WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

May 5-10, 2020 | Daytona Beach, Fla.
Ocean Center • 101 N. Atlantic Ave. • Daytona Beach, Fla. 32118
for MAG

Bike Week is this weekend and is not cancelled- there is a very low normal of confirmed cases here in Florida but it could change- I do not think it will be as impactful here- but I would watch for any closing on Disney or Universal- that will set the tone.

It just hit me that I'm spending tomorrow night camping out inside Space Center Houston with 350 kids. Wheeeee. I mean, even disregarding Coronavirus, both flus and strep are running rampant and my immune system has been crap this winter.

Yikes! My daughter got Flu B this year. She got a rare side effect - acute viral myositis. It almost only affects children who have had flu B. Only 2.6 per 100,000 kids who get Flu B will get it. Once they are on the mend, it suddenly becomes extremely painful to walk - they will have to get/stay up on high toe, or even crawl. It usually lasts about three days and then spontaneously resolves and the medical community has no idea why it happens.

Just sharing. It's weird and I had never even heard of it before.

Yikes! My daughter got Flu B this year. She got a rare side effect - acute viral myositis. It almost only affects children who have had flu B. Only 2.6 per 100,000 kids who get Flu B will get it. Once they are on the mend, it suddenly becomes extremely painful to walk - they will have to get/stay up on high toe, or even crawl. It usually lasts about three days and then spontaneously resolves and the medical community has no idea why it happens.

Just sharing. It's weird and I had never even heard of it before.
This sounds just awful, and it must have scared the crap out of you. My God.:oops:

This is the problem with our current situation. There’s no way to tell if it’s “just the flu” or covid-19, especially if you are in a potential hotspot like the Bay Area... there aren’t enough tests readily available.

clinically, probably doesn’t matter for the person infected but it’s the potential to have it spread through the community and infecting elderly population.

Santa Clara CA (Northern California)

Wife picked daughter up from practice, and she said 60% of the optionals are out with the flu, my daughter has a fever right now of 102.

I live in the part of Australia with the biggest outbreak so far, and my guess is that we are about two weeks away from her gym temporarily shutting down (it is not privately owned so money is not a factor in the decision making).

I am not looking forward to having a kid going from training five times a week to.......nothing! I am much more scared of the disruption this virus is going to cause than I am of the virus itself.

I live in the part of Australia with the biggest outbreak so far, and my guess is that we are about two weeks away from her gym temporarily shutting down (it is not privately owned so money is not a factor in the decision making).

I am not looking forward to having a kid going from training five times a week to.......nothing! I am much more scared of the disruption this virus is going to cause than I am of the virus itself.

Oh dear, I own a gymnastics club in Australia, and we have not had any indication of closures in the near future at this stage (not sure where you are but I am assuming I am in a different State). No schools in my State have been shut at this stage, according to the department of education website.

Have government directives been issued in your area? Or government recommendations? I would love to know of any info, just to be prepared with contingency plans, once one area begins to close businesses, I assume other areas will do the same.

Email from USAG in my inbox this morning.

Dear USA Gymnastics Members,

We understand that many in the gymnastics community are concerned about the health and safety of athletes amid the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak and are seeking USA Gymnastics’ guidance about whether to cancel sanctioned competitions or alter club operations due to coronavirus concerns.

Because coronavirus is a rapidly evolving global health issue that is affecting geographic areas differently, it is challenging to provide a blanket directive that would make sense for all member clubs and meet directors.

Instead, we ask that our community leaders – families, clubs, coaches and meet directors – work together to determine what is in the best interests of your specific communities.

As part of that process, we suggest reviewing the latest CDC guidance, reviewing other school or community closures in your area, and reaching out to your local public health department, to help determine if and when to cancel sanctioned events, alter business operations, or participate in gymnastics activities.

Some resources that may be helpful include:

In the event of a cancellation or postponement, we ask that meet directors notify participants as soon as possible, as well as notify USA Gymnastics by email membership@usagym.org. Or, if a state or regional event requires cancellation, we ask that meet directors also notify their respective program directors to discuss implications and potential rescheduling.

While we know potential cancellations and disruptions are not ideal, the health and well-being of our athletes and members must be our top priority. We appreciate the community coming together to help make these difficult decisions.

USA Gymnastics will provide updates as we receive more information or if new developments occur.

Sincerely,

USA Gymnastics

Email from USAG in my inbox this morning.

Dear USA Gymnastics Members,

We understand that many in the gymnastics community are concerned about the health and safety of athletes amid the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak and are seeking USA Gymnastics’ guidance about whether to cancel sanctioned competitions or alter club operations due to coronavirus concerns.

Because coronavirus is a rapidly evolving global health issue that is affecting geographic areas differently, it is challenging to provide a blanket directive that would make sense for all member clubs and meet directors.

Instead, we ask that our community leaders – families, clubs, coaches and meet directors – work together to determine what is in the best interests of your specific communities.

As part of that process, we suggest reviewing the latest CDC guidance, reviewing other school or community closures in your area, and reaching out to your local public health department, to help determine if and when to cancel sanctioned events, alter business operations, or participate in gymnastics activities.

Some resources that may be helpful include:

In the event of a cancellation or postponement, we ask that meet directors notify participants as soon as possible, as well as notify USA Gymnastics by email membership@usagym.org. Or, if a state or regional event requires cancellation, we ask that meet directors also notify their respective program directors to discuss implications and potential rescheduling.

While we know potential cancellations and disruptions are not ideal, the health and well-being of our athletes and members must be our top priority. We appreciate the community coming together to help make these difficult decisions.

USA Gymnastics will provide updates as we receive more information or if new developments occur.

Sincerely,

USA Gymnastics

Yeah..pretty sure we all got that today.

This is the problem with our current situation. There’s no way to tell if it’s “just the flu” or covid-19, especially if you are in a potential hotspot like the Bay Area... there aren’t enough tests readily available.

clinically, probably doesn’t matter for the person infected but it’s the potential to have it spread through the community and infecting elderly population.

It really shouldn't matter. Both are dangerous to the elderly population and really, people should take the same precautions with both. If you are sick with a fever and respiratory stuff, stay home!!

Santa Clara CA (Northern California)

Wife picked daughter up from practice, and she said 60% of the optionals are out with the flu, my daughter has a fever right now of 102.

Our team was supposed to have a meet in San Jose (Santa Clara County) and because the county issued a recommendation about limiting large gatherings, the meet was canceled. It's pretty frustrating. SC County has 20 cases of exposure, not even of illness, and 2 million residents, and all these kids were together 5 days ago. Acro has SO FEW meets as it is. My next concern is our World Cup/State meet in Las Vegas in 5 weeks. Fingers crossed we've stopped losing our collective minds by then.

Hope your daughter feels better quickly. Flu is still rampant here too.

My mistake I didn’t realize everyone here was a USAG member.

Mods please feel free to delete

Did not mean anything by that. Didn't want it deleted. Just made a comment. It really didn't tell us much. Everything is still up in the air.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back