WAG Post season meets and Coronavirus

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Same. Our gym closed for the weekend to clean. Then moved some groups to the mornings to reduce the number of gymnasts in the gym at the same time. Then learned yesterday that the gym is closing for this week. Will evaluate after that. And now our state has just ordered a slew of businesses including gymnasiums, fitness centers, indoor sports facilities, etc. to close through March 30. So depressing.

But on a lighter note. Just called home to check in on my two DD's (age 12 and 13). One was mopping. One was doing dishes. (Mind you, this is not a normal occurrence with them). And they had already completed their conditioning workout and an art activity this morning. They have put together a daily schedule with includes cleaning, conditioning, stretching, art, reading, etc. At least for Day 1, they appear to be enjoying themselves. And making the best of it. :)

My 15 y/o DD is upstairs vacuuming her room (asked to do it - I am in total shock). Her sister is out riding her bike to condition and the 3rd is on her i-pad. 2 out of 3 not bad :)

My 15 y/o DD is upstairs vacuuming her room (asked to do it - I am in total shock). Her sister is out riding her bike to condition and the 3rd is on her i-pad. 2 out of 3 not bad :)

Somehow this crisis seems to be inspiring teens to be helpful and responsible! Mine spent Saturday morning organizing school papers, cleaning out her backpack, and cleaning her room and bathroom without even being asked. I sure hope this lasts.

alright coaches; have you heard from your state/regional chairs regarding possibility of state/regional/nationals being cancelled due to the continued coronavirus outbreak? especially troublesome given:

Norcal State: california bay area
Region 1 Regionals: california bay area
Westerns: Sacramento area
Nationals: Tacoma Washington

These locations all potential coronavirus outbreak hotspots.

One gym in Georgia that I won't name, although I am tempted, is running a camp for all the kids who are out of school. Meanwhile, our gym and most others are closed to ALL gymnasts. This is the height of social irresponsibility.

My gym followed all the guidelines, team workouts were staggered to keep less than 25 in the gym. The new guidelines came out and within minutes they sent a message asking for parents to come pick up the kids and we are shutting down.

USAG just canceled everything through May 10th as well as JO Nationals (they posted in Facebook).

Yes, we got the email just a little while ago.

Even though I was expecting it, that email was still sad to read.

Hopefully all of this “social distancing” helps to knock this virus out so that kids can get back to gymnastics and we can all get back to “normal,” even though that may be different from what we know now.

Yes, we got the email just a little while ago.

Even though I was expecting it, that email was still sad to read.

Hopefully all of this “social distancing” helps to knock this virus out so that kids can get back to gymnastics and we can all get back to “normal,” even though that may be different from what we know now.

Yeah, that last email from USAG really did make me so sad. I get it, and I don't disagree with it, I'm just sad for my athlete and her teammates.

We're in a hot spot and almost all of the schools and all of the local gyms are closed. Our gym remains open. I really love our gym and the coaches, but for the first time I find myself questioning if they value gymnastics more than the gymnasts. I know this is hard for small business owners, but it's also hard for parents who feel like we'll be penalized if we keep our kids home when the gym is open. And I know the same parents who have their kids in non-stop privates are trying to schedule more now that schools are closed. It's really made me think about the role gymnastics plays in our lives.

They are putting dollars in front of the safety of the community.....

As fast as everything is changing and now that end of season meets are off the table I think all gyms will be closing in the next couple days... I had an email from my daughter's cheer gym at 10 today saying they would be open and then another one 2 hours later stating they are closing... Things are changing fast....look at the beginning of this thread...many were predicting that state meets would be fine....as the Coronavirus grows exponentially, the changes are also increasing at exponential rate!

Now the the most of the San Francisco Bay Area has issued shelter in place guidelines, gyms that had not already closed will be forced to. I think the more frightening prospect was the statement that this all might be the new normal through July or August.

Forget a hardship for the gyms, this will potentially bankrupt many Americans as layoffs become more wide spread. All sport seems very small staring this in the face.

Yesterday Texas said they woudl not close restaurants and bars and today bars and dining rooms have been closed. I am hoping they let regular stores stay open one more day so I can go to the homeschool store and get the rest of the year's worth of supplies (and maybe the fall semester's as well? In case of supply chain disruptions?) I would much rather buy from our local store than order online. It's important to me that they stay open.

Now the the most of the San Francisco Bay Area has issued shelter in place guidelines, gyms that had not already closed will be forced to. I think the more frightening prospect was the statement that this all might be the new normal through July or August.

Forget a hardship for the gyms, this will potentially bankrupt many Americans as layoffs become more wide spread. All sport seems very small staring this in the face.

No question we will face a global recession when this is over. Anything short of that would be a miracle.

Here is what shelter in place means in the Bay Area:

"Everyone is to work from home, or stop working, unless they provide an essential service, which includes health care workers; police, fire and other emergency responders; and utility providers such as electricians, plumbers, and sanitation workers.

Grocery stores and pharmacies will remain open, and restaurants may stay open to provide takeout food only. Also staying open: veterinary services, gas stations and auto repair shops, hardware and other home supply stores, banks and laundry services. Businesses that remain open are encouraged to keep both employees and customers six feet apart, including while standing in line. But there are no specific limitations on the number of people allowed inside."

Everything that a person needs to stay well at home(people and pets) will stay open. Then anything that those workers in the first paragraph who need to continue working will stay open too. Also any companies involed with manufator of health related equipment(my husband works for a large corporation that makes test kits and they stay open with a skeleton crew of all needed that can't work from home).

Here is what shelter in place means in the Bay Area:

"Everyone is to work from home, or stop working, unless they provide an essential service, which includes health care workers; police, fire and other emergency responders; and utility providers such as electricians, plumbers, and sanitation workers.

Grocery stores and pharmacies will remain open, and restaurants may stay open to provide takeout food only. Also staying open: veterinary services, gas stations and auto repair shops, hardware and other home supply stores, banks and laundry services. Businesses that remain open are encouraged to keep both employees and customers six feet apart, including while standing in line. But there are no specific limitations on the number of people allowed inside."

Everything that a person needs to stay well at home(people and pets) will stay open. Then anything that those workers in the first paragraph who need to continue working will stay open too. Also any companies involed with manufator of health related equipment(my husband works for a large corporation that makes test kits and they stay open with a skeleton crew of all needed that can't work from home).

My husband and I both work for specialty contractors. Field crews are all suspended and all projects are paused. Design teams can still work, but for our estimators and project management teams, there is only justification to work remotely when there is, in fact, work. In my role I support all departments, but even then my future beyond the next couple weeks is unknown.

We have 5 children between the ages of 17 and 22. As of today, 3 of 5 have had their places of employment close. 2 of them are out of school for 4 weeks, the other 3 now have to transition to online schooling mid-semester. Mortgage, car payments, taxes, bills... I hate to be Chicken Little over here, but the sky seems to be falling :confused:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back