Parents Practice at Home

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jessmomto2

Proud Parent
So I have read a bit on some things here not to allow your children to do at home. My child is crazy as I am sure many kids in gymnastics are at home. She is not learning a lot of things that really could be deemed dangerous I don't think yet but would like to know for now and future reference what is ok to allow a child to do at home? What is the reasoning behind not allowing each of these things (saftey, bad habits etc.)? With my daughter right now I do not allow her to do bridges at home but allow her to do leg lifts, pull ups, pull overs and small casts on a doorway bar. I also let her practice splits, cartwheels, handstands, backwards rolls to a push up position (have no idea what the real name for this little trick is) and her attempt at press handstand which is quite amusing at this point lol. Are these things ok?

We do not allow it for a variety of reasons. First being safety. Cartwheels and handstands are allowed but nothing else. We don't have mats. Two is form. I'm not a coach, I'm just a mom and I don't want her practicing something her coach has to fix. Third is keeping her passion for something she loves. It should be in the gym and she should have down time

Thank you guess I should add to that I am not directing this and she is in the gym two hours a week right now which she feels is not fair lol. I don't critique or try and help her with any of the things she does but do supervise her on the door bar, and I don't know if she is doing them correct form or not. I did buy her a small mat she does the rolls on.

Not a coach here either. But what you've listed sounds safe to me. Anything that can build strength, condition, improve flexibility is probably even good for them. I would stay away from flight elements, twisting in the air (ones that don't use hands).

When the kids start gymnastics, they are very excited and want to try anything and everything they really are not capable or ready to do. They watch other gymnasts and want to try the skills themselves. The basics a good coach teaches is an important foundation in developing more difficult skills later on. When they teach themselves, they develop bad habits, can hurt themselves and then develop fears. There are also progressions in all skills. For instance, it is important to do a good layout before attempting a full twist or do a back handspring before attempting a back tuck. So, I think it is important to let a coach lead, even a not so good coach is better then letting our kids figure it out themselves.

As a side note, My experience is that once they get to that level where they are ready (Level 7) or training to do the more difficult skills, they usually are not as eager to practice at home.

Thank you she hasn't so far tried anything they don't already work on in class, she isn't one to want to watch other kids older than her much or tv or youtube about gymnastics so hopefully that will help her not get too many big ideas about "tricks" above her level.

I am a coach (as well as a parent).
For our pre-team/developmental group, we encourage them to practice the following at home:
* handstands
* presses
* splits

If they have a pull up bar, they can certainly practice leg lifts and pull ups, conditioning is good. Running/sprinting, sit ups, push ups etc, all awesome!

They are absolutely NOT allowed to practice any tricks or tumbling skills. :)

And if you have a boy, a home mushroom is an excellent investment, especially if you can find a used one.

All okay except the casting on the door bar - a big no-no - it is not designed for the forces she is putting on it and that way a trip to the hospital lies.

Mine does handstands ( hundreds of handstands) and uses the cartwheel as a method of locomotion, plus sitting in splits, and general conditioning hut that is it.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back