Parents Pre-Team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just wanted to share this with others who would understand because my family (with the exception of my husband) and friends really don't "get" it.

My 3 year old daughter has been doing gymnastics since April. There are 3 preschool level classes that they're in until they're 5 (I think) and then they start the rec classes. She started in the Preschool-1 classes and was promoted to Preschool-2 after the first session and is still in that class. She just started her third session (2nd in the Preschool-2 class) last week and today I was talking to her instructor (who I ADORE) after class and she told me that when we move (we're moving out west in October) to be sure to tell the new gym that they were going to promote her to their pre-team at the beginning of the next session (Oct). I was completely shocked and had no idea that they were going to do that. I thought maybe she'd be promoted to the Preschool-3 class, but had no idea that they saw enough potential to put her on their pre-team at such a young age. She'll turn 4 in October.

I have seen such tremendous progress since April which amazes me and makes me SO SO proud (as I'm sure you other parents can understand that feeling). Her handstands have gone from barely kicking her feet off of the ground to almost vertical (not quite) with straight legs. Her cartwheels are getting higher and today for the first time she did them with straight legs. She'll do flips over the bar and can do a backwards roll down the cheese mat. She did none of this before she started a few months ago. It just makes me so proud and I just wanted to share with you guys because I know you'll understand.

I'm still not sure what gym we're going to put her in when we move in October but I guess I need to inquire about their pre-teams and see what all is involved in that. I imagine they'll want to check her out and see if she meets their standards or something? Do I need to get something from her current gym that shows they were going to promote her? I'm so new to all of this.

Anyway, thanks for "listening" if you made it this far. This was a little long-winded. :D

pre-team is a BIG deal and you should be very proud of her! :D Hopefully you will find a great gym for her where she can keep on having fun and doing well!

Congrats to her on all her progress!! It is fun to see them progress and learn new skills.

As for moving and finding another gym, not all gyms have a pre-team program for 3/4 year olds. You might have to call around until you find one and if you can't, find the best program that will keep her happy and challenged. :)

Good luck with your move, too!

Every gym is going to have their own way of determining who is involved in preteam and who isn't. They will definately want to evaluate her themselves. At our old gym DD2 was involved in a preteam class at age 4 but when we switched gyms they evaulated her and didn't think she was ready for their youngest preteam class(ages 5-6). So they just put her in a rec class but continued to watch her and they moved her up this June.

Congratulations, the new gym will do their own evaluation and depending on how their system works will place her accordingly. I have a dd that started pre team at 3 and has friends that went the rec route, they all ended in the same place. Only time will really tell. Sonds like your dd is on the right track.

congrats!! Pre-Team is the first step toward competitive team and it's a big deal. Something from your current gym to your new gym wouldn't hurt but any new gym will do an evaluation session. Good luck.

I would have the gym write a recomendation. Your talented DD will probably have to try out at any gym you switch to. Many gyms don't take young ones to their team/preteams. DD was one that moved right around her 4th bday to preteam and it worked well then she moved and trained a year at Level 4 without competing. Many gyms wont do that because of the age factor. So I would just see what the new gyms say and go from there. Good luck and congrats to your little one

Just be sure not to get offended; every gym does things differently. If you look at the sched and see something in the preschool classes or prek-k level classes called "invitation only" those are usually part of team development, though the word pre-team might be reserved for a 2-4 hour weekly commitment program. Or they may not even put those classes or pre-team groups on the public schedule.

Being someone who worries much about The Schedule, in your shoes I would go ahead and look online at the gyms there now, and start making calls to see if they will need to hold a spot for her or if they are going to be wide open to add her.

Glad she's doing so well!!! As others have said though--remember each gym will do their own evaluation, so don't be shocked if she does preschool again for a short time.

Congrats on your DD's new skills! It is fun to watch them learn all these new things, and at 3 they are so proud of themselves, it's adorable!

As others have said, all gyms are different. And some gyms may not even have a formal pre-team. Ours didn't when we switched DD#1 here. She was evaluated and put in an 'advanced class' and there were only 3 other girls - all her age (7-8 yr olds). They didn't have any younger kids in anything but rec. However, within 6 months, these "advanced class" kids became the level 4 team. Fast forward a few years, and Little Monkey was put in the "advanced class" she was 4 turning 5 and 6 months later, SHE was training L4.

My point is, it doesn't matter what the group is called as long as they receive proper training and your dd is having fun! At 3/4 that's what it should be all about! :D

Thank you all! I'm definitely not opposed to her continuing a preschool class at a new gym as long as she continues to learn and doesn't get bored. I did call a couple of gyms that I'm interested in and one will place 4 year olds on their pre-team (she turns 4 the day after we move) and would want to evaluate her. The other is a smaller gym, doesn't sound like they have a pre-team for that young but they'd want to see what she can do to figure out where to place her. She's still so young that if she's not on a pre-team yet, that's fine. As long as she's having fun and not getting bored then I'm ok with it. Thanks for all of the responses! :)

Congratulation to your little one on all her progress!! She sounds like she's learning a lot!

I can't really offer any advice on the pre-team situation, my daughter didn't start gym until several months past her 7th birthday. I do know that her gym has a try-out for kids entering who want to become competitive, and they do evaluations for kids who sign up at different times. Good luck!

Pretty much agree with what everyone else says. Pre-team programs are different at every gym. What one gym calls pre-team, another calls advanced rec. 4yo would be rather young to get into an intense pre-team program, but alot of places have a fast track program for younger kids. As others said don't be put off if a gym that evaluates her says she's doing well, but not ready for their pre-team or skills that the other gym said were well done are only "ok" for them.

My plan would be to make a list of gyms that you've called all within a reasonable distance from your new home. Ask the current coach if she could copy or make a list of skills she feels dd is accomplished at and those she is working on---many gyms have skills sheets, so making a copy of one with some short comments would be very helpful to you. Once in your new home, start visiting gyms. I can assure you they'll all want to do an evaluation of dd. That's a great time to ask questions about cost, hours, number of kids to coach ratio. Once you've visited the gyms on your list, then sit down and make a list of pros/cons for each program. Ask dd which place she liked best. Figure out driving time and cost and then try to narrow down to 2. Call them back and see if dd can come in for a trial class in the one they recommended. Hopefully, you'll find a good fit pretty quickly and we'll see you on here talking about more new skills dd has learned at her new gym!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back