Prep Optional

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Anyone have opinions on the USAG prep optional program?

I've done a bit of research on-line, however there is not a ton of information available.

Regardless, what I would really like to hear is opinions from other parents or coach's regarding the program, I feel your opinions on this forum are more valuable than anything I can find on-line.

Is this something your kid is in or your gym does? Would you recommend this path?

Thanks!

I get the impression that what Prep Op means in a practical sense varies from state to state. We were considering this option for our daughter as a lower key introduction back into the gym but right now the plan is for her to go ahead and compete L8 so I'm hoping that is actually the right decision for her.

I started this thread earlier this summer and got some helpful responses. Maybe it would be helpful to you too.

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/parent-forum/29675-prep-optional-parents.html

How old is your daughter and what is her previous competition background and experience? At least in our state that determines what "level" of Prep Opt they are eligible to compete. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Many of the girls from our gym go to prep opt because they are stuck on skills needed for the next level or they just want to limit their time in the gym because of money or other activities. It seems to be a very good program for those reasons or for someone who just wants their own routines.

Prep Op CAN be a very good option in SOME areas. But it depends what state you are in & how your gym/coaches run their program. Some states & gyms have a more serious take on it & some (unfortunately IMHO) make a joke out of it:(. I really wish it were an across the board program(run the same nationwide), so we could really compare apples to apples. Basically, you really need to find out how the PO competition program is run in your state & how your gym runs their program of training PO. Then you can decide if it is a good fit for your DD. Good luck!:)

gymjourneymom is 100% correct. I think that USAG is TRYING to make it a much more popular option for girls who are battling fear issues, who want to spend less time (and $$) at the gym, who want to use it maybe after L6 to get an easier introduction to optional level gymnastics... basically for watever reason they can't or don't want to do USAG.

For my daughter it was definitely a great move for her. She had been battling some serious fear issues re: her back tumbling, and the lower pressure of the Prep Op. program allowed her to get those skills back in her own time. She felt very successful in this program and it gave her the confidence to go back to JO this year.

The program is becoming increasingly popular in Virginia. In fact, they just sent out a survey for all the coaches/gym owners seeking input on the program.

Good luck!

Last edited:
my gym is having prep opts for the first time this year. the state i live in only has one level of prep opt though (so it's not like silver, bronze, and gold and all that or advanced or that stuff :D) but at first my coaches thought it was a joke, but now we are having like 9 prep opts this year.. i think the reason is that in a few years they are changing the difficulty in compulsory levels (correct me if i'm wrong) and they don't want the girls that WERE level 6 become level 5 even though theyt will still be competing the same skills as before (if that makes sense :D)

My DD did her first year of gymnastics competition as Prep Opt Novice. In our state we have novice, intermediate and advanced. It is a fairly comprehensive competitive program in our state and region.

For my DD it was a great way to get introduced to competing. Our gym has a pretty well developed Prep Opt program (which is key, IMO) and this year we have many girls - most come from the rec classes and some come as newbies to the gym.

The main difference between JO, as I see it, is less intense - that mean, less hours in the gym, not as focsed on progression, and a great option for girls who do other sports or activities and can't devote the time (or money).

Programs vary from gym to gym, so research is important. In our gym, while it doesn't quite get the prestige as JO (and I think this is changing), it has dedicated coaches and a real team atmosphere. Based on out experience I would recommend it, but it depends on what you situation and goals are.

My DD did her first year of gymnastics competition as Prep Opt Novice. In our state we have novice, intermediate and advanced. It is a fairly comprehensive competitive program in our state and region.

For my DD it was a great way to get introduced to competing. Our gym has a pretty well developed Prep Opt program (which is key, IMO) and this year we have many girls - most come from the rec classes and some come as newbies to the gym.

The main difference between JO, as I see it, is less intense - that mean, less hours in the gym, not as focsed on progression, and a great option for girls who do other sports or activities and can't devote the time (or money).

Programs vary from gym to gym, so research is important. In our gym, while it doesn't quite get the prestige as JO (and I think this is changing), it has dedicated coaches and a real team atmosphere. Based on out experience I would recommend it, but it depends on what you situation and goals are.
Great post LizziLac! Sounds like you are in an area & gym that is taking Prep Op seriously & giving it the respect it deserves:D. Glad your DD had a good experience:D! Thanks for sharing her story with us!!! I think so many times ppl tend to say negative things about Prep Op & that is why so many ppl really don't understand it. But it's really difficult to have a discussion regarding Prep Opt, because it is run so differently state to state & gym to gym:(.

I like it when states have 3 different levels of Prep Opt. Like you described. That really opens up the program to all kinds of athletes & allows room for growth in skill development. I really wish it were like that nationwide. I think if all states ran Prep Opt more uniformly, the program would really take off. It's a very untapped market IMHO. I really believe Prep Opt would be a good fit for many girls, who end up leaving the sport for lack of other options. And like your DD LizzieLac it can be a fun way to enter the sport! But the program has to be run well & the gymnasts need to be respected(ie. good coaching & real team atmosphere).

Parrothead, I recommend you talk to some Prep Opt parents from your area, to find out how Prep Opt is run in your neck of the woods. And of course, talk with DD's coaches to see what they recommend. Good Luck! Please keep us posted!

I wish prep op was the same nationwide. It makes it hard to compete out of your state. It's a great option if your gym takes it seriously. People in JO look down on it, but my dd is learning the skills she wants to do and can do verses what the routine requires.

Thank you to everyone for your responses and the reference to an earlier thread. These responses confirmed what I was already thinking and I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

I feel the prep opt program is such a good idea as it will reach more children and keep them in the gym longer.

Not every kid is going to make it to Level 9 and 10 or elite. Heck, so many kids don't even make it to level 5....

It seems like you can either route a child directly into this from lower levels or retain a team gymnast that may be wavering about stayng in the gym.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts.

Our gym actually does both. Compulsory in the fall and Prep Op in the spring. The girls love it because they get their own music and routines, it is more relaxed & fun. But, there is no $ or hours difference for us. They train the same hours in spring for Prep Op as they do in fall for compulsory. HC really uses it so they can have some fun and change things up a bit after the compulsory season.

good luck to your DD

Woo-hoo!!! Now you're talkin':D!!! I LOVE that idea!!! So tell me, in your opinion, how is Prep Opt viewed in MA by most coaches, gymnast & parents? Are Prep Opt gymnast treated with the respect they deserve?

I have to be honest in that I don't really know. At our gym, its just another path, not necessarily "lesser" just different. We really do use it as USAG has outlined it-- kids who want to do other activities or don't want a billion hours in the gym but want to keep doing gymnastics. We also have a lot of "older" (age 12-14ish) girls who are skill-wise level 3/4, progressing slowly and not likely to be optionals, but just love the sport.

As for the rest of MA, I couldn't say. I don't coach about level 2, mostly just rec, so I'm not usually even in the gym when these girls are practicing, and so I'm not at the meets to get a feel for the rest of the gymnastics community's feelings on it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back