Parents Practicing while on vacation?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TumbleTimes4

Proud Parent
We will be visiting family across the country for an extended period of time this summer. DD will be training for level 5 and I’m curious to know if it would be wise to have her attend a couple practices/open gyms at a local gym in the area.

Would this be recommended so she doesn’t lose skills or at level 5 is it not really necessary? Other parents that have done this, how did you go about it? Did you call different gyms in the area, how did you chose a gym, are gyms typically open to this, etc? Just looking for a little advice and a place to start. Thanks!

My dds were only compulsories when we went on an extended vacation, but they did stretching and conditioning lists several times a week. They didn't do conditioning on days they were particularly active.
I didn't notice any loss of skills when we got back.

If you're particularly concerned about it, I'd ask her coaches. Some coaches welcome a different perspective and encourage outside training like other open gyms and camps. Other's strongly prefer that their coaching plan not be disrupted with different techniques that could potentially confuse a young athlete.

We will be gone about 10 days (I consider anything over a week extended). And she could potentially miss another week shortly before that if she attends a summer camp. I want her to enjoy just being a kid and not have her life revolve around gymnastics and workouts, but I know she works very hard in the gym and so I also don’t want her to lose any progress that she has worked for. We are going to plan on doing conditioning while we are gone, but I didn’t know if maybe hitting a couple open gyms just to get a little practice on equipment and work a couple skills would be helpful as well. I will probably talk to her coaches as well closer time.

Nah. I wouldn’t send her to a gym during vacay for L5 (for any level really but especially compulsory). I’m sure she will be active enough doing what active kids do during the summer. I wouldn’t even ask the coach either because they don’t get to weigh in on my personal time like that (but that’s just me being a little extreme I know!).

We will be gone about 10 days (I consider anything over a week extended). And she could potentially miss another week shortly before that if she attends a summer camp. I want her to enjoy just being a kid and not have her life revolve around gymnastics and workouts, but I know she works very hard in the gym and so I also don’t want her to lose any progress that she has worked for. We are going to plan on doing conditioning while we are gone, but I didn’t know if maybe hitting a couple open gyms just to get a little practice on equipment and work a couple skills would be helpful as well. I will probably talk to her coaches as well closer time.

Don't worry about it. I have a current L9, and we have always travelled for at least 4 weeks in the summer. You have to live your life. Don't let gymnastics rule your decision-making.

That’s not extended. I would consider a month extended.

So no I wouldn’t do gym unless she is the kind of kid who would like that. Then I’d ask the coaches to perhaps recommend something.

Our coaches do recommend conditioning from Level 4 and on.

We (husband and/or I) work out with her, since we also work out. It’s part of our lifestyle. Our vacations are also pretty active. Lots of walking, swimming, biking etc....

So for us vacation is vacation, no gym.

I wouldn't worry about it either. We went on vacation for 2 weeks while DD was training for L7. She did some conditioning and stretching a few times during vacation. I think that their bodies can also benefit from a short break.

Thank you all for your advice. I don’t want this sport to dominate her life but I didn’t want to do anything that would set her back either since she does put a lot of time and effort into it. It’s nice to have a forum like this to ask experienced parents questions. It’s easy to get caught up in it and I want to make sure that she and our family maintain a healthy balance. We will include conditioning on the days she isn’t very active and enjoy our break from the gym.

For 1-2 weeks, even our upper optionals just take a conditioning list. That's not really extended enough to worry about.

We just did this but during competition season. Our daughter did practice at another gym for the 2ish weeks we were gone but if it was during the summer we wouldn't worry about it.

I have actually noticed that kids that are out of the gym 1-2 weeks during the summer tend to come back even stronger. A short break can be a GOOD thing. Enjoy vacation and don't worry about it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back