WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At this point, who cares? For much of the country, Regionals will be held as covid-19 is ramped up. How do you design a system where some will have qualified into Regionals via their state meet and others are qualifying on an a different method all together.
Actually I just looked it up and petitioning in is possible in CA for injuries, natural disasters, etc. - I'm sure some do care and are hoping that things may turn around in a month and they will get their chance to their compete in post-season (some seniors, recovering from injury, etc.) Fingers crossed these large cancellations and containment actions work to flatten the curve!

Obviously you don't have a senior, so call it a year cause you have plenty other years. Good for you. So go on and be insensitive and dismiss it like it is no big deal for the rest of the kids who literally worked ten years of their lives for a shot to Nationals in their senior year. Or actually, mock them. That's more classy.

The virus will blow over in a couple of months. The last big virus SARS had the first reported case November 2002. There was some travel ban but nothing of the magnitude of the bans and cancellation that are going on now. It fizzled out by May.
You are part of the 1% for whom this is really a much bigger deal with a graduating senior. But I'll maintain that the public health threat and containment is way more important than anyone's gymnastics career. Please take a look at what the most highly regarded universities around the country are doing. They are closing up shop to send a message that national leadership in this county is a complete joke. It will be way way way worse here than in China. I promise.

A small business losing $50,000.00 in advance costs for a Regional championship meet that will not happen is HILARIOUS.
It totally stinks to lose the money, but this is every business everywhere. Everything other than grocery stores and medical facilities are going to close in the next few weeks.

So now I wonder if NorCal will be cancelled. Plus the Hopes Classics, guess I have to get trip insurance.

Attachments

• 433B14ED-56B6-4123-A601-B888091108C5.png
    433B14ED-56B6-4123-A601-B888091108C5.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
I don't understand why some people seem determined to dictate how people respond to the disappointments in their life? Is the greater health of our communities more important than gymnastics? Yes of course, I'm not sure anyone would argue against that. But goodness it's ok to feel disappointed and even VOICE that disappointment when things that are important to them are canceled. We are complex creatures and capable of feeling multiple things at once. There is space for us to feel ALL the things. ((hugs))

Re. trip insurance and other types of insurance (e.g., ticket insurance): Be sure you read the details, including any exclusions, before you purchase. Some policies I've recently considered exclude coverage for pandemics. There is such a thing as "cancel for any reason" travel insurance, but it is expensive and not available in all states.

I don't understand why some people seem determined to dictate how people respond to the disappointments in their life? Is the greater health of our communities more important than gymnastics? Yes of course, I'm not sure anyone would argue against that. But goodness it's ok to feel disappointed and even VOICE that disappointment when things that are important to them are canceled. We are complex creatures and capable of feeling multiple things at once. There is space for us to feel ALL the things. ((hugs))
Point taken.

Yikes! My daughter got Flu B this year. She got a rare side effect - acute viral myositis. It almost only affects children who have had flu B. Only 2.6 per 100,000 kids who get Flu B will get it. Once they are on the mend, it suddenly becomes extremely painful to walk - they will have to get/stay up on high toe, or even crawl. It usually lasts about three days and then spontaneously resolves and the medical community has no idea why it happens.

Just sharing. It's weird and I had never even heard of it before.
Oh my goodness! This JUST happened to my YDD gymmie too! I am in medicine and had NEVER heard of this. It was worse than the actual flu for her! But then a few days went by and she was near normal. It was so dramatic!

Oh my goodness! This JUST happened to my YDD gymmie too! I am in medicine and had NEVER heard of this. It was worse than the actual flu for her! But then a few days went by and she was near normal. It was so dramatic!

One of my daughter's teammates just had this a couple of weeks ago. She was out with the flu for 5-6 days but was feeling better and was planning on coming back the next day. But then she woke up and wasn't able to walk. Same diagnosis. It lasted a couple of days and then she was ok. So scary!

KS school where states were to be held just announced cancellation of all events through the end of the month. I'm assuming an announcement for state cancellation to be coming soon.

I also hope the virus will fizzle out in a few months. We don't really know though, of course, until it happens or doesn't. It's not as deadly as SARS, but it's a lot more contagious, so harder to contain. Only 8,000 people in 29 countries came down with SARS. There are already over 126,000 (that we know of) with Coronavirus in 113 countries and it seems to be just getting started. You can't really equate this to other recent novel viruses.
We don’t know here in the USA because tests are not available in many areas and limited I. Others . Meanwhile I have a gallon of running alcohol for sale for 10,000

For what it is worth, my son's high school track meet this weekend was canceled and there are *rumors* the whole season will be cancelled. We live in Northern California and these are all outdoor meets.

Today it was announced that 2 local gym meets scheduled for this weekend- one WAG, one MAG NoCAL States, will go ahead but with limited spectators allowed. (1 or 1-2 guests per gymnast respectively.) Have no idea how long that plan will last! If you are heading to a meet this weekend, do not make the same mistake I did last weekend, be sure to have access to last minute information on changes!

Ok, the plan lasted a very short time. Apparently CA Governor is saying cancel everything 250 people or more through end of March. So that WAG meet is cancelled. Not sure about the MAG yet

MLB is about to suspend operations , NHL is done for the season . I would be surprised if regions and nationals are held.

We don’t know here in the USA because tests are not available in many areas and limited I. Others . Meanwhile I have a gallon of running alcohol for sale for 10,000

A week or so ago I saw a quote that with all the labs up and running in Texas we would be able to process 125 tests a day. In Texas....
So yea, that's a big problem.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back