DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
What's the best way to improve the grip on a pair of p-bars to prepare for giant swings? I know there are a lot of different formulas out there (water, honey, syrup, magic voodoo dance, whatever) to allow kids to better grip the bars, but I never worked anything harder than a moy to upper-arm on p-bars and so never really learned the tricks of the trade in this regard.

What have you found to be the most effective ways of preparing the bars for higher-level moy/giant work?

I put a lot of white sugar into water, then bring it to a strong boil in a microwave. While the water is still hot (super saturated) I use a rag to apply to the rail.

Normally one application is enough.

The worst system is SALT water. Too abrasive.

I put a lot of white sugar into water, then bring it to a strong boil in a microwave. While the water is still hot (super saturated) I use a rag to apply to the rail.

Normally one application is enough.

The worst system is SALT water. Too abrasive.

Would you then immediately put chalk on it, or just let it dry like that?

we use honey and chalk. works good enough. the boys don't complain.

they put the chalk right in to the honey bottle and stir/mix it up with a tongue depressor/stick. then they squirt a bit out every couple of days before work out, or the night before, and apply it directly to the bar. it dries pretty quick from what i have observed. we've been using this for over 20 years and seems to work consistently the best.

for a short time, they mixed the chalk with mountain dew. but it solidified and was hard to sand off.

i know what the coach above is talking about with the salt water. we have tried that also. even harder to sand down. and it scraped the crap out of their arms.

Not exactly planning to do this, but any thoughts to doing this or using some of this chalk putty on a High Bar that is often used for straps and has been polished bare for an unknown amount of years (probably MANY).

Of course, I wonder if it would cause problems for when the girls use it for strap bar.

I am currently looking into a few solutions in our gym such as a swappable adjustable single rail set-up over our resi-pits (expensive) or perhaps getting a new or used men's bar and swapping bars whenever I want the guys to swing HB. This is probably the cheapest method (as I'm not sure any of the other methods will get approved).

I am currently looking into a few solutions in our gym such as a swappable adjustable single rail set-up over our resi-pits (expensive) or perhaps getting a new or used men's bar and swapping bars whenever I want the guys to swing HB. This is probably the cheapest method (as I'm not sure any of the other methods will get approved).

We have an adjustable, swappable single-rail over the loose-foam pit at our gym, and we love it. Its so versatile and opens up many options for both classes and team--lowered with a mat underneath, its a great height for a preschool bar, and when its raised, our team girls can train giants and fly-aways.

Not exactly planning to do this, but any thoughts to doing this or using some of this chalk putty on a High Bar that is often used for straps and has been polished bare for an unknown amount of years (probably MANY).

Of course, I wonder if it would cause problems for when the girls use it for strap bar.

if you do, you must sand the high bar back down to smooth. yes, it can cause a problem if you don't. the pvc will bind and stop. but their wrists won't. understand? without me getting graphic??

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna try and buy a used men's bar and swap it out. This is a solution I might be able to do out of pocket if need be and there would be no changes to the gym required.

I'm sure the girl's coaches may get irked about swapping out bars but I refuse to teach anything more than L5 on that shiny, polished bar.

OTOH, it may be the reason none of the boys have ever ripped on it. It's still not safe for basically any swinging above the bar itself, IMO.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back