Parents Posture

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is anyone driven insane by their DD's standing posture? My daughter has insane core strength and really strong shoulders/upper body. but she looks hunched to me. I have had her checked for scolioisis. I think it is just the way that she stands. Anyone else bugged by this? Does the overdevelopment in the shoulders make them curve their shoulders forward? Just venting. I know I sound like a grandmother.

My DD and DS are the same. DD is currently having physio and some is development being mismatched and some laziness apparently. I have become a nag about it now!

In my opinion, insist on good posture now or it will cause problems later. I had poor posture as a teen due to self esteem issues and inherited depression. I’m working to change it now and it’s hard. Standing straight, or as straight as I can feels so unnatural, I wish I had taken it seriously as a kid.

In my opinion, insist on good posture now or it will cause problems later. I had poor posture as a teen due to self esteem issues and inherited depression. I’m working to change it now and it’s hard. Standing straight, or as straight as I can feels so unnatural, I wish I had taken it seriously as a kid.

She thinks she is standing up straight. I wonder if it is an illusion because of shoulder development. She's sick of hearing from me.

YES! My daughter looks ridiculous walking around - in heels is even worse on the rare occasion she wears them. I'm constantly on her about standing/sitting up straight. Unfortunately it also makes her look insecure when she's not at all.

She thinks she is standing up straight. I wonder if it is an illusion because of shoulder development. She's sick of hearing from me.

Talkto her pediatrician about the issue and ask for a referral to a good physical therapist. Poor posture is a habit that does not improve on its own. Again, if it’s a habit now when she’s standing straight it will feel completely uncomfortable and unnatural.

I’m not associated with them but a YouTube channel with more than a million followers from two physical therapists has some exercises that address the issue in a straight forward manner.

Maybe I'm wrong, but unless the child understands and believes that posture is important - no use to bother. The problem is: how do explain this?

Maybe I'm wrong, but unless the child understands and believes that posture is important - no use to bother. The problem is: how do explain this?

Show them in a mirror , have your child demonstrate poor and correct posture, have them feel the difference, , have their doctor tell and show them, ask a physical therapist or occupational therapist show them and tell them. Point out people in public with poor and correct posture. Studies have shown people are growing a bone spur in their heads due to poor posture.

If the parent truly believes it’s important insist on it just like you do anything else with suggestions, discussion, humor and if necessary discipline. One place I absolutely insist on it is at the table. When eating, everyone must sit up straight, elbows off the table, distractions away, sit up, every single time.

If the parents don’t think it’s important, give up. Posture is correctable but not if you think it can’t be fixed. If you think it’s hard for your teen to fix, I promise you it is far more difficult in their 30’s, 40’s and beyond.

This should be addressed. I have had the same problems, because I have spent so many years developing my arm and chest muscles in gymnastics, it ended up pulling my shoulders forward and now in my 30’s it is causing issues like shoulder inflammation.

The physiotherapist has managed to correct the problem, but the body needs to be developed equally. So the physiology can give her exercises to develop the muscles that are being pulled out of alignment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back