WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@Deleted member 18037 - I'm confused. Someone starts a thread asking a legit question if anyone has knowledge about the post-season meets that are scheduled in areas of the country seeing covid-19 outbreaks. You respond back initially with snarky comments about flu deaths and overblown media coverage. Then you respond later explaining about being 'prudent'. Turns out you have a much more reasonable explanation that doesn't all center around snark and you ARE changing your behaviors in your real life regarding visits to elderly family. It's also impacting your husband's life too. Why come on here and smack down someone for asking a question in the first place?
I think you need to re-read the whole thread. I didn't respond with snark. I responded with facts to the specific statement about the media hype.

I did not in any way say illness should be taken casually and I ventured no opinion on what should or should not be canceled. And I advocated for being prudent quite early on in the thread and multiple times. Seattle is now recommending people over 60 and pregnant women stay home, that is prudent. Shutting down the whole state, would not be.

And regarding my personal prudence regarding the elderly loved ones in my life, again if you read my reply I do the same during all cold and flu seasons. I was canceled a trip to my aunts over thanksgiving as my daughter had recently had a cold. While I was not sick at the time of the visit, I wasn't sure if I would be. That was the prudent thing to do with my aunt who is a heart transplant patient.

My husbands job canceled what is essentially social event and making plans, otherwise its business as usual, that is prudent.

Lol- are you really confused having been on these message boards and seeing her response? The response and tone is par for the course on almost every topic.

@Deleted member 18037 - I'm confused. Someone starts a thread asking a legit question if anyone has knowledge about the post-season meets that are scheduled in areas of the country seeing covid-19 outbreaks. You respond back initially with snarky comments about flu deaths and overblown media coverage. Then you respond later explaining about being 'prudent'. Turns out you have a much more reasonable explanation that doesn't all center around snark and you ARE changing your behaviors in your real life regarding visits to elderly family. It's also impacting your husband's life too. Why come on here and smack down someone for asking a question in the first place?

alright coaches; have you heard from your state/regional chairs regarding possibility of state/regional/nationals being cancelled due to the continued coronavirus outbreak? especially troublesome given:

Norcal State: california bay area
Region 1 Regionals: california bay area
Westerns: Sacramento area
Nationals: Tacoma Washington

These locations all potential coronavirus outbreak hotspots.
Haven't heard any talk of possibility of cancelling yet, but I am sure it will be the topic at meets this weekend. States is in 2 weeks so don't forsee that being affected, all planning is going on as usual. Regionals/Westerns/JO's invovles people from states without outbreaks traveling to states with outbreaks so I can understand people being concerned.

Haven't heard any talk of possibility of cancelling yet, but I am sure it will be the topic at meets this weekend. States is in 2 weeks so don't forsee that being affected, all planning is going on as usual. Regionals/Westerns/JO's invovles people from states without outbreaks traveling to states with outbreaks so I can understand people being concerned.

Totally ancedotal I know, but we were in Tacoma for a big meet just the middle of Feb (after the virus had hit WA but before we knew much about it, if anything.). At that time everyone was doing their "normal" hygiene, not stocking up on hand sanitizer and following standard handwashing (and let's be real, a ton of people do NOT wash their hands like they should). There hasn't been an outbreak amongst the gymnasts or their families. And now that we know, people are being more cautious, not less. I would not be overly concerned. Prudent, not panicked. I like that phrase.

I am being watchful and prepared. My level ten is an asthmatic (thanks to post pneumonia damage from H1n1) and this illness could be potentially devastating for her. She is still young though (13) so on the other hand her age is in her favor. That said, she’s in great physical shape, ocd about hand hygiene and nutrition, and this year her medical team is optimistic she may (fingers crossed) be heading into a remission of sorts. Nonetheless this is a scary disease. When you run the numbers it is not too pretty and my concern remains overload of the health care system. As a RN who has worked for years in inpatient settings I can tell you that staffing and beds during a normal flu season takes years off your life. There is not much wiggle room left for even a hundred more patients needing intensive care. And I live in a major metropolitan area! I can’t even image what it could do in a smaller area with less access to health care. As for the post season issue, if I were USAG I would be making backup plans- just in case this gets ugly.

In outbreak areas, I could see situations where these meets are coach /gymnast only with parents having to drop off/pick up the children, no awards where the gymnasts have to be close together, etc. I am wondering whether the colleges will also restrict spectators out of precaution.

Personally, I am not worried so much about the virus itself as it appears that it is no worse than a bad cold for most relatively healthy folks but I work with many medically involved young children and I am very concerned about passing it on to them without knowing. I am also concerned about the potential disruption. With the present quarantine procedures, a lot of folks could be under consecutive quarantines as new cases develop in their area. eventually, it is going to get to the point where so many contract the virus that quarantines won't matter but until that tipping point, a lot of people will miss a lot of work, many without pay.

Seattle just closed bunch of schools..

“Washington Gov. Jay Inslee encouraged residents and organizations to give “serious consideration” to canceling or postponing large events.”

I was completely unaware of the quarantines, school closings, and stores running out of supplies. Sticking my head back in the sand now...

In outbreak areas, I could see situations where these meets are coach /gymnast only with parents having to drop off/pick up the children, no awards where the gymnasts have to be close together, etc. I am wondering whether the colleges will also restrict spectators out of precaution.

As a parent I would be OK with this, but I wonder if it would actually happen. Don't gyms actually make most of their profit from admisson and concessions/shout outs/t shirts, etc? I wonder if they would rather cancel than lose money on the meet. We all know USAG doesn't have the funds to subsidize all the state/regional meets.

I mean, I *HOPE* everything is normal enough and we don't have to deal with anything like that. But with the rate at which things are being closed and canceled...All our organizations are sending out notices saying they're proceeding carefully but (paraphrasing) they could cancel everything at a moment's notice if that's the recommendation that gets handed down.

Well, now the University of Washington has closed its campus. Idk how to post a link here via my phone. But Good Lord.

I'm hoping at our state meets- which all should be happening over the next few weeks the State Reps for our Region will have some updates and practical responses. I have been following the West Coast closely as we have a business over there- it seems that business owners are looking ahead about 2-3 weeks- no more than that just yet- for cancellations and modifications. I have also been stalking the USAG website a bit to see if there are any updates or any new committee meeting minutes- nothing yet. Fingers crossed there is a Plan B.....if needed.

Also adding more food for thought- the major pull for most 10s for Nationals is recruiting. I have seen lots of college/university notices about travel restrictions. Is our worst case scenario that Nationals do in fact go on-but no recruiters come to watch =(

third of the venue’s capacity through at least April 15 because of the threat of the coronavirus.

So that date is exactly 4 weeks out from Nationals..my guess is after Gymnix and American Cup - USAG will huddle up and take a look at the state of affairs - then announce something either way around Mid March- before states and well before regionals.

third of the venue’s capacity through at least April 15 because of the threat of the coronavirus.

So that date is exactly 4 weeks out from Nationals..my guess is after Gymnix and American Cup - USAG will huddle up and take a look at the state of affairs - then announce something either way around Mid March- before states and well before regionals.

Some state meets are this weekend, and some next weekend. (well, for MAG. I know this is in the WAG forum but really affects all disciplines).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back