, with the CDC recommendations being under 10 people, theoretically you can train as long as your city hasn't shut down gyms.

Yep- the big gym here is still practicing with reduced numbers but much more than 10. They won’t stop until they’re forced....
And this is what frustrates my child. She understands the reasoning and the seriousness or it all, but the inconsistency of everything really pisses her off and drives her crazy. And because we are such a big country, with fifty different states, it appears it is going to be a stagger, unfortunately, unless it becomes a nationwide mandate.

Makes sense that all the JO oriented gyms are closing - how are the elite gymnasts training?
As of yesterday early afternoon Gage was still open per their FB page but that was before the KC metro closed bars, restaurants, theaters etc and went to public gatherings of less than 10. They have Eaker and Wong and several other elites.

Yep- the big gym here is still practicing with reduced numbers but much more than 10. They won’t stop until they’re forced....
yep - that's our gym! I'm keeping mine home anyway. I told that with me and DH both working in inpatient hospital settings (along with over half of the rest of the team who has healthcare employed parents!!) our kids are the likeliest vectors of the virus! And it's my responsibility to keep them home. I actually didn't get any pushback, but I can imagine that the level 8-10 crew would.

yep - that's our gym! I'm keeping mine home anyway. I told that with me and DH both working in inpatient hospital settings (along with over half of the rest of the team who has healthcare employed parents!!) our kids are the likeliest vectors of the virus! And it's my responsibility to keep them home. I actually didn't get any pushback, but I can imagine that the level 8-10 crew would.
I think about 5 of the level 8s-10 stayed home today. Good on you for making the choice to keep yours at home. I understand the complexity of it- speaking about gymnastics in general
and the dynamics in that gym specifically. If mine were still there, I’d like to think I’d be making the responsible decision you did. Good choice mama. When you live where we do surrounded by healthcare workers of major university hospitals, the virus is already surrounding us.

Gotham gymnastics is offering a remote gymnastic “camp” on their instagram, which is a great service.

Looks like they are live streaming from their gym with more than handful of gymnasts and a coach leading. Wonder how they are able to get around New York’s

Almost all of our gyms here are offering daily workouts through Facebook, Insta, ... ever since the state ordered all gym and recreation centers to close. You can even work out with Dominique Moceanu. :)

Here is what shelter in place means in the Bay Area:

"Grocery stores and pharmacies will remain open, and restaurants may stay open to provide takeout food only. Also staying open: veterinary services, gas stations and auto repair shops, hardware and other home supply stores, banks and laundry services. Businesses that remain open are encouraged to keep both employees and customers six feet apart, including while standing in line. But there are no specific limitations on the number of people allowed inside."

All Vets and Dentists have been ordered to emergency services only here to save PPE (face masks, gowns, gloves...) for the hospitals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back