WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think state meets will happen. For girls and boys state wide. It’s regionals that are going to be the real issue from the way things are trending....

I think they are in discussions. Ours is this weekend, and there is still some question.

My daughter's state is still 3 weeks away, so anything could happen. Even if the gym/TXUsag is fine with it going forward, it's being hosted in a school district building, so if THEY have cases or make a policy....

I suppose on the off chance the post season gets canceled, it just gets to be upgrade season that much sooner. Crossing my fingers we at least get through state though.

I'm not sure why Chalkbucket won't link it, but USAG Masachusetts just posted on Facebook that in addition to a few upcoming meets being canceled, they lost their venue for one of the state meets. They're scrambling for an alternative now.

Good evening to all professional members,
With the COVID-19 situation changing many times throughout the day today, we are reaching out with what we know thus far. We know that there is a State of Emergency in MA, and with that, many sites are canceling future events. We know that both the Starlight and Winthrop Invitationals have been canceled. If your athlete was using either Starlight or Winthrop as a qualifier to states whether it be as a MA meet for Level 1-3 and Xcel; or as a sectional or IES for Levels 4-10, we will honor your submitted entry as their "sectional" or second IES score and those athletes will be allowed to participate in their upcoming State Championships as if they had qualified.
While we understand the importance of keeping everyone safe, we also believe in the ability to provide the athletes with their culminating Championship meet that they have worked so hard all season to be able to attend. We learned earlier today that Holyoke Community College would not be allowing the Level 4 State Championships to occur at their facility. We had an emergency committee conference call this evening, and are looking at options to allow this competition to happen for these girls. We do not believe that postponing the meet without a solid reschedule date is in the best interests of the athletes, though please understand that we are on a very tight timeline to lock down a viable alternative. We will be emailing tomorrow evening with the final plan for the Level 4 State Championships. We appreciate your patience, and understand your concern for everyone's health and well-being beyond gymnastics.
Best,
Michele Archer
USA Gymnastics-Massachusetts
State Administrative Committee Chairman

Email just arrived from my sons college, in a state with no cases of virus. Very vague, decisions will be fluid and to pack everything and head home for spring break we will advise between tomorrow and the 20th.. Guessing it will be online schooling for who knows how long. Many state meets are held at college campus or high schools which are all closing or canceling events over 100 people. New York and Connecticut also under State of emergency.

I think USAG should secure another location in a low risk state for Easterns/Westerns and Nationals right away. There is still time to do that. They can spray down all equipment as well as audience stands frequently during the meet with Lysol. Put out hand sanitizer stations everywhere. Perhaps older grandparents should not be attending. Worst case scenarios, they can postpond it. But cancelling it completely would be totally devastating to many gymnasts.

As far as I understand, this is NOT confirmed, but "Washington state to ban events and social gatherings with more than 250 people in Snohomish, King and Pierce counties, sources tell HeraldNet."

This would affect Nationals, I believe, if it comes to fruition and is still in effect in a couple months.

I think USAG should secure another location in a low risk state for Easterns/Westerns and Nationals right away. There is still time to do that. They can spray down all equipment as well as audience stands frequently during the meet with Lysol. Put out hand sanitizer stations everywhere. Perhaps older grandparents should not be attending. Worst case scenarios, they can postpond it. But cancelling it completely would be totally devastating to many gymnasts.
That would be awesome, but what’s to say the new state would be low risk in Mid May? That’s so long from now.

That would be awesome, but what’s to say the new state would be low risk in Mid May? That’s so long from now.

Maybe some remote part of North Dakota in a barn, far from any city.....;)

I hope by that time, it would have died down somewhat.......like the H1N1 or SARS pandemic, they fizzled out by summer

Maybe some remote part of North Dakota in a barn, far from any city.....;)
Omg loved the barn comment.
Btw have any of you heard about college regionals? From what I heard, no spectators are being allowed at UCLA through April 10. Well that means no one is allowed in regionals, correct?

Omg loved the barn comment.
Btw have any of you heard about college regionals? From what I heard, no spectators are being allowed at UCLA through April 10. Well that means no one is allowed in regionals, correct?

yes- no one at regionals for NCAAs for California regionals. Looks like SEC has not current restrictions- their championship is in a few weeks in Georgia. North Carolina also put out an update about all of their state meets going forward on schedule for March. Region 8 regionals is scheduled for late April there as well.

We got an update from a meet we are attending this weekend...basically just be careful, be smart, wash your hands etc. Funny they also asked gymnasts not to spit on grips or any other equipment lol. I hadnt thought about it till they mentioned it...but yeah lets avoid spit for the time being :)

Our highschool just put out a notification that they were canceling any events that would bring in off-campus visitors. Not more than 10 minutes after I got that email, I saw a post on facebook from our local Volleyball club stating that their two day tournament they were hosting and bringing people in from all over the state this weekend just lost their venue. One guess where they were planning to host the tourney. Sucks for everyone. :(

As far as I understand, this is NOT confirmed, but "Washington state to ban events and social gatherings with more than 250 people in Snohomish, King and Pierce counties, sources tell HeraldNet."

This would affect Nationals, I believe, if it comes to fruition and is still in effect in a couple months.

I really doubt they would issue a ban now that would extend that far out. The goal now of reducing social gatherings is to slow the spread to avoid overwhelming the healthcare system. The health department is saying that the same number of people will become infected regardless, it's just trying to postpone some of those infections to spread out the need for healthcare. Studies are showing that social distancing for 2-4 weeks is what is needed right now. If that holds, May is WAY outside of that range. It's premature to move anything at this point.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back