WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Which i think is fair. Probably better to let states/regions make decisions for now. It could change though
Right but what if one region says we aren’t having regionals because our area is so affected by the virus and others have their regionals....I just think it would be good to have a universal decision or it could be a big fat mess. But that is just mho....fwiw

It big time is. It’s like they are passing the buck and saying you guys figure it out. Ugh!
Actually they can’t possibly know where and when out breaks may or may not occur...... its prudent.

Our team was supposed to have a meet in San Jose (Santa Clara County) and because the county issued a recommendation about limiting large gatherings, the meet was canceled. It's pretty frustrating. SC County has 20 cases of exposure, not even of illness, and 2 million residents, and all these kids were together 5 days ago. Acro has SO FEW meets as it is. My next concern is our World Cup/State meet in Las Vegas in 5 weeks. Fingers crossed we've stopped losing our collective minds by then.

Hope your daughter feels better quickly. Flu is still rampant here too.

We are also in Northern California and went to the same cancelled acro meet. Yes, I say went, because the cancellation email was sent to me after I had left town, and I was not able to access email from phone. So dd and I drove 3 hours in Friday pm traffic, checked into hotel, and were heading out to get dinner when we ran into another family from our gym who told us the news. (They had decided to make the trip anyway and visit friends.) There was no way I was getting back in the car at that point to drive home, so we stayed the night and visited a museum today before heading home. The frustrating thing was that less than 24 hours before the cancellation email, the host gym had sent an email assuring that the meet would go on but outlining the reasonable precautions. So I was not even thinking about it being cancelled when we headed out.

FWIW, the museum had many visitors, the two restaurants we visited were packed, and the Target we hit on the way home still had plenty of TP. In other words, we are not exactly hunkering down in hazmat tents around here. (But I am seeing lots of particularly vigorous hand washing!)

Ty's Dad, hope your daughter is ok!

Regarding the CDC’s “Don’t touch your face” edict, I know it’s the right thing, but

How I feel:

Don't touch your face.jpg

https://apic.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Dont-touch-your-face_FINAL.pdf

We are also in Northern California and went to the same cancelled acro meet. Yes, I say went, because the cancellation email was sent to me after I had left town, and I was not able to access email from phone. So dd and I drove 3 hours in Friday pm traffic, checked into hotel, and were heading out to get dinner when we ran into another family from our gym who told us the news. (They had decided to make the trip anyway and visit friends.) There was no way I was getting back in the car at that point to drive home, so we stayed the night and visited a museum today before heading home. The frustrating thing was that less than 24 hours before the cancellation email, the host gym had sent an email assuring that the meet would go on but outlining the reasonable precautions. So I was not even thinking about it being cancelled when we headed out.

FWIW, the museum had many visitors, the two restaurants we visited were packed, and the Target we hit on the way home still had plenty of TP. In other words, we are not exactly hunkering down in hazmat tents around here. (But I am seeing lots of particularly vigorous hand washing!)

Ty's Dad, hope your daughter is ok!

Oh I never saw an email from the host gym. Wow. Yeah it's super frustrating.

ugh @Madden3 that is SUPER frustrating to get all the way there only to find out the meet is canceled. I would say we all should probably get used to living in limbo for a bit. I actually appreciate USAG not drawing a hard line just yet. It's just too fluid to do so. So much can change in a couple days. I expect that it will level out here in the next couple of weeks and we'll have a better handle on the scope and impact and be able to make better decisions. Until then, wash yo' hands! :p

I am being watchful and prepared. My level ten is an asthmatic (thanks to post pneumonia damage from H1n1) and this illness could be potentially devastating for her. She is still young though (13) so on the other hand her age is in her favor. That said, she’s in great physical shape, ocd about hand hygiene and nutrition, and this year her medical team is optimistic she may (fingers crossed) be heading into a remission of sorts. Nonetheless this is a scary disease. When you run the numbers it is not too pretty and my concern remains overload of the health care system. As a RN who has worked for years in inpatient settings I can tell you that staffing and beds during a normal flu season takes years off your life. There is not much wiggle room left for even a hundred more patients needing intensive care. And I live in a major metropolitan area! I can’t even image what it could do in a smaller area with less access to health care. As for the post season issue, if I were USAG I would be making backup plans- just in case this gets ugly.

This is my true concern. My mom (who has COPD) got Flu B in early February and spent 3 nights as a "boarder patient" in the ER because they had no beds upstairs. They were going to transport her to a hospital about 30 miles away, but they also had no beds. This was prior to the Covid-19 outbreak here in Washington. She has had some follow up since then and apparently Flu A is making a comeback and is peaking now that Flu B has peaked in the area. The healthcare system is already overloaded and many cases of Covid requiring intervention will certainly put a tax on our area hospitals.

Anyone have any local meets affected this past weekend or this weekend coming up? Looks like many colleges and universities are doing atleast some shutdowns. Santa Clara county just made a mandate- no events with more than 1000 people...(not including school, work, travel) but does include sports events, concerts. Link for add'l info.

Anyone have any local meets affected this past weekend or this weekend coming up? Looks like many colleges and universities are doing atleast some shutdowns. Santa Clara county just made a mandate- no events with more than 1000 people...(not including school, work, travel) but does include sports events, concerts. Link for add'l info.

Hmmm.... Region 1 regionals are in Pleasanton, California, which is about an hour away from there. Now there won’t be 1000 people at one time there, and it looks like it is at a fairground....but still. It’s getting more and more interesting...

Hmmm.... Region 1 regionals are in Pleasanton, California, which is about an hour away from there. Now there won’t be 1000 people at one time there, and it looks like it is at a fairground....but still. It’s getting more and more interesting...

I did not think about the idea that 1000 won't be there at one time- that is a good point. So while there may be 1000 people over the course of the competition- it is unlikely they will all be there together. That is interesting.

I did not think about the idea that 1000 won't be there at one time- that is a good point. So while there may be 1000 people over the course of the competition- it is unlikely they will all be there together. That is interesting.
The ban is also only for three weeks. Regionals are further away than that, so who knows?

NorCal State is Solano county- right next to Travis Air Force base where many of the quarantined are placed. That’s in less than 2 weeks...

OU/Gopher (MN) meet is Saturday and it's sold out. A handful of infected people at this meet and you've got many, many more infected gymnasts just in time for state which is the following weekend. I think state meets will be OK for most then things get REAL just in time for Regionals.

Every thing in Norcal proceeded as usual this past weekend. Maybe a handful of more scratches than usual but 3 invitationals with a few hundred gymnasts each went on as planned. No indication yet that State and Regionals will not proceed as planned. Point about crowd at gym meets being not that large is a good one. I think we would have to get to the point where actual gyms are closing to face the meets being cancelled.

Also I woudn't be concerned at all about States being in the same county as Travis AFB. The quarantined people are isolated on the base, the county itself is in no more danger than anyone else in the state.

I think things will be in flux and changing daily... the list just today of universities cancelling classes and moving to on-line only is large. If universities or public schools shut down it could affect any meets - including state and regional meets that are held in those locations.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back