Parents Practice schedule over Thanksgiving??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

FlippinLilysMom

Proud Parent
Our team girls get Wednesday, Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) and Friday off. Just got a text from our coach that they want the 4 HOPES girls to come in for a couple of hours each of those days to practice, including Thanksgiving (in the morning). My husband is adamant that our DD will not be going to the practice Thanksgiving morning, and I have to agree with him. We are planning on sending her to the Wednesday and Friday practices, though she has tickets to see A Christmas Carol with her aunt on Friday at 1:00 pm, so we will have to get her from practice no later than 11:00 am so she can get home and shower and be ready to go to the show. I'm more surprised that they are wanting to come in themselves to coach the girls on Thanksgiving....

DD normally practices S,M,W and Th evenings. Thanksgiving week they are switching the Th practice to Tu. We are staying local, so she will likely attend all 4 practices that week. I would expect about 1/2 the girls to show up for the W practice.

DD will compete XP this winter and her training group is XP, L7, XD and L9.

Reactions: sce
Dd usually has Wed off, but I’m assuming she’ll practice Wed before Thanksgiving and take Thursday off that week so she won’t miss any practice time. I’m expecting a regular practice schedule for all on Fri and Sat. Years ago, our coaches held practice on Thanksgiving for the JO kids (they’re not from the US so didn’t get the significance of the holiday). They have since stopped that, but as I recall most people came if they were in town.

That being said — Hopes and Elite is a different ballgame. If it was a full 5-hr practice taking up the bulk of the day, I’d say no. But 2 or 3 hours in the morning may be feasible and even desired by some. Especially if trying to come back from injury or illness as a shorter workout to rebuild strength may be ideal. As long as it’s not disruptive, we’d probably do it. But if your hubby is an adamant no, then that may not work for your family. It’s all about the balance and what works for one family won’t necessarily work for another.

We have off Thanksgiving day, but will have regular practice on Friday and Saturday. It is expected that attendance will be lower and families that have plans or travel will go on with their plans. No one feels they must be at these practices, but the coaches are there for those that want to come. We have 2 meets in December, so the gym feels they should offer practices and let families choose. I would not want to come in for any practice on Thanksgiving day. A day without gymnastics devoted solely to family is a good thing.

Our gym closes from Wednesday afternoon through Sunday for Thanksgiving break but I expect we will hear of make up times for kids who can do those. Make ups will probably be the week before and after Thanksgiving.

The kids only have two weeks off during a calendar year (one in June and one in August) so I love the extended break time in November. There isn't a break around Christmas and New Years for them.

Our team is off for the whole week. Sunday-Sunday. It is one of 3 planned weeks off. We did it last year, and it really boosted the boys, gave them time to be with family, get caught up on rest, and allowed bodies to heal before season. It shocked me at first but with some planned conditioning, it was a very positive thing for ds.

Wow I wish our gym offered practice Thanksgiving morning! Having my boys out of my hair for a few hours that day would be awesome!

Our HC usually schedules daytime practices during school- holiday weeks, with only the actual holiday and maybe day after (depending) itself off. And yes it is no big deal if the kids do not attend, although they like to know in advance who is coming/not coming to practice those days.

I like the idea of planned weeks off, and it makes good sense. But I know in reality I would hate it. We have a week off at the end of season and it is the longest week of my life.

Oh, when DS was younger, it would have driven me nuts too. But now, at 15, and with his poor body always hurting, a week off just gives him time to recover. He does conditioning, and might do some pommel, but otherwise, he rests, does therapy stuff, and that is it. It really helps him get ready!

DD's training group regularly has Wed off, and for Thx, will have Thursday and Friday. Back Saturday. But our first meet is a week after Thanksgiving. I hope they let DD's level train on Wednesday to make up for the two days. Normally I'd be thrilled with the time, but not with meet season starting.

My DD (L9) will have Thursday off, but has practice as normal the rest of the holiday break. My son who swims has Thanksgiving off but has two a day practices the rest of the break. AND we got an email from the HC of his club telling us not so subtly that this is VERY IMPORTANT that the kids be there. AND that they will help arrange practices for people who "must" travel over the weekend. LOL. So not out of the the norm for my word at all. In either sport my kids participate in!

We're off Thursday and Friday. The entire boys' team has a meet the following weekend, so it's pedal to the metal as soon as they're done digesting their turkey and resting up the day after. The girls have a few more weeks, but they too move into meet season mode as soon as the holiday is over.

Reactions: sce
DDs usual day off is Wed. We already know she will be practicing that wednesday and actually have thur-fri-sat OFF, which is practically unheard of!

We have the whole week of Thanksgiving off. We have a meet the Saturday BEFORE, so HC may have practice (fun day) that Monday... to discuss the meet and have basically an open gym after, but I highly doubt it. And then the next meet isnt until 2 weeks after Thanksgiving, so we have time.

Our team girls get Wednesday, Thursday (Thanksgiving Day) and Friday off. Just got a text from our coach that they want the 4 HOPES girls to come in for a couple of hours each of those days to practice, including Thanksgiving (in the morning). My husband is adamant that our DD will not be going to the practice Thanksgiving morning, and I have to agree with him. We are planning on sending her to the Wednesday and Friday practices, though she has tickets to see A Christmas Carol with her aunt on Friday at 1:00 pm, so we will have to get her from practice no later than 11:00 am so she can get home and shower and be ready to go to the show. I'm more surprised that they are wanting to come in themselves to coach the girls on Thanksgiving....
Ya that's a little obsessive. its a Holliday

You've recognized what many fail to recognize. The coach is also making a sacrifice on their holiday. Some call it obsessive, some call it dedicated, in reference to all 3 sides (coach, gymnast and parents). Ultimately it's up to you and your gymnast. If you decide not to go to the thanksgiving day practice (which would be understandable and not detrimental) you might consider thanking the coach for being so dedicated to the success of your child. So many people only see the negative side of a situation, it's refreshing that you recognize that they also might prefer to have the entire day off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back