Parents Pre Team tryouts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Meliss18

Proud Parent
Hi there. I am new to the gymnastics parenting world. My daughter has been asked to try out for the pre team at her gym. She is 5 and has never done anything like this. Random question but how important is ‘looking the part’? Should I worry about slicking her hair back with gel? She has naturally curly/untamed hair. TIA!

You should have it pulled back out of her face, but perfectly slicked with gel etc shouldn't be necessary. She should look ready to work out (leo etc) but not competition ready iykwim.
I suppose there might be some gyms that are obsessive about appearance, but you should be able to get a feel for what is normal at your gym by looking at the team girls.

I would do the hair well. As with anything in life, an audition, a job interview etc, come in showing that you want it and are prepared to put in some effort. It may not make any difference at all, but it certainly won’t hurt.

Coaches are human and different things do impact them psychologically. If you see a kid who looks neat and tidy it is often subconsciously equates to being a neat and tidy gymnast.

I’m the director of our gyms preteam and in charge of our tryouts. I would appreciate practice ready appearance:leotard, hair pulled back, ready to focus and show effort. Couldn’t care less about whether the hair is in any certain style. I look much more at how the girls handle the tryouts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back